• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New VP8000 Firmware/Software drop

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if anyone here not qualifying for senior discount at cafeteria have examined new drop for working improvements? I see at once that zone/channel display now works correctly with DMR channels 👍. I don’t have DMR tier III option ($?) so no observation there. Not certified for Moto repeaters. It appears (untried) it will now do auto slot select (repeater only?) like NX series. Still no dual slot simplex?
So what’s the deal with location services? LMR, Repeat, direct…?—how to set up and is it incestuous only? Is texting more brand promiscuous? I’m hoping younger agile minds have tackled this while us mature adults gather at the cafeteria for 16:00hr supper.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Hey Mark, the texting requires the server to be installed and attached to the system, at this time.

I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet, as I had yo buy another vp8000 out of pocket. As soon as I get it in 3 weeks (when it gets shipped in 2 weeks) I will be able to go in to the test group and start working on the other stuff.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Currently the texting feature only works with P25C. I have it and it doesn't work with DMR. No dual slot simplex yet either.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Dual Slot simplex would help me single frequency repeat (SFR) which I have working via "work around" on Moto and Chinese radios. Haven't tried Harris/Tait gear yet. My VP8000 and my NX5000 don't work with SFR even though NX5000 has dual slot. A robust standardized SFR solution would dominate in SAR/USAR field setups (no duplexers or hardline and even portables can BE a SFR). Well, MESH would be the ultimate but at present military expensive (Persistence Systems) incestuous, and only available waveforms/bandwidths are above 1.3ghz.

On location services-- I guess having a base station with server attached (not ridiculous $) would help Command know where subscribers are. I wonder if I could run several servers on same laptop to capture Motorola radios as well? Presently playing with ATAK and wifi range mesh rf modems--sort of work but a lot of wires and crap to keep up with and a high nerd factor. With lte pretty good but battery hog on phone.

texting in DMR is pretty incestuous anyway so lacking a clear standard why should KW bother--

151.4 PL issue still there but you can use FPP to fix it in radio.