New User; Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwhittier

Hello Group,

I'm new to scanners and I'm confused. I live in Whittier CA, and want to listen to the Whittier Police. Before I drop a few hundred on a scanner can you tell me 1) will I be able to listen to the Whittier PD and 2) what is a simple (or less complicated) scanner to get to listen to the Whittier PD?

Thank you so much for helping a newbie.

Mr. Whittier

DickH

Hello Group,

I'm new to scanners and I'm confused. I live in Whittier CA, and want to listen to the Whittier Police. Before I drop a few hundred on a scanner can you tell me 1) will I be able to listen to the Whittier PD and 2) what is a simple (or less complicated) scanner to get to listen to the Whittier PD?

Mr. Whittier

It looks like all of L.A. county uses UHF, 451 to 480MHz, so a non-trunking scanner will work for you. They are very inexpensive.
See the database (top of this page) for frequencies.

N8IAA

Hello Group,

Mr. Whittier

The cheapest scanner to listen to Whittier PD is the Uniden BC75XLT. However, if you wish to listen to the LA PD or ISIS, you will need a digital, P-25 scanner.
Larry

mrwhittier

Thank you very much DickH and Larry! I truly appreciate it!

I looked at the database like you mentioned and found whittier but I do not have any training in what the numbers mean. My assumption that is if Whittier is in the 470 - 471 range then I'm good without a Digital p-25 scanner.

Questions; What is a digital P-25 scanner? What is ISIS?

I'm not too concerned with LAPD just with what is going on around me.

That Uniden BC75XLT looks good, but admittedly I don't know what I'm looking for.

Many thanks for your help!

DickH

Questions; What is a digital P-25 scanner? What is ISIS?

Digital is another type of modularion. You can roughly equate Analog & Digital to AM & FM.
You can receive all your area with a standard (analog) scanner.
Those "numbers", like 470.375, are frequencies. You enter them into the scanner using the keypad on the scanner, just like the numbers on a telephone. (Don't forget the decimal point). After the numbers you need to hit E (for ENTER), then push the UP arrow to get to the next channel, then enter the next freq., etc., etc. When all the ones you want are entered, push SCAN and it will scan all the freqs. you have entered.

I have no idea what ISIS is.

Last edited:

mrwhittier

Hi All,

I got the Uniden BC75xlt. Thank you so much for helping me! I truly appreciate your willingness to help a new guy!

Oh, did I mention this is addicting?

Mr. Whittier

nekogirl

I just gotta say your post has been the most helpful to a newbie. You explained exactly what I've been wondering about and you made it very easy to understand! Thanks for taking the time and patients!

Status
Not open for further replies.