New version of the Yaesu FT-60R ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seligman

With Motorola in the picture now, is there any chance Yaesu will make a new version of the FT-60R using the VX-170/177 chassis?

The loud audio of the VX-170 is a HUGE advantage to me. I often listen to the radio in noisy environments where only the VX-170 is loud enough for me to hear. The big screen is nice too.

I once tested a VX-7R that belonged to a friend of mine. Not counting the weak speaker audio, the complexity of that radio was a big turn off. I have a feeling the new VX-8R will only be worse in this regard.

Your thoughts?

N8IAA

With Motorola in the picture now, is there any chance Yaesu will make a new version of the FT-60R using the VX-170/177 chassis?

The loud audio of the VX-170 is a HUGE advantage to me. I often listen to the radio in noisy environments where only the VX-170 is loud enough for me to hear. The big screen is nice too.

I once tested a VX-7R that belonged to a friend of mine. Not counting the weak speaker audio, the complexity of that radio was a big turn off. I have a feeling the new VX-8R will only be worse in this regard.

Your thoughts?

I agree. A FT60 on the 170 chassis with the screen and audio would be a rado added to my collection. I love my 170, with the exception that it is single banded(not a bad thing for what I use it for). The low audio on the 60 was more of an issue than the smaller screen. Easy to operate and widebanded receive that worked well. I miss mine, but, will be waiting for something new to come out:)
Larry

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

/\/\ could really give two poops about the ham division, and if they were going to redesign a radio as much as a FT60 to a dualband VX170, they would just scrap it completely and have something more complicated like a higher powered VX3/dumbed down VX8 etc...

Be happy with what you have, it might not always be there.

N8IAA

/\/\ could really give two poops about the ham division, and if they were going to redesign a radio as much as a FT60 to a dualband VX170, they would just scrap it completely and have something more complicated like a higher powered VX3/dumbed down VX8 etc...

Be happy with what you have, it might not always be there.

I have learned that in 23+yrs as a ham. Radios that are good do not neccessarily stay around. My only true complaint about the FT60 is the audio is not loud enough. I also believe that /\/\otherola would make a simple but quality radio design through Yaesu for hams.
Larry

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I also believe that /\/\otherola would make a simple but quality radio design through Yaesu for hams.
Larry

I hope motorola stays as far away from the ham side as possible. With the junk they have been turning out lately (HT1250 & family, morotrbo, etc) they would end up making an overpriced hunk of something that would require 10 firmware updates before it worked properly.

Remember, they are not even wanting to deal with the sub-$1000 market, hence the vertex connection. They want to sell over-priced, under-performing digital radios to governments that are being sold a bill of goods without fully understanding what they are getting themselves into.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Motorola is not what it used to be!
They trick people into thinking that what you are buying is MOTO but in reality other people pay Moto to be able to slap their logo in the front of a radio. The FRS/GMRS crappy-talkies are a prime example. I hope that thy stay far far away from the Ham stuff.

Manny

seligman

What bothers me about many new radios is the declining usability for even the most basic features. They've crammed so many extras into these radios and changed the menu systems so many times that it's horribly difficult to make minor adjustments.

That's why the VX-150, VX-170/177, and FT-60R rank so high in my book - they have a consistent user interface that isn't too difficult to learn.

I noticed the keypad on the VX-8R is different from the VX-7R. Numbers 1-9 are in the exact same location, but they switched the "0" and "V/M" keys. The "Band" key has moved from the upper-righthand corner to the upper-lefthand corner. Several of the other function keys have changed locations as well. Why can't they settle on a consistent keypad design?

N8IAA

What bothers me about many new radios is the declining usability for even the most basic features. They've crammed so many extras into these radios and changed the menu systems so many times that it's horribly difficult to make minor adjustments.

That's why the VX-150, VX-170/177, and FT-60R rank so high in my book - they have a consistent user interface that isn't too difficult to learn.

I noticed the keypad on the VX-8R is different from the VX-7R. Numbers 1-9 are in the exact same location, but they switched the "0" and "V/M" keys. The "Band" key has moved from the upper-righthand corner to the upper-lefthand corner. Several of the other function keys have changed locations as well. Why can't they settle on a consistent keypad design?

There you have it, the redesigned VX7 in a new wrapper. I agree about the way motherola has no trouble pulling the wool over the eyes of the instant homeland security millionaire $ winners for new radio systems. I will take my Yaesu's over the batwings any day.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.