*New User* Need help understanding programming Trunked system into sentinel [SDS200]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaxonor

Hello everyone! I am an owner of an SDS200 looking for a little bit of assistance with trunked system programming. I live in north Jersey, so I'm trying to program 2 simulcast systems and I'm having some trouble understanding the system architecture in a way that makes the programming understandable to me. The first is Bergen County system, (project 25 phase II). When I copy that system in sentinel and add it to a fav list it shows me a dozen or so departments and then 3 sites. Is the right way to program this just to copy all of the departments and sites into a favorites list and thats it? When I scan this system is seems to not scan through very quickly. This is even more noticeable when scanning the NJ interop comms system. That list is HUGE and i see a dozen sites and maybe 2 dozen departments.

Again, I dont fully understand simulcast or how it really works. Range wise, I'm wondering if I can delete certain sites, departments, etc that would be too far from me to pick up? I just dont want to start deleting stuff that might not allow me to scan through this system properly.

Thanks in advance!

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
...snip...

Again, I dont fully understand simulcast or how it really works. Range wise, I'm wondering if I can delete certain sites, departments, etc that would be too far from me to pick up? I just dont want to start deleting stuff that might not allow me to scan through this system properly.

Thanks in advance!

In the following link I am only interested in Site 3 and the associated talk group under Northeast Tarrant (Site 3) Talkgroups. So from Sentinel database I find Forth Worth Regional Radio System and create a Favorite List item. Then edit out everything outside of Site 3 frequencies and all talkgroups not part of Site 3. I do create a second Favorite List of the entire Reginal Radio System, but only to scan if I'm over in that area. Typically the other cities are to far away or encrypted to listen too. In your case you will have to figure out what is close and of interest and how documented.

A very years back it was not well documented the frequency and talkgroup relationship. Linking by reference using Site 3 in this case helped tremendously. I'm not sure about your location, but maybe this post has helped.
Mike

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Possible idea?
Using location control, the radio would then only scan items/sites within range. Set by going to set your location in main menu. Then set your GPS coordinates by going to set manual location. I would consider getting the GPS module, then this is set automatically. REALLY helpful when you get better acquainted w/ your radio and want to have it automatically switch favorites as you travel, if using your radio mobile. If stationary only, just set the GPS coordinates manually.

Important point to remember:
Every (most) depts/sites have a GPS location and range in RR. These are what the radio uses for this location control. Then, there is a 'global' range setting in profile (edit/edit profile/location settings/range). If this is set to 0, the radio will use just the range info from RR. Setting to 1, it will ADD a mile to the info - set to 2, it adds 2 miles, etc.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When I copy that system in sentinel and add it to a fav list it shows me a dozen or so departments and then 3 sites. Is the right way to program this just to copy all of the departments and sites into a favorites list and thats it?

In Sentinel, you'll go to the main database, locate the state/county/system of interest then append it to either an existing or new Favorites List.

When I scan this system is seems to not scan through very quickly. This is even more noticeable when scanning the NJ interop comms system. That list is HUGE and i see a dozen sites and maybe 2 dozen departments.

Scanning trunked systems is different than conventional. Rather than getting too technical, suffice it to say scanning a system with 100 talkgroups goes just as fast as the one with 10,000 talkgroups. You might have numerous iterations of the system from programming attempts and that is what makes things look long.

In the options for the Favorites List, set Location Control to On. Let the scanner sort out which should and should not, be active.

In the old days, radio systems had one transmitter with a high antenna and lots of power to achieve in-building coverage. That meant a signal would travel much farther away too. I could easily hear, in right weather, Louisville transmissions in Indianapolis, 100 miles away. The result was fewer available frequencies. So simulcasting was created. Instead of one big/powerful site, several small, lower power sites are in a community. They all operate on the same frequencies. This achieves that in-building coverage without such a large coverage footprint.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.