New UP Microwave tower near Blair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Love_Jr

Hey Burner and group.

Just last week and yesterday I saw that the UP is installing a new Microwave tower SW of Blair. Since the UP is Double Tracking the Blair Sub. I wonder if this has anything to do with the project. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0004Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    IMG_0004Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_0005Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    IMG_0005Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_0006Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    IMG_0006Wednesday September 28th, 2011.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,071

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Have they added any other antennas or just the one microwave?

DPD1

CN has also been putting up new stuff since they took over EJ&E. I think they put up a new large tower in Joliet, IL. They've shifted a lot of their comms around since the takeover.

Since the railroads keep getting bigger, but fewer of them... I'm wondering if they will be moving to more of a centralized radio system in urban areas, and moving away from the track-side transmitters.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
CN has also been putting up new stuff since they took over EJ&E. I think they put up a new large tower in Joliet, IL. They've shifted a lot of their comms around since the takeover.

:confused:

Okay? The UP had existing towers with what I thought was adequate radio coverage in the area. I never had trouble reaching the 'spatcher in that area. And UP has installed a new control point just a few miles up the road, so one wonders why they might put the tower out here. Also, Blair is within the distance from omaha that they could almost throw a rock from UP headquarters and hit the train.

Since the railroads keep getting bigger, but fewer of them... I'm wondering if they will be moving to more of a centralized radio system in urban areas, and moving away from the track-side transmitters.

Are you talking about detectors? Thats silly.

UP already uses a centralized communications system.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I would have to check FCC records, but probably for controlling track side signals and possibility some other things.

Tim

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
looks to be on the side of blair hill not too far from town.

cifn2

Feed Provider

Higher towers and less of them?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It is almost certainly for the signal system, but a tower that big there is curious.

The area has always been CTC... but it was an older flavor and the blocks used to be upwards of 6 miles or so. Between Missouri valley and Blair there was only a handful of signals, most of them being at California Junction. Between CJ and Blair, I believe there was only one more signal.

Having only the one microwave antenna, it really couldn't be for anything but the signal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.