new USCG aux freqs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Nice Capture.

It would be interesting if they run NETS or just use it as a Remote Monitor site for VHF Marine.

I'm getting a lot of traffic on 150.700 (149.200 input??) pl114.8. I know there was (and apparently is) a AUXNET repeater in the area with remote base (which scans multiple CG channels) but I've never heard any traffic until now. Non stop traffic from near and far over the remote base. Pretty interesting.

Also, caught NOAA WX being broadcast over marine 81A last night.

Jon

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm getting a lot of traffic on 150.700 (149.200 input??) pl114.8. I know there was (and apparently is) a AUXNET repeater in the area with remote base (which scans multiple CG channels) but I've never heard any traffic until now. Non stop traffic from near and far over the remote base. Pretty interesting.

Also, caught NOAA WX being broadcast over marine 81A last night.

Jon

Never heard anything on 150.700, that used to be on 149.050 with the input on 143.575. I got a copy of a 1999 article from Monitoring Times about that project from the carolinascanner yahoo group. It repeats traffic from CH 6, 16, 21, 22, 23, 81, 82, & 83. That article also shows the USCG aux assignments for the lakes in NC.

I think you have to be a member of the group to access it, but I am not 100% sure.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sNpKSE...ZLBS4VW_8E_AsdezIjiC5w/Hickory CG Article.zip

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
> The next question will be if there is any interoperability between them (other than cell phones or Nextel): CMPD, NC Wildlife, USCG aux, Lincoln Co, Iredell Co, Catawba Co.

>> 99.9% NO. The only interoperability between them would be though VIPER.

If I understand the interoperability plan for the Charlotte area - including Lake Norman and Lake Wylie - correctly, Charlotte / Mecklenberg County and the Piedmont-Area Communications Council (PACC)ultimately will have the responsibility to provide regional interoperability for 11 counties / 29 comm systems that are part of the council.

So, I'm not surprised agencies involved in public safety on Lake Norman are not going hog-wild seeking interoperability via Viper or other communications tools.

( Like Blinddog, I am more-than-a-little disappointed that convetional ITAC channels have never caught on in either N.C. or S.C. ... particularly with widely available radios offering more channels than you need. )

Interoperability was the intent of the DHS grant to finance an extension of the CMPD TRS with nodes in Union Co, Gaston Co, Catawba Co, etc.

So far, the growth of the interoperability system appears to be slow. There are nodes in Union, Gaston and (I believe) Cabarrus counties. A 2007 DHS scorecard of the system progress mentioned sustained funding for the system equipment, radios and maintenance as a hurdle the council was facing. The scorecard was critical of member agencies addressing funding individually, rather than collectively.

I had the opportunity to talk with someone involved with the CMPD TRS on Friday, while working at the C-M government center. My understanding is that, as agencies such as Monroe Fire and Gaston Co Police acquire 800 radios, CMPD is providing them templates that include the Events and mutual aid talkgroups.

>>> I know there are wildlife unit to unit comms on 159.315 for local stuff. I thought I heard that CMPD had capability to talk to wildlife on VHF but I haven't confirmed anything. Now that VIPER is up and running you would think that having interop capability would be a no-brainer but I guess not. Also, There is a North Lakes mutual aid channel on the CharMeck system that seems like it would be designated for such use.

I have also heard CMPD on the NC WRC channels on both Lake Norman and Lake Wylie. The mikes they use on the VHF radios pick up the sound of the boat motors very well ... it always sounds like they are heading to a boater assitance call full-throttle.

>>>> Never heard anything on 150.700, that used to be on 149.050 with the input on 143.575. I got a copy of a 1999 article from Monitoring Times about that project from the carolinascanner yahoo group. It repeats traffic from CH 6, 16, 21, 22, 23, 81, 82, & 83. That article also shows the USCG aux assignments for the lakes in NC.

I can confirm Jon's report. 150.700 was active Thursday morning - at 4 a.m. - as I was getting ready for work. I also logged it a week ago.

The first reports I saw on the 150.700 repeater were on this forum in August, 2006, from Randy in the Piedmont Triad area:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44180&highlight=150.700

Although I did not log the repeater this morning, it's not surprising that Jon heard alot of activity on it today. Tropo was very good throughout the overnight through mid-morning in all directions from this location.

That same tropo fuels the activity on the repeater, as it previously received traffic on multiple marine and / or Coast Guard frequencies, as well as USCG HF watch frequencies. If the repeater is repeating Marine channels 16 and 22, as the Lake Norman repeater did in the past, it can be alot of fun keeping track of how many USCG stations are logged broadcasting boater announcements via the repeater.

I have not logged any activity in several years on the 149.050 repeater that linked Lake Norman with Lake Hickory and Lake James. Input from someone involved iwth the USCG Aux on these bodies of water would be useful.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I Guess The Activity On 150.700 The Other Week Was From Somewhere East Of The Charlotte Area. I Haven't Heard Anything In A Couple Of Weeks. That Explains Why I Was Hearing Cg Elizabeth City Over The Repeater And Other Stuff From The Coast.

Oh Well, I'll Keep Monitoring. There Is A Guy On The Same Dock Where I Keep My Boat Who Is With The Cg Au. I Haven't Wanted To Bother Him But Maybe He Can Shed Some Light On This.

ecps92

Seems some of the Aux Units got $$ to install the new Repeaters, we are just starting to get activity in New England on the new pairs. Talk of more repeaters over the summer.

"Bill from the Land of the still living Kennedys"

I Guess The Activity On 150.700 The Other Week Was From Somewhere East Of The Charlotte Area. I Haven't Heard Anything In A Couple Of Weeks. That Explains Why I Was Hearing Cg Elizabeth City Over The Repeater And Other Stuff From The Coast.

Oh Well, I'll Keep Monitoring. There Is A Guy On The Same Dock Where I Keep My Boat Who Is With The Cg Au. I Haven't Wanted To Bother Him But Maybe He Can Shed Some Light On This.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Yeah ,I've been monitoring all the freqs listed in the previous post but haven't heard anything local. Like I said, 150.700 was pretty busy that one night but it was definitely due to ducting conditions to the east.

Jon

ecps92

PL/DPL ??? Is it still 114.8 for Lake Norman or maybe another Repeater. ?

I hate to resurrect a year-old thread, but I noted 150.700 is active and strong again this morning.

Maybe this boating season, someone might get a location on the repeater carrying several channels of HF and VHF USCG traffic.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
PL/DPL ??? Is it still 114.8 for Lake Norman or maybe another Repeater. ?

Still using 114.8 Hz for the tone.

I've never thought the repeater was carrying traffic for Lake Norman. The LN repeater, when it was active, carried alot of local comms, with mention of Lake Hickory (Catawba Co) and Lake James (Burke Co).

The repeater on 150.700 / 114.8 is almost exclusively repeating USCG comms from the coast. I have heard a couple of "local" conversations over the channel that have made me think the repeater is associated with High Rock Lake, but I cna't fathom why a USCG aux unit on a lake in the central portion of the state would want to monitor coastal traffic.

ecps92

Thanks... make sense.

Up here in New England, they run a NET on Sunday mornings as well as Wednesaday evenings...maybe search for the net and they will announce the Repeater name/site.

Thanks again

Still using 114.8 Hz for the tone.

I've never thought the repeater was carrying traffic for Lake Norman. The LN repeater, when it was active, carried alot of local comms, with mention of Lake Hickory (Catawba Co) and Lake James (Burke Co).

The repeater on 150.700 / 114.8 is almost exclusively repeating USCG comms from the coast. I have heard a couple of "local" conversations over the channel that have made me think the repeater is associated with High Rock Lake, but I cna't fathom why a USCG aux unit on a lake in the central portion of the state would want to monitor coastal traffic.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Thanks... make sense.

Up here in New England, they run a NET on Sunday mornings as well as Wednesaday evenings...maybe search for the net and they will announce the Repeater name/site.

Thanks again

I'm pretty sure the repeater is around Lake Norman, maybe the Mooresville area. I think the district HQ is on Hwy150. I had the signal on 150.700 s9+20 today at exit 28 in Cornelius in the mobile. Even at home (still in Cornelius but -40 ft elevation from exit 28) on the HT I had it s7 or so. The remote rx and the repeater were active today. I heard a few key-ups w/ courtesy tone come on top of the static rx from the coastal stuff.

SCPD

QRT
I may be a little late on this reply.....

As far as Catawba County Sheriffs Office, VIPER radios are exclusively being used on Lake Norman. Catawba's VHF system is horrible on the lake. They do have VHF capabilities as well (marine and public safety).

Also, mentioned above was the AUX repeater. I cannot speak on Lake Norman but as of last summer the repeater was down on Lake Hickory and USCG Channel 21 was the primary channel for operations. I'm assuming it still is.

Hope this helps a little for the Catawba County folks....

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a status update on the 150.700 cg aux repeater system? I haven't heard anything on it in a long time. Didn't think much about it over the colder months but seems like it would be on the air now if still operational.

Jon
AK4XO
WQSC225

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

ecps92

Guess some districts are more active than others.

3-4+ Repeaters are used at least weekly, on the Sunday nets here in New England

Anyone have a status update on the 150.700 cg aux repeater system? I haven't heard anything on it in a long time. Didn't think much about it over the colder months but seems like it would be on the air now if still operational.

Jon
AK4XO
WQSC225

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

msigmon3306

I would not say that, there are ways to talk to each other without viper. People just have to know about them, and actually train and have the access to use them. I know how the Lincoln fire departments HTs are programmed, and except for state fire and rescue, there are none of the available interop frequencies programmed.

While Catawba has a few 800mhz HTs, you would likely never see them sent down to the lake for something that is not an 11 on a "oh hell" scale of 1-10.

I have not heard that Lincoln has ANY radios that can access viper, and if they did, they would likely stay at the 911 center or the EOC anyway for the above issues.

Actually we have approximately 1100 800 mhz radios. Lake Patrol, CCSO, all Fire and Rescue, I have 120 for EMS. All the statewide interop tg's are in them.

WA4MJF

99.9% NO.
The only interoperability between them would be though VIPER.
That would probably only occur if something happened at McGuire.
USCG aux would be out of the loop completely.
Each agency pretty much have their own turf they patrol on the lake as several county lines run though it and the river.
The incident last week when a man drowned in a boating accident on Mountain Island Lake showed no interoperability between the agencies from several different counties.
I know several people that were there with the recovery effort and their best way to communicate was face to face.

I should think the VHF Marine freqs would be used for coordination. These days
just about every boat has them. We have VHF Marine portables on our FD boats.

Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies.