New Uniden that will turn on with ignition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dromanchyk

I'm looking to get a new uniden mobile and install it in my car, but looks like the only place available will be under the glove box. Preferably, I'd like to wire it so that when the car power turns on, the scanner turns on. (This way I wont have to reach down and turn it on every time). Will this work with the Unidens ?

Thanks

teufler

Most cars, check the fuse panel, there is several fuse points that shut down dc power when the engine quits. I has a Chrysler 300 LHS, there is a fuse that you move to allow power off or power on all the time. There are three input points, use the left two, power off, the right two power on. Look at your owners manual to see if you have any fuse points that are like this. Possibly the cigarette lighter fuse. Now some radios, don't like the voltage spike or drop on start up. so it may be necessary to turn the radio off to avoid wiping the memory on start up..

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
You don't need a special scanner to do this... it can be done with nearly any 12vdc device. Just wire it up using a 12v relay and activate the relay by connecting it to a 12v ignition-controlled source. You scanner will go on and off with the ignition (like the car radio).

John

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As long as you can tap into an existing circuit which is on the ignition circuit, it should work. Most auto parts places sell testers that you can use to determine whether a place on the fuse holder is always hot or on the ignition.

Whether having an SD type scanner on a power circuit is debatable. There are those who say its bad. I've had a 536 on an ignition circuit for three years. I start and stop my truck at least three times a day, so this means over 3,000 power cycles with no issues.

The only "hitch" is that any changes I make, such as turning off a Favorites List Quick Key, are not remembered for my next scanning session. If I want such things to be "committed" for future sessions, I have to do a "normal" power down (turn off at volume knob".

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I leave my 536 on all the time, does not take much from battery at all. I use the DROK® DC-DC Buck Boost Converter 5V-25V to 0.5-25V 2A High Efficiency Voltage Regulator 5V 12V Variable Volt Power Supply Stabilizers with Red LED, to prevent low power during startup, works great.

Cost on Amizon 15.49

Dromanchyk

Thanks...actually I'm thinking of wiring a timer circuit in line with the radio to the ignition circuit. I've seen this one on Amazon: " Directed Electronics Inc 528T 12v Accessory Pulse Timer ". It looks like it will delay sending power to the radio for a couple of seconds, and in that way avoid any voltage drops or spikes. I've got one response saying its not good to wire the radio directly, but most seem to say it works with no problem. Like I said, I'd just like to turn the car on and have the radio turn on as well. By the way, (secondary question, LOL) does a mounting bracket typically come with these mobil scanners ? Thanks again - Dan KB2DR

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 536 does come with a mobile bracket. Instead of using the factory supplied knobs to fasten the scanner, you might think about going to Home Depot or Lowes to get a couple of hex socket screws (the kind you need an Allen wrench) for improved security purposes. Be sure to use the same length.

Dromanchyk

The 536 does come with a mobile bracket. Instead of using the factory supplied knobs to fasten the scanner, you might think about going to Home Depot or Lowes to get a couple of hex socket screws (the kind you need an Allen wrench) for improved security purposes. Be sure to use the same length.

Great idea !

rwier

I'm looking to get a new uniden mobile and install it in my car, but looks like the only place available will be under the glove box. Preferably, I'd like to wire it so that when the car power turns on, the scanner turns on. (This way I wont have to reach down and turn it on every time). Will this work with the Unidens ?

Thanks

At times, a few years back, I ran a laptop, multiple scanners, and a "GOTO" telescope off of the 12 volt accessory outlets in a '03 2500 Dodge Ram. I had a few incidents with "smoking" wiring, lol. I had two 120V inverters installed professionally (parts and labor not cheap). One is rated at 600 "something" and the other at 800 "something". They both shut off with the vehicle ignition, along with their own individual on/off switch. Now I run very little off of the vehicle's accessory outlets. Now, radar detectors, back and forward facing video cameras, laptops, phones, scanners, etc., all get powered up with the vehicle startup. Scanner brand doesn't matter. I remove any batteries, and all scanner brands start and stop with the vehicle ignition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.