TwoToneDetect New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

aaknitt

Feed Provider
[/LIST]
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but those of us on Win7 64-bit, should use the 64 bit version, no?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with the 32 bit version with no issues. Haven't tried the 64 bit version, I'm guessing it would also work.

Andy

oab2

Feed Provider
If I can ask, what are you using to get a single exe file? I have found that I don't get any errors if I run the py source file.

gavinnelson

First I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for this script as it works better then anything else and it is a great service that you provide this for free. I am hoping someone might have the answer to my question. I have set it up with two tones in the config. The first one goes to firealerts@domain.org which is a Google Distribution list which then sends it off to the mms addresses rather then going one by one with the script. I find this makes the speed of the message get sent faster when you have larger lists. For the second tone set, I have it go to squadalerts@domain.org, however there is a problem. It gets sent out but it does not send to Verizon mms addresses. However it does sent to t-mobile, AT&T, and e-mail. It truly makes no sense, and no NDN or rejection is received by the sending account. If I send a regular plain text e-mail to the distribution list, squadalerts@ it receives fine.

Oddly, this exact same thing happened with the fire list and I redid the config file (Reinstalled) and it worked fine. It truly makes no sense, because the program has already done its job of sending it (As far as I know) and it is being sent, just not to some addresses. Is there possibly something that Verizon does not like in the file? Any ideas at all? I know this make's no sens technically speaking but it is the case. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

oab2

Feed Provider
for verizon MMS make sure they are sent to #@vzwpix.com and purely text to #@vtext.com

I'm not trying to miss your question but I have had some lately that didn't go through because they were getting sent to the wrong verizon server.

I had not thought of using distribution lists. How exactly did you set this up?

One thing I think would be nice is to have a test email send feature. That way one could test setting with out having to wait for a page.

gavinnelson

In Depth Overview of Problem & Distrubition List

I have previously set my department up with "Google Apps". It's a great asset to us because it is free (Or was, still is to some extent) and gives us a lot of tools while still keeping our original domain name.

Part of Google apps is the ability to use a distribution list, traditionally we have used this for our departmental announcements, ex. membership@domainname.org goes to the entire company using the established list of e-mail addresses.

A nearby department uses a program called SafAlert (Which seems to not be the greatest) and it sends it one by one which can cause a major delay to people at the bottom of the list. Before implementing our system I was on theirs to test and on a house fire (or any call where multiple tones were played within a short time) I would get the call on my phone literally a day later.

To try and mitigate this I tried using one of these distribution lists and it works perfect. There is no delay, the program does its job by sending it to the list, and the list takes over the rest. Using a service like Google you assume their speeds are going to be great so any delay will be from cell reception & carrier, and this seems to have proven itself over and over again through my testing.

Just to explain how all this works:
The e-mail address used to send from the program itself is 'alerts@domainname.org' and if it detects a fire tone it sends that page and audio file to 'firealerts@domainname.org' which then sends it to all on the list. The same goes for the Squad, however it uses the cleverly chosen name of 'squadalerts@domainname.org'. The fire list works perfectly, like a charm. However the Squad list will not send to Verizon MMS addresses, however as I mentioned every other carrier including e-mail receives it fine.

I have attached a picture of the list to see if I am doing something wrong, but for all intents and purposes the list should be almost identical to the established and working fire list. As I mentioned before I was encountering this problem on the fire list, when I reconfigured / reinstalled the program it all started working again. This is quite the dabockle for someone with technical knowledge because the program as already done its job by sending the mp3 e-mail to the list (Because SOME people are getting it!), and if you go to the sent e-mails of the 'alerts@domainname.org' it IS there. So there is some reason as to why it is not getting sent through to Verizon. The only thing I can think of is it's getting rejected by Verizon due to some problem or something it does not like. However that being said I get no rejection e-mail, no NDN, or no other indication that it may of failed or been rejected.

The settings, I think are the same as the fire side, with the exception of the name. I'm thinking of changing the name to the same name as the fire side and see if that solves anything. It sounds trivial but it's really the only remaining thing to test, that I can think of.

Lastly the nice thing about a distribution list is, I have a test list too. With myself and a few other test subjects. So I can easily change out firealerts or squadalerts to testalerts@domainname.org and play a audio file of the tones and audio and I can test it without annoying the entire department.

I'm hoping I will be able to bring a resolution to this problem shortly, if anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!
Stay safe,
Steven

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 723

Manichee

I had not thought of using distribution lists. How exactly did you set this up?

I use distribution lists for mine as well. When the tones go out it sends an email to the list and then the list forwards it to the users. This way users can sign up as needed and I don't have to edit a config file every time someone wants to be added or removed. I am using a linux server running (Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager)

ScanYak

Feed Provider
After installing v49 version using ffmpeg.exe, I noticed the mp3 audio files are double the size of v48 version using LAME. Since I only have need of the mp3 I switch back to v48.

gavinnelson

After installing v49 version using ffmpeg.exe, I noticed the mp3 audio files are double the size of v48 version using LAME. Since I only have need of the mp3 I switch back to v48.

Maybe that's why mine are taking much longer to come in, today I got one 6 hours later. It's embarrassing for me after I preached it was tested to be fast (I tested w/48 and 46). Maybe I will try going back to v48.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Not sure if other people are experiencing the same thing, but a couple times in the past week I've had calls that I didn't get alerted to on my phone. When I went and manually checked my phone's MMS inbox the messages were there, they just hadn't been downloaded and I hadn't gotten a vibe/beep alert on my phone. Not sure if this is an issue with Verizon or what.

In a future version of the program I'll get the mp3 size reduced and/or make the mp3 and amr settings configurable.

Andy

DC31

Feed Provider
Testing

Oab:
One thing I think would be nice is to have a test email send feature. That way one could test setting with out having to wait for a page.[/QUOTE]

I have a free ipad/iphone app called Tone: the ultimate tone generator. Use this to generate tones. Get an audio cord with mini plugs on each end. Connect the earphone jack on th ipad to the mike input on your computer. Then you can fake any tones that you need. You can also use sound recorder (in the main computer) to record tone sets for playback.

freqfreaks

I have been running the Labview version for a while now (which crashed every couple of days) and I just installed version 49 and it works flawlessly on my Windows XP Home 32 bit PC. The best part about the new version (besides the fact that it doesn't crash) is the fact that it handles the stacked pages just the way I wanted it to. I had experimented with SafAlert, but I had trouble with the stacked page alerts doing what I wanted. In fact I was running Sandboxie to run multiple instances of SafAlert and TwoTone Detect to get them to deal with the stacked pages in the manner that I wanted, but the new Python version does EXACTLY what I have wanted all along. Other than polishing the user interface, I say it is perfect the way it is (although a built in function to figure out new tones would be a nice bonus.).

oab2

Feed Provider
I'm hoping I will be able to bring a resolution to this problem shortly, if anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!
Stay safe,
Steven

I am wondering if your running up against a Verizon spam blocker. It could be Verizon sees too many text messages being pushed from your email and flags it as spam. As to why the other address hasn't got blocked it could be more emails are sent on this one.

freqfreaks

I do have one feature suggestion that I think would be fairly easy to implement. In addition to the "To" type of e-mail field, I would like to also have a "BCC" type of field. Because there is essentially only a To field, everyone in the addressee list appears to see the e-mail addresses of all the other recipients, making it easy for someone to inadvertently (or purposely) do a reply all and send it to everyone. In my case, I use Boxcar to alert my iPhone for specific messages and because there is no way to hide the address from the other people, all the other recipients will know my secret boxcar e-mail address.

I know that I could work around this by using a third party distribution list, but I would like to do it right from the application.

Thanks. Still loving version 49.

oab2

Feed Provider
Technical problem

Here is my issue: Department 1's tones are A,B. Department 2's tones are B,A. So when dept 2 is toned the program is waiting for dept 1's b tone. This has caused one incorrect page so far when the program found .4 length of B in radio traffic.

So I have 2 questions: how long does the program keep looking for B tone once A tone is found? And will changing Btonelength to .8 fix this?

Also, I am running the source in python file because I had some changes that I wanted to make to customize the output text. Is there a line of code I can add to make the program append output to a log.txt file with time stamping? I want to be able to see from my recorded audio what causes incorrect pages.

thanks!

Last edited:

aaknitt

Feed Provider
So I have 2 questions: how long does the program keep looking for B tone once A tone is found? And will changing Btonelength to .8 fix this?

It keeps looking for 4 seconds. Changing the Btonelength to .6 or .8 should help reduce falsing, but it could also increase the chance of missed pages, so increase it as little as possible.

Andy

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

I just upgraded to v49 from the Labview version and I'm seeing the same thing. Previously all my attachments were ~72kb, the first one from this version came in at ~255kb.

Update: Hmmm... I've also already had 2 false pages sent out during regular chatter on the channel. I think I better switch back to the Labview version for now.

Last edited:

oab2

Feed Provider
It keeps looking for 4 seconds. Changing the Btonelength to .6 or .8 should help reduce falsing, but it could also increase the chance of missed pages, so increase it as little as possible.

Andy

Man I have gone back and checked the audio and I for the life of me can't see why it kicked out a false page. It tripped the false page 15 seconds after the end of the first pages B tone. Also looking at your code it appears you have it do a .2 second check twice to find if the A and B tone is correct. I don't see how it would have picked up both the A & B tones from mere talking. Any help would be great.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I just upgraded to v49 from the Labview version and I'm seeing the same thing. Previously all my attachments were ~72kb, the first one from this version came in at ~255kb.

That's because someone requested that the mp3 files be recorded in stereo for better audio quality. It's a feature :)

Maybe someday that will be configurable.

Update: Hmmm... I've also already had 2 false pages sent out during regular chatter on the channel. I think I better switch back to the Labview version for now.

The detection algorithm should be pretty much identical, I'm not sure why you'd see different results.

Andy