New Uniden Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikegolf384

Anyone using either of the new Uniden scanners to monitor Wisconsin? I'm located in the Fox Valley and looking for any feedback from anyone monitoring with the new radios, while I determine I should spend the money on a new radio to monitor the new digital transmissions in Winnebago, Outagamie, and Brown County. Thanks

davenlr

Premium Subscriber

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Anyone using either of the new Uniden scanners to monitor Wisconsin? I'm located in the Fox Valley and looking for any feedback from anyone monitoring with the new radios, while I determine I should spend the money on a new radio to monitor the new digital transmissions in Winnebago, Outagamie, and Brown County. Thanks

If you don't need the Phase II capability I would go with the BCD996XT/BCD396XT.

Karl_KS9E

Premium Subscriber
As you may have already seen in the introductory video for the new models, the intent is to have the advanced functionality of the XT series for the advanced scanner hobbyist while providing ease of use of the Home Patrol units for the more casual listener that doesn't quite understand all the technical details of programming.

The base/mobile unit will have a new SIREN app for monitoring remotely anywhere with an IP connection. The BCD536HP also has the features previously only available in the "extreme" upgrade to the Home Patrol 1. The HP designation on the end of the model number indicates the unit has the built in radio reference database for all of the United States and Canada. Both the base/mobile and the handheld units come with a 4 GB microSD card standard. This allows for multiple favorite lists/profiles. It also allows recording of the received audio for later playback. Unlike the HP-1, the new units allow for multiple favorite lists so the user can customize to their individual preferences whether they want a list for a specific geographical area or a specific service type. The new models feature system quick keys, department quick keys, and channel quick keys. It is possible to have multiple systems or agencies assigned to a single quick key. Both new models also feature analyze and discovery modes. While I may not be able to answer every question about a specific system, I'd be happy to share my experiences where applicable.

JT-112

Be aware that the P25 simulcast reception ability of the new units is getting very mixed reviews.

That is, there are some happy people, but plenty of unhappy people as well. It's unclear at this time exactly how improved the performance is.

Clearly there are times when the decode seems fine (as seen in YouTube videos) and there are other times when the decode is terrible. There isn't yet a common thread as to when there's good decode and when there isn't. I've heard people say it's just down to luck, but I'm not sure about that yet.

At this time, there's no consumer scanner that always decodes simulcast P25 well all the time - and listening to bad decode is simply supremely frustrating, and in many cases un-listenable.

WISCOM is not yet simulcast (and I don't know of any plans to go simulcast yet), but the amount of traffic on WISCOM is fairly low as well.

Bottom line, if you can't hear what's being said, you'll be frustrated.

sfd119

I wouldn't say the amount of traffic on WISCOM is low. Sawyer county is using it, and Douglas has patches in place. There isn't 15 minutes that go by without hearing traffic up here on it.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say the amount of traffic on WISCOM is low. Sawyer county is using it, and Douglas has patches in place. There isn't 15 minutes that go by without hearing traffic up here on it.

I also heard Burnett county patches on there when i was up at my folks` over the holidays. Heard them a lot on Lampson. N9NRA

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
THRESHOLD LEVEL

Anyone tell me where I can set the threshold levels for p25 digital system? I cannot locate it in the users manual. I want to set it manually......

sfd119

I also heard Burnett county patches on there when i was up at my folks` over the holidays. Heard them a lot on Lampson. N9NRA

That's the scan talk group--not a dedicated patch from Sheriff to xx LAW1 etc. Douglas has their Sheriff Channels patched to DG LAW1 and fire channels patched to DG FIRE1.

Status
Not open for further replies.