New Uniden Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now that it has been out for a little while and everybody has had a chance to review it... you have to tell me whether it is worth getting or not. Im not one of those people to go out and buy every thing new that comes out, I want to give it some time to get the quirks out. I live in Willoughby, and will be scanning the Lake, Geauga, and Hillcrest region of cuyahoga county. Is it worth going to get now. Does it scan better then my BC396T? Also, how well does it scan conventional systems like Euclid and the Ashtabula for those of you that get that stuff? Just want peoples ideas before I go out and spend the money.

Thanks All.

Hulca

Honestly, there is no difference in reception compared to my 396T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TedRHayes

I have found the BCD436HP works pretty well here in SW Ohio. It far exceeds the performance of my PSR-800 and my BCD-996XT in its ability to follow the P25 Greene County Simulcast sub-system of the Ohio MARCS-IP system.

It seems to work about as well as my other scanners with conventional channels. Also works well with Aircraft and MILAIR.

As with any scanner, the performance is greatly effected by the antenna one is using. For general hand-held use around the house or elsewhere I have found the RS-800 MHz antenna works well. I usually connect it to an external antenna when I'm using it in my work area (I work from home), which does improve overall reception (especially Aircraft and MILAIR). While mobile I'll connect it to an external antenna if I can or use the RS-800.

I also use it with a GPS connected while mobile. Have used it frequently around SW and Central Ohio with good results. Recently made a "quick" 2600 mile trip to Texas and back utilizing the GPS and the built in national RRDB – worked very well.

It's not a perfect scanner, but I find I'm using it more than my other scanners.

I look forward to the future firmware updated that includes the Analyze feature. Hopefully that will not be too much longer. If it works like the Analyze feature on the HomePatrol-1, I should find it useful.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ted

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I also use it with a GPS connected while mobile. Have used it frequently around SW and Central Ohio with good results. Recently made a "quick" 2600 mile trip to Texas and back utilizing the GPS and the built in national RRDB – worked very well.

Ted,

What kind of connector is used for GPS, and can it accept any NMEA-0183 compatible GPS device?

lep

Better? Speed? Sensitivity? Audio??

The only thing to gain with the BCD436HP is phase 2 on MARCS IP should that happen. Also better simulcast performance.

No, you gain the ability to log UID which is not available in 396T ( I have a 396T and the 436 is much more useful to me for that reason alone). I have every Police HT in the department of interest to me in the file.
Therefore, when I am using the virtual control feature of ARC436PRO to log and I hear a response to a silent alarm on the screen I see which Detective SGT is on the scene as "PD210 SGT" appears on the screen of the scanner and in the LOG. Like the adverts say "priceless."

SCPD

QRT
OK lep but that would not be very useful for me. There are probably a lot more features to the 436 that I will never use. The OP's question was, is it better. If there are features on the 436 and not on the 396 that are important to him then it would be "better". Perhaps my response was over simplified.

Also I forgot to add you would really have to compare them side by side.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Is the conventional analog reception on the 436HP better, worse or the same as some earlier Unidens, such as the BCT15X? I own a 15X and I find it to be exceptionally sensitive.

Premium Subscriber
I have used the 436 with the MARCS IP Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake systems. Im extreamely pleases with the radios performance.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
My 436HP vs my 396T and 396XT (all good scanners)
1) Analog quality is about the same.
2) Overall digital, bit better on 436HP vs 396XT, much better than 396T.
3) Digital on simulcast trunk: Much better with 436HP, especially with FM, P25 manual settings.
4) Display: No comparison. Love all the info on the x36HPs.
5) Flexibility: Once I got used to FL/Sys/Dept concept, find 436HP much more flexible.
6) Built-in record feature: Big advantage for me. For example, going to Phoenix this week to visit daughter/son-in-law. Am I going to listen to the scanner all day long. No. But I will do a lot of recording and then listen when I have some time. Also will be recording some P25 stuff in airport in Orange County (CA) to listen to later. Scanner will be in my backpack.
So I think there is quite a bit to be gained. Not to mention that a lot of the LAPD/LASD will probably be on Phase 2 in next year or so.
Steve AA6IO

TedRHayes

Ted,

What kind of connector is used for GPS, and can it accept any NMEA-0183 compatible GPS device?

The 436 uses the Uniden specific 4 pin serial plug & cable that they have been using on their scanners for several years. It will connect to a NMEA-0183 device, typically at 4800 baud; you may need a null modem cable/adapter depending on the device. See: Serial Cable For Uniden Scanners and GPS Receiver for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

(Note: the 536 has a 9-pin DIN serial port on the back panel for GPS input).

The 436 GPS port can also be used as a serial port (up 115200 baud); I'm using it with the Uniden USB-1 cable to control/log the 436 with the Butel ARC536Pro software.

Status
Not open for further replies.