New uniden bcd396xt Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman227

Today i got a new uniden bcd396xt and i was able to set it to scan starcom21 but it don't stop an anything so was wondering if there is a setting somewhere i need to change..Thank

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I just got my 996XT a few days ago. Are you using any kind of programming on your PC to program it with? If not I would recommend it. It lays thing out so it is easier to see what settings you have and how they are set. I am using FreeScan at the moment, so far I like it pretty well and it was free. There is a lot to learn though, it is not a get it and go type thing. It takes some time. I have spend a couple hours every day for the last 2 days and I have just now gotten to where I have channels I want programmed.. I still havent even figured out how to assign quick keys to them. If it picks up on something that is active it should hold on it untill the transmission is done and then depending on your delay it will hold for XX seconds before continuing scanning to see if a reply is sent. If your setting is to low for the delay after transmission end it will basically instantly resume scanning once the transmission stops. If it is not stopping on anything then something is set wrong or you aren't picking up anything.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
Today i got a new uniden bcd396xt and i was able to set it to scan starcom21 but it don't stop an anything so was wondering if there is a setting somewhere i need to change..Thank
Welcome to RR.
StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies Are you using any software? If so, which one?
There are many sites to this system. Did you pick the one closest to you? Might want to try another one that is not the closest. . It should be P25 Std and the red and blue freq's entered under the site.

The default is IDsearch, so you should not have to enter any talkgroups to see if it works. If IDscan is flashing when on this system, you should change it back to IDsearch.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
If you are using SQK-28 STARCOM pre-programmed then all those 800 freqys i think are not rebanded, may be still 15mgz too high.....just a thought....

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
yep

RoninJoilet is right, the 996xt I got a few weeks ago had outdated StarCom21 frequencies. I looked at what came on my 996xt and a lot of new systems, frequencies and talk groups were also missing, it was obviously very old info and out of date.Not only that. Lastly, the default setting for StarCom21 was set for scan and not search, which had me scratching my head for a while until I figured it out.

So you need to manually change each one on the 396xt itself (a lot - lot - lot of work), or you can use freescan on a PC to reinstall the latest IL Systems, Talk Groups and Frequencies. Using freescan and other software cause me to learn what was going on with the scanner and systems, and of course I had to read the improved owners manual too.

The info in this post will help:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/142504-uniden-346xt-software.html

Last edited:

madman227

captclint

Welcome to RR.
StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies Are you using any software? If so, which one?
There are many sites to this system. Did you pick the one closest to you? Might want to try another one that is not the closest. . It should be P25 Std and the red and blue freq's entered under the site.

The default is IDsearch, so you should not have to enter any talkgroups to see if it works. If IDscan is flashing when on this system, you should change it back to IDsearch.

captclint Now you said There are many sites to this system. Did you pick the one closest to you how would i go about selecting a differant site? ..Thanks

captclint

Mentor
captclint Now you said There are many sites to this system. Did you pick the one closest to you how would i go about selecting a differant site? ..Thanks
It all depends on whether you are using SQK-28 STARCOM pre-programmed, or are you manually entering frequencies for a particular site. The sites are listed here: StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System You would need to create a system with a site 3 (3) 059 (3B) St. Clair County - Simulcast.
If you don't know how to do this, perhaps you should get FREEscan software to help. It is free
You also need to deactivate SQK-28 STARCOM by hitting". no" and 29 while in the scan mode, as this is out of date. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.