New Uniden Scanner BCD325P2! Whew, this is confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderchaser

I am an old school scanner listener so am overwhelmed by this new Digital scanner. Is there a way to simply enter a State system by zip code or State Patrol only? How do Program Colorado State patrol or Wyoming state patrol easily? Do I need to look online and enter all the frequencies manually? Any short cuts? I would not know where to begin

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I have the 325P2 and its a great scanner and as close to the linage of old scanners as you can get. That being said, its far more complex than my old Pro-43 to program. If you want to do it the right way and save your mental health, do as either Buddrousa or Mark Smith recommend and get a quality software and a subscription to Radio Reference. All you do is select the system you want and the talk groups you want and download them. I have both software mentioned and Freescan will get you started. Unfortunately, its not supported anymore so its frozen as is. BUT you will get the hang of programming the radio. Then you can pop for something like Freescan which, in my opinion, is the best software on the market. It supports the absolute latest Uniden radios as well as legacy radios like my BC-780XLT, one of the early trunking radios from years ago. Don't give up, its easy once you understand it.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
How do Program Colorado State patrol or Wyoming state patrol easily?
Check the database for this info. I'll make it easy for you:
Colorado State Patrol Talkgroups
Wyoming Highway Patrol Talkgroups

I'd also recommend perusing the easier to read 325p2 manual to familiarize yourself with the basic operations of the scanner.

Do I need to look online and enter all the frequencies manually?
It is much preferred to use software to program trunked systems & consider a Radioreference premium membership so you can import info directly from the RR database into your supported software app of choice

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am an old school scanner listener so am overwhelmed by this new Digital scanner. Is there a way to simply enter a State system by zip code or State Patrol only? How do Program Colorado State patrol or Wyoming state patrol easily? Do I need to look online and enter all the frequencies manually? Any short cuts? I would not know where to begin
As has already been suggested, your best move would be to use software. While you can program your scanner using the keypad, that becomes very time consuming and tedious, especially if you are trying to include descriptive text tags for the channels you program. Via the keypad, you enter a single letter at a time, rotating the scroll knob to locate each individual letter, diving into, and out of, various layers of the menu structure.

But when using software, you can more quickly enter the details you want or need, plus you can see most all of the related fields for programming a system or channel at one time, making it much easier to spot and correct any incorrect or missing information.

With a three or six month Premium Subscriber membership, importing systems from the database is much mnore accurate, as well as significantly faster than entering by hand.

Reactions: wtp

powderchaser

Check the database for this info. I'll make it easy for you:
Colorado State Patrol Talkgroups
Wyoming Highway Patrol Talkgroups

I'd also recommend perusing the easier to read 325p2 manual to familiarize yourself with the basic operations of the scanner.

It is much preferred to use software to program trunked systems & consider a Radioreference premium membership so you can import info directly from the RR database into your supported software app of choice
Thank You! You provided the 2 important links to WHP and CHP. Really, all I am looking for is listening when I do the I-80 drive from Salt Lake to Denver or on I-70 through Colorado. So all I need is WSP and CSP. On the Wyoming list there are many channels In red (primary). Do I really need all of those? Only looking for the old school troop dispatches at Laramie, Rock Springs, Evanston area. In CO, only looking for Dispatch in Craig that takes the I-70 corridor from the UT line to Denver. Any ideas on how many frequencies I will need for WY or CO? I can program by hand all the ones listed in Wyoming in red, but I think many are outside the troop ranges I need.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
You will need the Red and Blue Frequencies for all of the sites located near I-80. The rest of the state(s) wouldn't matter. Be sure you identify just the sites you are likely to hear, say may 10-15 miles either side of I-80 if you are just using the stock antenna, maybe a bit further if you have an outside antenna. The way I do this when I travel is to see if there are any site maps in the wiki that will assist me. Here is a link For the Colorado system. Individual CO DTRS Sites - The RadioReference Wiki I prefer a state map showing locations and there might be one but I didn't see it.

Otherwise, you have the ability to download a CSV file of the sites. I import this into Excel and then filter on just the counties that are relevant to my travels. See my pics below. Just add those frequencies for the sites within the counties that are relevant. I hope this makes sense. 1623414821450.png

Files for downloading. See first CSV file.1623414912549.png

Status
Not open for further replies.