• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New user - over thinking it again :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So is the btech radio at 24 watts too much for the cigarette lighter?

Maybe. Depends on the efficiency of the radio.
As was said, RF wattage ≠ current consumption.
You would need to hook up the radio to a suitable power supply and check the DC current consumption with an ammeter. The manufacturer —might— have specifications on line, but take them with a grain of salt.

As cmdrwill said, the limiting factor is often the contacts in the cheap cigarette lighter plugs/sockets. They are not a good connector for long term use.

Other issue you'll often run into, tapping into existing wiring, even cigarette lighters, is a really good way to introduce interference into the radio. That will impact performance. There's a really good reason people are telling you to power the radio off the battery. Cutting corners never leads to good results.

cmdrwill

Radio is probably not too efficient, so 24 watts and 50 percent would be 50 watts or more.

All....so in regards to the cigarette plug not being able to handle it. I looked up the specs the UV-25x2 pulls 7A peak, what if I used an "add a fuse" with a 10 amp fuse? wired it directly into my fuse panel of my car. I'd use a spare fuse that only had power when the car was on, but id also literally unplug the unit at its base station to avoid battery drainage just incase.

Thoughts?

Supply voltage 13.8V DC・}15%:

20A Peak UV-50X2 --- 7A Peak UV-25X2, UV-25X4

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Check out this video on MURS.
Most CCC radios do not meet MURS FCC rules. I have 5 of the RT27V radios in the video and they are a great buy if you shop a little. A range of a mile or more is realistic unless you have thick forest or other obstacles.

Check out this video on MURS.
Most CCC radios do not meet MURS FCC rules. I have 5 of the RT27V radios in the video and they are a great buy if you shop a little. A range of a mile or more is realistic unless you have thick forest or other obstacles.
I want more than a mile thou, I'd prefer 3 to 4, 5 even. If I can spend not much more for an in car radio vs a handheld that's justifiable IMO

After some research it appears my cigarette lighter is 20 amps.

Attachments

• 20190801_112711-873x1019.jpg
    20190801_112711-873x1019.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
After some research it appears my cigarette lighter is 20 amps.

Yes, it may be fused at 20 amps.
The cigarette lighter plug, the part that you'd push in, may also be rated at 20 amps. Problem is they are a poor spring contact and as they work loose, the connections get flakey, resistance goes up, voltage drops, all kinds of issues.
Also, like I said before, tapping into existing vehicle wiring is a good way to introduce noise into your radio.

It's your radio and your vehicle, do what ever you like. If you are asking for advice, don't do it as a long term solution. You'll just end up back here asking for advice on why there's so much interference on your radio, why the power is intermittent, etc.

There is a very good reason we are telling you to connect the power directly to the battery.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All....so in regards to the cigarette plug not being able to handle it. I looked up the specs the UV-25x2 pulls 7A peak, what if I used an "add a fuse" with a 10 amp fuse? wired it directly into my fuse panel of my car. I'd use a spare fuse that only had power when the car was on, but id also literally unplug the unit at its base station to avoid battery drainage just incase.

Thoughts?

It all goes back to tying into existing vehicle wiring. You'll get noise from other vehicle components.

Run power directly from the battery. There's a good reason why every reputable radio manufacturer tells you to do this in their install guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.