New User - Need Downtown Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickesonb

Hello all,

I work on the Auraria Campus, and am trying to set up a scanner for our Emergency Operations Center. No - there is not someone to help me do this here....

I have purchased a Radioshack PRO-96, USB cable, and Win96 software. I am attempting to monitor a few areas, but primarily Auraria Campus police. I can get it to monitor CSP, Denver, etc., but am having no luck with the Auraria portion.

Ultimately, what I want to do is monitor:

Auraria (all channels)
Denver Fire
Denver PD District 5

I have purchased the RadioReference.com membership that allows me to download frequencies.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Blaine

MikeyB

Hello all,

I work on the Auraria Campus, and am trying to set up a scanner for our Emergency Operations Center. No - there is not someone to help me do this here....

I have purchased a Radioshack PRO-96, USB cable, and Win96 software. I am attempting to monitor a few areas, but primarily Auraria Campus police. I can get it to monitor CSP, Denver, etc., but am having no luck with the Auraria portion.

Ultimately, what I want to do is monitor:

Auraria (all channels)
Denver Fire
Denver PD District 5

I have purchased the RadioReference.com membership that allows me to download frequencies.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Blaine

Blaine,

I'm assuming you mean Denver PD District 6? The problem is that Auraria Campus PD is mainly on the 700 mhz sites at Auraria and State Capital that the Pro-96 will not monitor. The GRE PSR-500 and PSR-600 will monitor. As well, Denver PD/FD is supposed to begin using ESK soon, which will make the Pro-96 not able to monitor it, but the two GRE scanners will (Lakewood has already begun using it and it is confirmed the PSR models will follow it). I would say return the Pro96 if you can because it's not going to do what you want it to.

nickesonb

Thanks so much MIkeyB. I guess that's what I get for asking the radio shack guys. What is the fastest and best source for a GRE-PSR-500?

Also, I assume I'll need to get different software, patch cable, etc.?

MikeyB

Thanks so much MIkeyB. I guess that's what I get for asking the radio shack guys. What is the fastest and best source for a GRE-PSR-500?

Depends on which Radio Shack you go to! Assuming you paid full price on the Pro-96, the GRE PSR-500 or PSR-600 will be the same ($499). Others here might be able to answer better, but the Ham Radio Outlet on East Iliff might have it on the shelf, or plenty of on-line scanner sites sell them. Read some of the adds on this site, and you'll find someone to get it to you quick. It comes with the patch cable and driver CD, but you'll need to get PSR-Edit, Win500 or Butel to program it easily, just like Pro96. The Pro96 is a great scanner, but won't work well for your situation.

bezking

If you do get rid of the 96 you can sell the cable and software key here, in our for sale forums.

Ham Radio Outlet on E. Iliff is the only stocking dealer in Denver that I know of for the GRE scanners.

Scan-Denver

Ham Radio Outlet on East Iliff between Quebec and Parker Rd on the south side of the street (look for a big antenna on top) has them for around $500 big ones plus tax. The radio comes with the usb cable that will plug into the PSR 500/600 so you're covered there. You can do a google search for "Win500", the software mostly used by everyone for the GRE scanners. You can also do a google search for ham radio outlet if you need an exact address and phone number.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.

If you just purchased the radio and it is LESS than 30 days take it back to the radioshack store and get your money back.

Also Denver will eventually go full time with the ESK control channel protocol you will need a GRE PSR500 portable or PSR600 desktop in order to track the Denver Public safety system.

As others have posted Ham radio outlet on E. Iliff ave is the best way to go for getting a PSR radio locally and in a timely manner.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi Blaine! When you get your hands on a PSR-500, let me know. I'm on campus several times a week and will be more than happy to help you program the new radio!

nickesonb

Thanks for all of the help. I purchased a PSR-500 at the Ham Outlet today, and have gotten it hooked up. I also downloaded the Win500 software as advised.

I created a new scanner profile, attempted to load the Auraria frequencies. Once I upload it to the scanner, does it take a while to work? It seems like it is "loading" (the "T" is flashing).

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
The "T" means that the radio is receiving valid trunking info from the control channel. That is a good sign. Auraria is a fairly quiet system. Load in some others and have a ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.