New User that doesn't know much..

Status
Not open for further replies.

patti1969

Premium Subscriber
We have purchased a Radio Shack Pro 197 and were so excited about it. Now I'm just frustrated. We have read the manual, looked on line, etc and just cannot figure out how to program our new scanner.
We would appreciate any and all help...Thank You!!

vinzep491

Check out this page. It has info for the 106, your scanners handheld counterpart.

Pro-106 - The RadioReference Wiki

It has links to programming software available for your scanner, as well as links to a Quick Start Easy Programming guide.

You're going to have to get a radio reference premium membership, buy a programming cable, and download some software (there are 3 available for your scanner, all with free trials).
With the RR Membership you can upload whatever channels and systems you wish to monitor straight off of this site and makes programming about 600 times easier than attemping by hand, expecially with this being your first digital scanner.

Let me know if you need any help or have another question.

Scan On!

pathalogical

Did you purchase it new ? If so, these newer models come with some programing already in it. In the manual pg 2, look for your state, and on pg 8 for how to load that VS into working memory. Hope this helps.

patti1969

Premium Subscriber
yes, we bought it new. I loaded the v scanner for our state, TN, but when I followed the directions and then hit scan, it reboots and then the screen says "nothing enabled."

vinzep491

yes, we bought it new. I loaded the v scanner for our state, TN, but when I followed the directions and then hit scan, it reboots and then the screen says "nothing enabled."

Hit a number to activate a scan list.

For instance, if you want to scan whats in Scan List 2, under that Vfolder, hit the number 2 and it will enable the scan list.
To access scan lists 11-20, hit FUNC and then the second number, for instance scan list 20 would hit FUNC + 0 to turn that scan list on. Scan list 16 would be FUNC + 6., and so on.

Make sure you review the what systems are preprogrammed into the Vscanner folder for your state to make sure they are the systems you are interested in monitoring. If they are not preprogrammed, you will have to do some programming for yourself.
Good luck.

N8IAA

Understand that what has been put into these V-folders is probably 3 years old and doesn't reflect the rebanding and changes in the Tennesee database. My suggestion is to buy a short term membership here on RR and download the free trial of Win500. It was developed by Don Starr, who consulted with GRE on the PSR-500/600 and Pro-106/197 series of scanners. Also, get the USB programming cable. You can then import what you want from the RR database directly into the software and upload it to the scanner. Much easier than trying to use the OLD V-folder.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.