New user, Model 650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
My boyfriend has given me the Model 650 scanner just now for my early Christmas gift! I am sitting here trying to figure out why it says up to send and Clone.. I did install software.. what next? <s>

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
sky warn

Newbee here...
Just looking for the skywarn frequency which the model 650 tells me goes onto channel 200. While I'm at it.. I now realize that this model doesn't have a battery, just in case of an outage.. No way this can be added to It, correct?

QDP2012

Good morning and Welcome to RR,
Just looking for the skywarn frequency...

Skywarn and NOAA weather frequencies vary depending on which city/town/county area you want to moniitor.

Which communities would you like to monitor? Maybe we can help determine the related NOAA and Skywarn sites and frequencies.

I now realize that this model doesn't have a battery, just in case of an outage.. No way this can be added to It, correct?

If there is not a battery compartment on the back or bottom (like for a 9-volt battery or AA's, etc.) then you might want to consider external back-up power, like maybe plugging it into the UPS your computer is plugged into.

Older/Smaller "unwanted" UPS's can also be useful for things other than computers. I know of others who, when they upgrade their computer or TV/media center, they also upgrade/replace its UPS with a bigger UPS, and then move the older/smaller UPS to the living room behind the sofa (or other appropriate place), so they can plug a CFL/LED lamp into it, and keep themselves from stumbling around in the dark looking for a flashlight if the power goes out unexpectedly. They also have UPSs for their scanners, etc., sometimes shared with the lamp beside their bed.

Also, in case it helps, here's a link to the (.pdf) owner's manual: RS 650 Owner's Manual

Hope this helps,

N8IAA

Newbee here...
Just looking for the skywarn frequency which the model 650 tells me goes onto channel 200. While I'm at it.. I now realize that this model doesn't have a battery, just in case of an outage.. No way this can be added to It, correct?

Hi, Lindastuff:) The skywarn frequencies for your area can be found by going to the radio reference database, clicking on your state, clicking on your county, and look for the link to skywarn frequencies. They will usually be in the 145-147MHz range. Example, in my area, the frequency is 147.075.
HTH,
Larry

Captpicard

The 650 does not require a backup battery to maintain it's programming. I have seen these units go for months unplugged and come right back to life. If you want to listen if the power is out then a UPS from a computer would work great. You could even get an inverter to provide 110VAC from your car.

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for all of the wonderful information. My new problem is that I've found out that this scanner does not take the higher frequency numbers, it actually gives me an error, so I will be returning it for a better one. But will I be able to get a refund for whatever I've signed up for here? The scanner software from radioreference.com, wound up costing me 50 bucks.. or will I be able to use the same for the new scanner? I am not sure yet which one I will be buying, all tips will help.

N8IAA

Thank you very much for all of the wonderful information. My new problem is that I've found out that this scanner does not take the higher frequency numbers, it actually gives me an error, so I will be returning it for a better one. But will I be able to get a refund for whatever I've signed up for here? The scanner software from radioreference.com, wound up costing me 50 bucks.. or will I be able to use the same for the new scanner? I am not sure yet which one I will be buying, all tips will help.
What higher frequency numbers?
Larry

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
scanner errors

451.83750 for instance is the hospital, plus it doesn't reach as far as I like and would rather have one with a built in battery. Even though I know that someone said I could use a puter back-up, which I don't have. I am aware that I may need an antenna anyway, but would like one that goes further to start with. At least about a 1/2 hour away from where I am. This one is only local.

N8IAA

451.83750 for instance is the hospital, plus it doesn't reach as far as I like and would rather have one with a built in battery. Even though I know that someone said I could use a puter back-up, which I don't have. I am aware that I may need an antenna anyway, but would like one that goes further to start with. At least about a 1/2 hour away from where I am. This one is only local.

Lindastuff, 1/2 hour away is a loooong distance for a scanner to pick something up. Where/what exactly are you trying to receive? That would make it easier to help you find something to use.
Larry

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
scanner errors

Allentown PA
No matter what, why would it be giving me errors when I try to put higher numbers in?

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
scanners

I had wanted a digital scanner, with it's own built in battery. I had a Uniden years ago, it was wonderful except it kept losing info because the battery compartment was shot. I don't need a radio with FM. Just a decent scanner. Thank you

N8IAA

Allentown PA
No matter what, why would it be giving me errors when I try to put higher numbers in?

Sorry, should have given you that answer. It is because the scanner doesn't have the correct frequency step of 7.5KHz in the hardware. If you program 451.835, or 451.840, it should hear the transmissions.
Larry

N8IAA

I had wanted a digital scanner, with it's own built in battery. I had a Uniden years ago, it was wonderful except it kept losing info because the battery compartment was shot. I don't need a radio with FM. Just a decent scanner. Thank you

Uniden has an inexpensive radio that is portable and only uses 2 AA batteries. Rechargeable and alkalines.
It is the BC125AT. Have one, and though it is not as easy to program the radio as the 650, Uniden does have free software for it, and it comes with the programming cable.
Larry

Lindastuff

Premium Subscriber
I find the BC355N, is the BC15X supposed to be BCT15X? I was just wondering if there was a typo or if I am looking at the wrong one. Thank you soooo much!

N8IAA

I find the BC355N, is the BC15X supposed to be BCT15X? I was just wondering if there was a typo or if I am looking at the wrong one. Thank you soooo much!

Indeed. It was late, and forgot to put the T in:)
I wanted to add that to hear something that far away, you will need a bigger antenna to receive the signal than what comes with the scanner.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.