• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Unication G5 owner- need some guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridafuzz

try the one Tim sent you, use Tab F1 to import, Tab E to program
Imported in and exported ok, but when I went to program got the following message:
The band type of the device is SXUD. But the profile is SXVX. cannot program with different band.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike-
was away from the computer. Not hearing any talkgroups. Tim sent me a cp file for the RISCON system. Got to figure out how to import it into my radio. Then I can see what I am not doing right. I want to learn the proper way to program my radio so I might help other new owners in the future. I can still send you my original file if you would like. Do I use the export link in the software? what address would I send it to?
Marc
Save the file somewhere on your PC. Tab F, then F1 in the PPS. Import the file then you can choose tab D to choose which profile you want to open to modify or program to your pager.

floridafuzz

Save the file somewhere on your PC. Tab F, then F1 in the PPS. Import the file then you can choose tab D to choose which profile you want to open to modify or program to your pager.
Thank you Tim-
I am going to look at how it's set up 1st and try to compare it to mine to see what I missed first. I would like to learn what steps or information that I need to change to make mine workable. Again- much appreciated for the file.
Marc

AdamHLG

Thank you Tim-
I am going to look at how it's set up 1st and try to compare it to mine to see what I missed first. I would like to learn what steps or information that I need to change to make mine workable. Again- much appreciated for the file.
Marc
Your “ahh-ha” moment is imminent.

floridafuzz

Your “ahh-ha” moment is imminent.
Hi Adam-
Thank you for all your encouragement. I am still patiently waiting for my ahh-ha moment. I went thru the file that Tim sent me and redid my own profile. Still no luck yet. Here is the question for you and anyone else that might know the answer.
When I turn on the unit it starts off scanning and then LOCKS on a control channel. How do I prevent the unit from locking on a control channel and keep scanning till it receives a transmission.?

floridafuzz

Locking on the control channel is what you want in P25.
It will then switch to whichever TG becomes active.
OK- so I theoretically might have did it right so far. I will add some more talk groups that might be more active to see if I can hear a transmission.

floridafuzz

Can one have more than one primary control channel in a scan list?
I guess I can, I just received a transmission. My ahh-ha moment.
Wow! Just received another in the clear transmission.
It's working!!
Thanks for all the great input from all who responded! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have to convert from a UHF D to a VHF tab C2 note the model number
Can one have more than one primary control channel in a scan list?
I guess I can, I just received a transmission. My ahh-ha moment.
Wow! Just received another in the clear transmission.
It's working!!
Thanks for all the great input from all who responded! Much appreciated.
Congrats LOL now sit back and enjoy

floridafuzz

Looks like you have to convert from a UHF D to a VHF tab C2 note the model number

Congrats LOL now sit back and enjoy
Thanks Mike-
My next challenge is now to try and load a P25 Conventional into the radio(Cranston PD, 4 channels) and then get the unit to scan the P25 trunking system and the P25 conventional system at the same time. Also how would I see my Codeplug info so I can put my name in the upcoming Beta software.
Thanks again,
Marc

bkramm

Yes you can have more than 1 frequency in the control channel list.
I have one system that has 13 frequencies in the list because any one of them could be
the control channel at any given time. Changes often, depends on the type of system, (Harris)
I also have a statewide system that has 100+ in the list that has 71 sites
and many freq's.

floridafuzz

Yes you can have more than 1 frequency in the control channel list.
I have one system that has 13 frequencies in the list because any one of them could be
the control channel at any given time. Changes often, depends on the type of system, (Harris)
I also have a statewide system that has 100+ in the list that has 71 sites
and many freq's.

OK- Thank you.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have been using scanners and radio equipment for over 50 years and the only reason I never purchased a Unication is my inability to understand how to program one. I've talked to people on the phone and watched many videos but makes no sense to me. I met a person on the internet that said they would write me a program for my area but that doesn't teach me why and how to program one myself or how to use a Unication. I would need someone to sit down with me and teach me step by step how to program a Unication and explain why a certain setting is chosen. There are no clinics available and have never met anyone in Southeast Florida that owns one. And I belong to two Amateur Radio Clubs. Never even heard anyone ever mentioning a Unication either. Love my Scanners and Ham equipment I use on a daily basis and understand them 100%. Maybe one day...………..

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There are no clinics available and have never met anyone in Southeast Florida that owns one.
Since Unications are commonly in use as fire pagers, you may want to check with local fire departments to see if anyone may be willing to assist you. The programming is more complex than your average scanner, but it's really a matter of knowing what to plug in and where. I personally don't try to understand all aspects of programming. Things have been simplified since we got the ability to import CSV files from RR, and firmware now in beta will incorporate several improvements aimed at the scanner user. So Unication does respond to customer input.

RBMTS

I have been using scanners and radio equipment for over 50 years and the only reason I never purchased a Unication is my inability to understand how to program one. I've talked to people on the phone and watched many videos but makes no sense to me. I met a person on the internet that said they would write me a program for my area but that doesn't teach me why and how to program one myself or how to use a Unication. I would need someone to sit down with me and teach me step by step how to program a Unication and explain why a certain setting is chosen. There are no clinics available and have never met anyone in Southeast Florida that owns one. And I belong to two Amateur Radio Clubs. Never even heard anyone ever mentioning a Unication either. Love my Scanners and Ham equipment I use on a daily basis and understand them 100%. Maybe one day...………..

This is 2020. There are many ways for someone to be "virtually" sitting next to you, watching your screen while answering your questions. So don't give up thinking there isn't any alternatives beyond someone sitting next to you. As long as you have a computer (camera not necessary) and an internet connection, it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.