WS1088: New user just getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

js415

I introduced myself and asked a few questions here: http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...um/347981-new-user-intro-guidance-needed.html

My new WS1088 came in today and I'm just getting into it to try and figure out what all this darn thing does, and how to make it work.

I got it up and running first, hooked it to the computer and updated the CPU and DSP without any problems.

Next I used the quick "zip code" method to set a location, just to see if i could hear anything. That worked fairly well, and I could hear a few agencies. The bad news is I could not hear the one agency I wanted to.

I later found it is on a separate system, so I need to figure out how to get that loaded.

Here is where I am located and my systems I am hunting for: Coweta County, Georgia (GA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The main group I'm hunting for is the Sheriffs Office transmissions. I'm working on learning how at the moment.

I'll report back soon, but I have a feeling there's going to be some follow-up question!!

Thanks,

Jerry

js415

I guess one of my first questions should be:

Have I updated everything I need to, since I updated the CPU and DSP?

Does that give me the latest that I need to hear anything that is possible in my area?

Thanks,

Jerry

js415

DIid you load the WARRS system?

I did, I think. I loaded it using the scanner and not the software. Because of this I am also picking up a lot of other chatter from a nearby county, and not the one I live in.

I'm going to use the software and drill down until I only have my counties Sheriffs Office.

It might be Sunday before I can get to it, due to an out of town trip tomorrow.

Should I start over with a clean SD card when I try and get the right department? Or maybe just save it to a separate scan list?

Thanks,

Jerry

js415

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Throw the stock antenna in the garbage along with the micro sd card. They will both give you headaches. Buy a name brand micro sd card and the Radioshack or Remtronixs 800mhz antenna.

Also be sure to check out this data base Digital Frequency Search

js415

Finally made it back home today and I am playing around with it a little bit.

Figured out how to load only the WARRS system for my county into the scanner. I used the software to do it all, via my Sd card in a card reader.

Scanner boots up fine, scanlist shows my objects, but when I scan, I get basically nothing. Maybe one transmission in an hour.

Am I missing something??

Thanks,

Jerry

js415

With nobody home tonight, I was able to start over and do some playing around with the software.

I now have a scanner set up with two functional scanlists.

One for Coweta Sheriff and one for Newnan PD.

I've been listening to the SO all night. Very slow traffic to begin with, so I was not sure it was correct. Once the sun went down and it turned dark, I had pretty steady traffic.

One thing I noticed tonight. I bought an external charger, to run the scanner on AC current. As soon as I plug it in, it kills all reception. Is this normal? Something different I should try?

Thanks,

Jerry

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
One thing I noticed tonight. I bought an external charger, to run the scanner on AC current. As soon as I plug it in, it kills all reception. Is this normal? Something different I should try?

Thanks,

Jerry

NOT normal. does it do this plugged into your PC? Check the cable, check the charger

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
With nobody home tonight, I was able to start over and do some playing around with the software.

I now have a scanner set up with two functional scanlists.

One for Coweta Sheriff and one for Newnan PD.

I've been listening to the SO all night. Very slow traffic to begin with, so I was not sure it was correct. Once the sun went down and it turned dark, I had pretty steady traffic.

Thanks,

Jerry
I don't have the WS1088, so I can't say for sure. However, for the similar TRX-1, the manual states to turn the scanner off before plugging into, or disconnecting from, external power.

Status
Not open for further replies.