New Vanderburgh County Sheriff Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooney

All squad cars used by the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office eventually will be white, a shift from the older brown-and-tan cruisers.

The change — which is expected to be less costly — has nothing to do with the Evansville Police Department’s new black vehicles, said Sheriff Eric Williams.

“We’ve had our white cars longer than they’ve had their black cars,” Williams said. “So it really is not about what one is doing (in response to) the other. But I guess people could see it that way.”

The decision came more than a year ago as a way to cut the added cost of buying two-tone squad cars.

The tan-and-brown combo that’s been an Indiana Sheriffs’ Association standard since about 1960 costs $1,500 to $1,800 extra to place on cars.

The sheriff’s office here buys about 10 cars a year.

That color combo isn’t available year-round, so replacing squad cars midyear means a costly custom-paint job or waiting until they’re available again, Williams said.

Even when the two colors are available, they change over the years and shades vary between manufacturers, he added.

That takes away from “the uniformity that is desired in the fleet,” Williams said in a news release announcing the change.

“The white cars have also been found to be cooler inside,” Williams said.

Residents can expect to see white cars and two-toned cars in the approximately 70-car fleet throughout the next few years until the older ones wear out.

The switch came at a time when changes were coming anyway. Ford is discontinuing production of the Crown Victoria after this year, and Williams’ office is deciding what its next fleet vehicle will be.

It could be Ford’s new Interceptor, the Dodge Charger or the Chevrolet Impala.

Officials will likely decide by the end of the year. It’s unclear how much more they will cost compared with the base $22,000 for the Crown Victorias.

“Whatever we pick … if we wanted to stick with the tan-and-brown, there’s going to be an upcharge.”

The sheriff’s office already has a white Dodge Charger.

It also has an “eco-save” drive mode, which automatically changes the number of its eight cylinders firing during certain types of driving, said Sgt. John Snyder.

Attachments

• Image_0.jpg
    Image_0.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,234

KLH

Feed Provider
I've noticed several counties (Knox County included) that are switching their colors from the tan/brown to white. Is this switch to white going to go state wide ?

Viper43

I saw the strangest car the other day. It was white and on the doors it said Police in huge letters then small ltters under that it said Sheriff. Not sure who it was but they were headed N on 67 from McCordsville.

GTO_04

I've noticed several counties (Knox County included) that are switching their colors from the tan/brown to white. Is this switch to white going to go state wide ?

No, but there is a trend toward single colors it seems. Hamilton County is switching it's fleet to black cruisers.

GTO_04

W9NES

I saw a White Dodge Charger a couple of weeks back in Hendricks County near the Hendricks/Marion County Line.Had the SHERIFF on the back trunk lid and had the Sheriff Stars on both doors.The Deputy was driving the same car the Spooney posted. As far as Hamilton County, They got that idea from Hamilton County,Ohio (Cincinati) where all of the Sheriff Cars are black.

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
I brought this up - unofficially, mind you - with another sheriff office in Indiana. They said that it's a $500 difference. This is specific to each contract for purchase with Dodge, though. Because of the relatively small charge-up, and because it remains a Sheriff's Association standard, this particular agency said that they'd be keeping the tan-and-brown paint scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.