TwoToneDetect New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

Manichee

Ok I re did ffmpeg in stead of the latest version I went with the one in the link. Now I get a totally new error.
("note that the latest version and the linked version are not the same. the read me says get the latest or the link and they are not the same. dont know if it matters but it confused me.")

Just to make sure I am not missing anything, In my twotonedetect folder I have:
ffmpeg-git-a254452-win32-static.7z
audio
config.cfg
GNU3.txt
README
sampleconfig
sampletones
tones
twoToneDetect49.exe
twoToneDetect49.py

ERROR I get now.

recording audio
done writing WAV
['00:00', '13:25', '00:00', '00:00']
['00:00', '13:35', '00:00', '00:00']
Unhandled exception in thread started by <function alert at 0x02C799F0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 332, in alert
File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect49\outPYZ1.pyz/subprocess", line
679, in __init__
File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect49\outPYZ1.pyz/subprocess", line
893, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Sorry if I am being a pain but this is all way over my head.
-Chad

You need to use a program like winrar or 7-zip to extract the file from ffmpeg-git-a254452-win32-static.7z and place ffmpeg.exe file in the twotonedetect directory.

WILLAMNEUMANN

Error Message on startup

I followed all the instructions now I get a error message as follows then the program window shuts down.

NameError: name `inv_input_device_indices' is not defined

any help would be great looks like this program has been out for a while and people love it

chad3405

You need to use a program like winrar or 7-zip to extract the file from ffmpeg-git-a254452-win32-static.7z and place ffmpeg.exe file in the twotonedetect directory.

O wow.....
I just formatted my pc to windows 7. Guess I forgot winrar.
Thanks man works great now.

jstinnett

I am looking for a way to make it record without having to wait on our tones to drop so I can test and make sure everyone on the list is getting it like they should. I cant set the tones off every time someone says theirs isnt working right or its to loud/soft. A button you press , so the program thinks the tones have been set off so then I can talk into my radio and have it sent it out, would be great.

Andy14120

For people having troubles getting MP3 to their cell phones... try sending the AMR audio format. It is treated as a voice message and it's not typically blocked.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
v50 Released

Hi everyone,

I just posted v50, which adds support for an an optional parameter that can be added to each tone set in the tones.cfg file called ignore_after. This parameter allows you to specify a time period (in seconds) that a tone set will be ignored after a valid detection of the same tone set. This is intended to eliminate multiple emails in jurisdictions where the tones are set off multiple times for the same page.

For those of you who were having problems with getting multiple emails for the same page because of how your dispatch center does the paging, give this a try and let me know how it works. For anyone else there's no real reason to upgrade to this version, that's the only change.

Andy

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have v50 up and running and so far so good. One question though... on the recording filename

XJH299_Strathroy_2011-10-3011_59_29_228000

what is the 228000? and I know it's nit picky but can another underscore be put between the time and date?

ie XJH299_Strathroy_2011-10-30_11_59_29_228000 or even change the time format to 2011-10-30_11-59-29 (I find this much easier to read).

Other than that no new concerns. Keep up the great work, I really appreciate it!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I had one problem with a false decode in the night during a stacked page... but I'm not sure this one could be avoided. Here was the sequence of events:

Department #1 was toned out using an A-B tone of 398.1 and 489.8.
Second tone in the stacked page was a long tone of 398.4.

During the transition from department #1's B tone into the A tone it triggered department #3 who uses an A-B tone of 489.8 and 398.1, so I can certainly see why the program thought it was a valid tone.

Any suggestions for preventing something like that? Obviously if the dispatcher had of sent out the tones in a different order it wouldn't have happened at all

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Yeah that is a tricky one. The only way I can think of to handle that is to be much more strict about the tone durations, but that gets tricky and may increase the likelihood of missed pages. I'd be curious to know whether the department #3 pagers went off in that scenario.

Andy

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No they would not have.... I'm scanning 2 dispatch frequencies and that department is on the other channel. Worse case I could run a dedicated setup for each channel but I can't see this scenario happening too often.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Ah I see. One feature that's been on my to do list for awhile is to add the actual radio frequency to the tones.cfg file so that if you're using a Uniden DMA scanner you could set it up so that it only alerts if the tone and radio frequency match. Not sure what kind of scanner you're using, but that might help if I ever get around to adding that.

Andy

N1EO

Andy,
The v50 new "ignore" addition to the program works here no longer getting two recording for each event. Awesome! Thank you.

Ed

freqfreaks

Andy,

v50 is working great and the new ignore setting also addressed my duplicate page issues caused by the page being sent out twice from two different towers.

Thanks for the great work! The program just keeps getting better and better.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I had a false today where the dispatchers voice was mistaken for a 540hz long tone. What duration is the software coded for before a long tone is seen a valid? Can that be user configurable like the two tone B tone configuration?

Feed Provider
First of all nice job Andy. Last night my county paged out 13 depts all at the same time avg. 2 mins to do this for a major fire. The 1st 4 depts. got emails put of coarse was nothing but tones being activated. Do you think it maybe possible in the next revision to set a delay time in between tone set before emailing. example - dept 1, waiting dept 2 waiting dept 3 waiting record, email? I am using v49 not a big deal but was just wondering thanks

jel122

Got it running and works great. Thanks for this great program. All the guys were happy with this program.

For those who are wanting to try to get it up and running I edited the tone.cfg file, then used Online Tuning Fork which is an online tone generator to create the specific tone. This then would trigger it to start recording. When I got it all working, I then did a test page to make sure that everything else was set right, ie tones, volume...

Also some people were having problems with the file being sent to their phone. Do a search for the mms address for that phone carrier. The mms is usually different then the sms or standard text address. If you send it to the sms (text) address it will strip the file off of the text. If you still have problems have them send a picture to your email address. This will have the the phone number along with the correct gateway.

Common ones that I have found are
Verizon Wireless @vzwpix.com
AT&T @mms.att.net

Here are several websites that have the mms gateways.
email to sms and mms gateway services
How to Send an MMS (Text Message Picture) With*Your*iPhone | Art of the iPhone

Last edited:

jel122

I was wondering if you could make a couple of changes. It would be nice to have a blind carbon copy for the emails. I was asked if this was possible since it shows everyone that the page was sent to on their phone.

It would also be nice to have a seperate program that would edit the config files. Maybe having where both the A/B tones and the settings for them would be displayed so that a person could just have a test page done, and then it would display the info. Then they could either push a button to copy and paste it into the config area or at least manually enter it.

I don't know if they would allow it but possibly making a zip file that would already have the lame and ffmpeg files already in their correct places seems to me that some people are having trouble with this.

Last edited: