TRX-2: New TRX-2 Extremely Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianG61UK

I have both, had the 436 for a couple of years now and the TRX1 I've had for a couple of months. I use both with similar programming. They hear about the same for me - the TRX1 picks up a channel or two better than the 436 does. What kills is startup time on the TRX1. With a 32GB card in it startup is too slow. With the 436 and the same 32GB card I can hear my local fire horn, turn on the 436 and not miss the call. Not even close with the TRX1.

Why 32GB?

I use 8GB and it takes many weeks to fill that.

K4APR

I took my TRX-2 today on a seven hour trip from the Virginia Eastern Shore to Roanoke, VA. I scanned STARS most of the time and it seemed to do well. When I got to my hotel, I decided to work on tweaking my profile. I tried adding some new sites to the system and I noticed that some frequencies are rounding up/down to a 25 KHz equivalent. For exmaple, I type in 161.8875 and EZ Scan rounds it up to 161.8900

What gives? I'm guessing it's a setting in EZ Scan, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it! Had to enable Flexible Frequency entry.

K4APR

Things are working better now that I have had a few days with the TRX-2. I am in the habit of powering it on after I start the car and powering it down before I turn the car off. My initial problems with it losing the main unit was on the bench, using a high quality, stable power supply. Car DC power can be much more flaky. So I'm just doing my best to prevent it from acting up. That seems to be working.

Programming is getting better. I'm tweaking it here and there to improve things. I LOVE that I can just pop the SD card out, take it inside, update it and then pop it back in the radio the next time I drive somewhere. I hated pulling my old scanners or taking my laptop out to the car to make a change. That was always such a huge pain.

I guess I can say, my frustration has eased off considerably since my initial post :)

CycleSycho

Like I have said in the past with these radios, most all errors and problems are user created. I have owned 2 Whistler scanners for 3 years now, I don't have any issues. When the user manual is not read, then blame the problems on the radio. Most problems are created by the user, connecting scanner to computer via USB while scanner is on or not properly ejecting/removing media. Not properly powering on or off radio by pressing and holding down the power button for a couple seconds. Plugging in and unplugging the radio while the radio is on with external power. All this stuff is in the manual that most users evidently don't read, then blame Whistler.

This by no means is directed at original poster, it is just a general overall observation with issues posted in these forums, both Whistler and Uniden.

I completely understand your point. However, not all here are ignorant due to laziness. i.e. I have 20+ years experience in public safety communications. I have had great whistler and uniden units. My PSR-400 HANDS DOWN is the best conventional trunking scanner I've ever owned. My handheld bearcat four-six back in the day had been my favorite HH. My Relm MS200 in the late 90's was the most sensitive straight up conventional that could go head to head with my Icom IC-R5. The point is, there will always be the last one made on Friday before the holiday weekend unit. I wholeheartedly agree the reference to not reading they manual ect. I have had a major issue with my WS1095 in the 150-160 Mhz range both conventional and digital. I have sent files and zips to whistler and my config is fine. To those who don't read and learn the proper method, you reap what you sow. To those of you / us who genuinely have an issue, we sympathize. Icom, Whistler, Uniden ect. YMMV. I sincerely hope we can all help, and point each other in the right direction - in order to have the best experience possible. This is by no means a direct attack on the previous poster- just a reiteration with my 2¢.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) I found it best to plug directly into a USB port on the MB (using the cable). Those 'card readers' on many PC's are not all created equal, and sometimes ppl plug a 'hub' cable into that card readers USB port. Laptops also use a card reader as well but many times an external USB card reader is also used. If you are using just the SD card for the library update, I have yet to see or hear of a problem with plugging it into a laptop installed generic card reader or a card reader plugged into a motherboard USB port (not a USB port on the PC card reader). Point is, do not 'string' anything between the MB USB port and the radio if at all possible. I found those factory PC installed card readers are real cheap, and quirky. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.