New TRX-2, stuck in boot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

theTastyCat

Hey all - new TRX-2 today. Installed the software from the card, then went to updating all firmware/libraries/everything else. At one point, the scanner started with "Initializing SD interface, updating firmware...DO NOT POWER OFF", then ever so briefly gives an error message and something about error code 4 before shutting off, powering back on, and doing this over and over. I removed the SD, reformatted to FAT32 on a PC, and put it back - same thing.

*Except*

...what when I plug up the USB I have a 50/50 chance of getting either the above *or* the standard "Error detected" message with Error 3-02 at the bottom.

What on earth? I've tried another SD, another cable, and another PC. I'm stumped. I tried the CPU firmware reinstaller but it requires an actual decent connection. Right now, I've got the standard error message (3-02), but it's reading the SD card as drive E. Any chance I can put something on the card this way that will at least allow the scanner to boot so I can communicate with it through EZScan?

Thanks all!!!

theTastyCat

Forgot to mention that I did the Windows 10 fix as well, and it does appear under the Device Manager as a Whistler TRX-2 Serial Device. But when I try to reformat, still comes back with "unable to communicate" :( Help very much appreciated!

theTastyCat

Update! Found in the manual that it says format FAT or FAT32, but also 32kb cluster size. Reformatted accordingly.

Also, according to the manual, removed power from the scanner and held the power button for one minute. Got everything back together and it does appear that it's working!! Happy face.

theTastyCat

....................so it was scanning. Wasn't getting any traffic so removed power and replugged USB...and got the "Initializing SD Interface/upgrading firmware", then crash. Sigh.......reformatting.......

theTastyCat

Please don't look down on me for not knowing everything about these scanners. As I said, I literally just got it and am trying to learn. Everybody was brand new at one point and these scanners are hardly simple devices.

theTastyCat

Per your edit, I did search the forum previously but didn't find an answer.

I'm guessing that when I unplug the USB it's considered powering down, which I suppose is corrupting the SD card. I'm going to try powering it down via the power button next time. Didn't realize the scanner was fully "on" enough in USB mode to need that.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Any time you remove the SD CARD power must be off. Also not ever time I remove the usb does it kill the scanner. If this is a new out of the box scanner you need to update to the newest firmware. You have to be running the newest version of the PC app to update to the newest firmware.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
With the scanner off, when you plug in the USB cable you can do the updates, send to the SD card (assuming it shows as a drive on your computer, that is), etc., and unplugging it when finished should not cause any issues with the SD card.

The SD card issues usually only arise when someone has the scanner setup to record traffic (so it would be writing what it's receiving over the airwaves) and power is pulled from the scanner without proper power down (holding the power button).

I don't use the record feature and have never had a corrupt card (I'm knocking on wood as I type...).

Make sure the PC App is up to date then close it (EZ Scan). Connect USB to powered off scanner, let computer recognize it, open EZ Scan and have it check for updates. It should find that it needs firmware and DSP updates, as well as the database. Do firmware first, then DSP, then database. Then disconnect it and power it on. Try that.

theTastyCat

So I had it back up and running again, then went to "power-down" the scanner when is USB mode and the power button did nothing; I had no choice but to unplug USB since I've read to never have USB and power plugged it at the same time. Same thing happened - tried to update firmware, stuck in boot loop. How on earth am I supposed to exit USB mode without corrupting the card???

Starting over again......

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So I had it back up and running again, then went to "power-down" the scanner when is USB mode and the power button did nothing; I had no choice but to unplug USB since I've read to never have USB and power plugged it at the same time. Same thing happened - tried to update firmware, stuck in boot loop. How on earth am I supposed to exit USB mode without corrupting the card???

Starting over again......

Correct. The power button shouldn't work in that case. It is controlled via the USB cable at that point.

I always leave power connected. Just turn off the scanner, wait a few seconds, and connect the USB cable. It should recognize it and work. It should show up as a drive on your computer after it recognizes it.

theTastyCat

Issue solved by keeping the power cord in and turning off, then inserting USB. No issues since!

Status
Not open for further replies.