New Uniden Scanner (Any Idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
My guess would be a more capable remote control app rather than invest in hardware remote heads, but that would be nice for sure!

K4RBT

Instead of a new scanner, add a second processor to operate the front panel and leave the rest to the main. Running the display, as complex as I have seen here, takes a lot of processing. There is only so much you can load on the existing one without some compromise, like slower scanning, slower frequency lockup, and general housekeeping functions. The thing about the battery having to be made larger, look a the SDR dongles, they can be run on a Raspberry PI and not need a bodacious battery. Distribution is the answer. Also, cut some fluff.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My guess would be a more capable remote control app rather than invest in hardware remote heads, but that would be nice for sure!

I agree. A Uniden designed remote head would probably cost more than most people would be willing to pay. You can get old smart phones and tablets for pennies on the dollar that make great remote heads if they would just fix the Siren app! Or use something like Ford's Android Auto! What more could you do for a remote head than that?

Ubbe

Just put an older Android version on an old phone or tablet and it will run problem free. You probaly doesn't want to use the same phone for taking calls anyhow.

You can probably get a phone like a Samsung S4 for $20 and it doesn't even need to have a good working battery as you will power it from the USB cable anyhow.

There where other companies that did the apps for Uniden and there's very little chance that Uniden will put money in it to refine it so it would work with the latest Android versions. The Apple version seems to run fine with the latest IOS as Apple seems to have more control over app developers to make them follow guidlines to make apps future proof.

/Ubbe

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Seems like new models are introduced approximately every 5 years. Not sure what else they could release that would be an improvement to the SDS models without costing a lot more. As stated earlier, most of their development was done by Upman. Future software tweaks to the SDS models would nice but I don't see any evidence of that right now. I'll just enjoy what I have as Uniden seems to be the only player left in the scanner game.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I can't resist getting into the middle of rumor, conjecture and speculation. . .

I heard from someone who is fairly knowledgeable who made me promise not to say anything. So if you can keep a secret, Uniden will be making an announcement on a new scanner model when they are ready to do so and not a moment before.

Reconrider

I can't resist getting into the middle of rumor, conjecture and speculation. . .

I heard from someone who is fairly knowledgeable who made me promise not to say anything. So if you can keep a secret, Uniden will be making an announcement on a new scanner model when they are ready to do so and not a moment before.
That's not what I read.

I read between the lines and the stars and into the black hole with an orange glow.
After checking my cards of what everything means and how the distance of everything is, it says "wait and see"

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
New Uniden Scanner???

h6WvD3t.jpg

:D :D

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's not what I read.

I read between the lines and the stars and into the black hole with an orange glow.
After checking my cards of what everything means and how the distance of everything is, it says "wait and see"
Funny stuff, this is like deja vu, I can remember when Whistler had that almost year-long ruse that they were developing a simulcast capable radio and probably figureed it out in a half an hour that they would never be able to fit it in the carcass of a psr-800.

When the Whistler representative was asked about it... They said...

"wait and see":LOL:

Last edited:

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
One feature I thought about would be auto updates to both firmware and the frequency database. Built in GPS and auto programming based on location. In other words you but a new scanner turn it on connect to your network wired or WiFi and it would login to Uniden and update everything, then it would check your location and configure something along the lines of zip code programming and start scanning!
I wouldn't be offended if they added Bluetooth to the SDS200. Just a thought.

Ubbe

There are comercial 2-way radios that use bluetooth. BT uses 2GHz frequencies, as well as WiFi, and should be no problem to use in a receiver that works at half that frequency and below. It's probably the receivers fault if BT can't be used, not good enough filters, and not the bluetooth or WiFi transmitter in itself if they are of good quality.

/Ubbe

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
There are comercial 2-way radios that use bluetooth. BT uses 2GHz frequencies, as well as WiFi, and should be no problem to use in a receiver that works at half that frequency and below. It's probably the receivers fault if BT can't be used, not good enough filters, and not the bluetooth or WiFi transmitter in itself if they are of good quality.

/Ubbe
Interesting...Thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.