New version of SDR Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I thought this might help anyone who is just getting started in Software Defined Radio. I use an R820T dongle with SDR Sharp, Frequency Manager and Scanner plugin, DSD+ and VB Cable.

I am running version 1.0.0.1312 of SDR Sharp along with version 1.6.1 of the Frequency Manager and Scanner plugin, DSD+ and VB cable.these versions work flawlessly together on my desktop with dual core Intel processors running at a speed of 3.20 Ghz and 4 GB of DDR 3 ram.

On my laptop computer running Intel dual core processors at 2.2 Ghz and 2 GB of DDR 2 ram not so much. SDR Sharp and the Frequency Manager and Scanner plugin ( same versions as above ) run perfectly, but when I add on DSD+ I get a lot of error messages when decoding Apco 25. I just can't seem to get the correct combination of PPM Squelch and AGC going to decode. So I think that the laptop is not up to the task of running all of the programs that the desktop can run as the desktop is the more powerful computer. However DSD+ with a discriminator tapped radio work great, no problems.

Also I note that when I use the telescopic antenna fully extended, I get a lot of error messages when using SDR Sharp, the F.M. and Scanner plugin with DSD+ to decode Apco 25. What I have to do is collapse the antenna down to one link, that stops the error messages.

MB

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
1. Disable Squelch. You'll get an error when the P25 starts when it breaks the Squelch.
2. Don't overload DSD+ (SDR# volume). Keep the DSD+ Level somewhere in the middle, 50% or lower will keep errors out. DSD+ is more sensitive than a lot of decoding apps out there.
3. Check your gain in SDR#. Too strong of a signal will cause errors as well. This is why when you collapse the antenna of your discrim mod radio your error rate drops.

DickH

... What I have to do is collapse the antenna down to one link, that stops the error messages.

MB

If it's around 850MHz, 1/4 wavelength is 3-1/4 Inches. That length and multiples of it should work OK. 6-1/2" & 13" should work OK.

moonbounce

If it's around 850MHz, 1/4 wavelength is 3-1/4 Inches. That length and multiples of it should work OK. 6-1/2" & 13" should work OK.

No, it is 138 to 144 MHz and the signal is very strong. I keep the desktop and the laptop at the same increment.

I won't have time to try Spleen's suggestions until Monday.

MB

moonbounce

1. Disable Squelch. You'll get an error when the P25 starts when it breaks the Squelch.
2. Don't overload DSD+ (SDR# volume). Keep the DSD+ Level somewhere in the middle, 50% or lower will keep errors out. DSD+ is more sensitive than a lot of decoding apps out there.
3. Check your gain in SDR#. Too strong of a signal will cause errors as well. This is why when you collapse the antenna of your discrim mod radio your error rate drops.

So on my laptop I have removed all programs that I thought might hinder the operation for SDR Sharp and the Frequency Manager and Scanner plugin, VB Cable, DSD+ But all in vain, I removed Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes and anything related to Adobe. still my laptop will not pickup any frequencies while scanning, if it does it stop on the broadcast freq. for a second or two only and then scans off of it.. When I first put all of the programs on the laptop, they ran okay but with a lot of errors but now nothing. If I take the R820T dongle out of my laptop and put it in my desktop, it runs perfectly. So I am thinking the laptop is just not powerful enough to handle all those programs running at the same time. I new I should have bought an Intel i5 at least.

Anyways for those of you who might want to run DSD+ with SDR Sharp get at least an Intel i5 laptop, it should be able to handle the work load with no problem.

Moonbounce

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Had the same thing. It works now but have no idea what I did to get it to do so. LOL

The other day it wouldn't scan and I found out you have to have the squelch turned up high enough just like on a scanner for it to not be hung up if that helps.

Before it would just flit from one freq to another without stopping for more than a split second. Don't know why and don't know what ended up getting it to work.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.