New Uniden BCD-396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4BWM

Premium Subscriber
Good evening. I received a new BCD-396XT for Christmas. I will be looking to program the trunking features and 800 MHZ talk groups later this month via computer, I will save those questions for another thread. In the mean time, Can someone simply explain to me how to program just simple frequencies just as 2 meter ham freqs, Aircraft, etc. I will be back for more at the end of the month. Thank you in advance

Steve

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Good evening. I received a new BCD-396XT for Christmas. I will be looking to program the trunking features and 800 MHZ talk groups later this month via computer, I will save those questions for another thread. In the mean time, Can someone simply explain to me how to program just simple frequencies just as 2 meter ham freqs, Aircraft, etc. I will be back for more at the end of the month. Thank you in advance

Steve

I think what you're asking is how to simply get some channels into your scanner so you can listen to something.

Even though you just want to program some simple frequencies, you need to create a "system" ("conventional") and at least one group to hold those frequencies. So, use the easier-to-read manual and learn how to create a conventional system (or multiple, name them "Aircraft", "Ham" etc. as you like) and add groups and channels to them. Start here: Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual - Programming Conventional Systems

I agree with the other suggestion to use Freescan, it will make programming 200% easier! :) This is especially important so that reorganizing things as you gain experience will be easier, down the road.

You didn't say if you have experience with other scanners, but it's important to understand how these radios organize things - systems, groups and channels, even if you are only doing non-trunk stuff in the beginning.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Steve
In addition to the "easier to read" manual linked by the posters above, you may also want to visit this page in the Wiki:
Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki
There are additional links there for various topics to help you understand how best to program your new scanner.

wtp

here goes

program system
new system
select system type
conventional
confirm
edit name(what ever best describes it)(if left alone it will assign a number)
go to edit group
new group
edit channel
new channel
input frequency (ie 155.55)
put in all that you want for the system
hit scan and check your work

as you enter info most systems will work with the default settings
if you feel you must change them you can
like 140.4 is defaulted to n.f.m. but you might want a.m. for an airshow
this will get you up and running

KF4BWM

Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys. Thank you !! I sincerely appreciate it. This worked and i have downloaded freescan 2.16 however I am waiting for the new USB programming cable to come tomorrow to finish the job. I will keep you all posted !! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KF4BWM

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon. I have received my cable and I have successfully started loading desire talk groups onto the scanner. My question now is in regards to FreeScan. How do you assign groups and channels the way that I the user wants them in Free Scan?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon. I have received my cable and I have successfully started loading desire talk groups onto the scanner. My question now is in regards to FreeScan. How do you assign groups and channels the way that I the user wants them in Free Scan?

There is a FreeScan user's guide in the Wiki:

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

There are links at the bottom for videos.

KF4BWM

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much Gentleman. I am still at a roadblock. Is there a way to organize or group TGID's in the scanner by agency type? For instance, Law, Fire, EMS? My other question is this. Is there a way to toggle through the talk groups and just monitor that talk group only ???

SDavis90

Certainly is..

Just put all your LE in one group, the Fire in another group, and EMS in their own group. Then assign a quick key to each group. That will enable you to select what you want to hear as in Law, Fire, EMS when on that system. When listening to that system at any time while scanning, press FUNC key on side and push number to activate/de-activate that particular group assigned to that key.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are several ways to do this, but it all depends on how you build your groups and assign your QKs (there's a pulldown for each)

Did you read the user guide, the link for which was given a couple of messages back? Or as an alternative, you can get to it via HELP / ONLINE HELP from the toolbar. Much depends on how you decide to do the imports, or if you're not satisfied, edit the data yourself. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.