• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Unication G5 owner- need some guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridafuzz

Hi to all-
I just received my new G5 a couple of days ago. Battery installed and all charged up. I need some help on where to begin to learn how to program my unit.
I watched a video on the Unication site last night on programming and it seemed very involved. Where do I begin? I would like to program in the RISCON system into my unit to start. I would like to get it working with one talk group to start so I can load my information into the beta software for digital trunking. Is there a Youtube video or guide posted somewhere that would help me get started? Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

floridafuzz

I downloaded the software for the G5 from the Unication website. It is asking me for a user name and password. Do I have to sign up someplace to use this software?

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
you need to download the csv files for the system from RR. then import into pps.

AdamHLG

I was at your starting point one month ago. There is a steep learning curve but once you get it, you "get it". Start by going to YouTube and searching for "Unication Programming" and "how to program Unication G5" and searches like that. There are about 5 videos I found, and 2 of them REALLY helped me get started. Another thing you can do is go into Rhode Island sub-forum here on Radio Reference (based on your location under your user name) and search in that sub-forum for a PPS code plug that someone shared. Or, ask in that sub-forum if someone is willing to share a code plug with you to get you started. You can then import that into the PPS software. This is how I started and once I had my "ahhh ha" moment I started my own PPS code plug and eventually built it into 16 zones with 8 knob positions each for multiple P25 systems in my area! Good luck its a great radio I love mine!

floridafuzz

I was at your starting point one month ago. There is a steep learning curve but once you get it, you "get it". Start by going to YouTube and searching for "Unication Programming" and "how to program Unication G5" and searches like that. There are about 5 videos I found, and 2 of them REALLY helped me get started. Another thing you can do is go into Rhode Island sub-forum here on Radio Reference (based on your location under your user name) and search in that sub-forum for a PPS code plug that someone shared. Or, ask in that sub-forum if someone is willing to share a code plug with you to get you started. You can then import that into the PPS software. This is how I started and once I had my "ahhh ha" moment I started my own PPS code plug and eventually built it into 16 zones with 8 knob positions each for multiple P25 systems in my area! Good luck its a great radio I love mine!
Wow! Thank you for that information! There is someone in the RI Forum that extolled the virtues of the G5 over a regular scanner radio. That is one of the reasons I went with a G5. Todays scanners still miss all or part of the calls on the radio. I wanted something better. I have been reading the Unication forum and decided to take the plunge. Thank you again!

AdamHLG

Wow! Thank you for that information! There is someone in the RI Forum that extolled the virtues of the G5 over a regular scanner radio. That is one of the reasons I went with a G5. Todays scanners still miss all or part of the calls on the radio. I wanted something better. I have been reading the Unication forum and decided to take the plunge. Thank you again!

If you haven't done so already, register for the beta software. It is not released yet and Unication Nation is anxiously awaiting the end of May which is the purported release time frame. This will give you a solid 2 weeks to learn the PPS software and once the beta is released all you'll need to do is learn how to program the new features in PPS. From what I have read, we will not need to start over again, but I suspect I will make a duplicate code plug and make numerous changes to my zones. The ability to hold on a TG is a major new anticipated feature that will allow me to combine many zones and knob positions for seldom used TGs on a particular P25 system into a single zone / knob position that I can "hold" during an incident. It will make operation of the G5 way more convenient. This feature is coming to firmware 1.3 even if you do not install the beta; however, its not in the current PPS so you cannot program it yet. The 1.4 beta that allows scanning multiple P25 systems will also be pretty neat. I mostly use for fire monitoring for my jurisdiction and surrounding jurisdictions, and I plan on programming the beta in such a way that I can put the main dispatch TG for 5 different P25 systems into a single knob position when things are slow at our firehouse and I am casually listening. I would then be able to flip the knob to that jurisdiction and scan tactical TGs to hold on the incident TG to listen to the incident. At least that's the concept but I don't yet know how the programming will work on version 1.4. Really looking forward to the beta but loving the radio as-is in the meantime. And, you are correct. A moment will soon arrive for you that your G5 will lock on to the P25 system you want to hear, and then lock on to the TG you want to hear, and when that happens, a subtle "holy ****" will be mumbled under your breath as to how much better the G5 blows away P25 monitoring on scanners. It is literally the same as holding a $8K portable radio.

floridafuzz

If you haven't done so already, register for the beta software. It is not released yet and Unication Nation is anxiously awaiting the end of May which is the purported release time frame. This will give you a solid 2 weeks to learn the PPS software and once the beta is released all you'll need to do is learn how to program the new features in PPS. From what I have read, we will not need to start over again, but I suspect I will make a duplicate code plug and make numerous changes to my zones. The ability to hold on a TG is a major new anticipated feature that will allow me to combine many zones and knob positions for seldom used TGs on a particular P25 system into a single zone / knob position that I can "hold" during an incident. It will make operation of the G5 way more convenient. This feature is coming to firmware 1.3 even if you do not install the beta; however, its not in the current PPS so you cannot program it yet. The 1.4 beta that allows scanning multiple P25 systems will also be pretty neat. I mostly use for fire monitoring for my jurisdiction and surrounding jurisdictions, and I plan on programming the beta in such a way that I can put the main dispatch TG for 5 different P25 systems into a single knob position when things are slow at our firehouse and I am casually listening. I would then be able to flip the knob to that jurisdiction and scan tactical TGs to hold on the incident TG to listen to the incident. At least that's the concept but I don't yet know how the programming will work on version 1.4. Really looking forward to the beta but loving the radio as-is in the meantime. And, you are correct. A moment will soon arrive for you that your G5 will lock on to the P25 system you want to hear, and then lock on to the TG you want to hear, and when that happens, a subtle "holy ****" will be mumbled under your breath as to how much better the G5 blows away P25 monitoring on scanners. It is literally the same as holding a $8K portable radio.
Adam-
Thanks for your suggestions! I watched one video on Youtube, very informative. I created and uploaded my first program to the G5 and waiting to hear my first broadcast. Spent about 3 hours doing it, my head is a little blown out! LOL. But if you follow the Youtube video, it all worked out so far.Got to take a break. Thanks again.

floridafuzz

What does the lightning bolt icon above the Trunking registered icon stand for? How would I get the Trunking scanning icon on my display?

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
If you have the T with a yellow bolt as you put it, it means it is locked on a control channel, if the T is flashing and has red X over it you are not locked on to the control channel

floridafuzz

If you have the T with a yellow bolt as you put it, it means it is locked on a control channel, if the T is flashing and has red X over it you are not locked on to the control channel
Hi Mike- How would I unlock the control channel so the unit would scan?

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Scanning of talk groups is under tab D5, Can you upload your file to the unication site, so we can look at it,

floridafuzz

Are you hearing any talk groups ?
Hi Mike-
was away from the computer. Not hearing any talkgroups. Tim sent me a cp file for the RISCON system. Got to figure out how to import it into my radio. Then I can see what I am not doing right. I want to learn the proper way to program my radio so I might help other new owners in the future. I can still send you my original file if you would like. Do I use the export link in the software? what address would I send it to?
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.