• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

new vs old ? (ssb/cb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I need a new cb -- I had a uniden 980 that I liked but it was stolen out of my truck.
Before that I had a cobra 148 that seemed to be bullet proof (until the antenna got shorted and fried the board).

so considering that I want another SSB radio; I find myself trying to decide: Cobra 148 (older, side mounted mike) or a new (warranty) uniden 980.

both have their pluses and minuses.... but it does boil down to used vs new for about the same price... Cobra was modified for power control (1-4watt, not boost/peak) and 'extra channels' (that is mostly useless unless you have another 148 to talk to w/same channels) 980 is brand new warrantied, and has fairly solid ssb tune (no drift).

Any thoughts?

k8krh

I would get the UNIDEN, stable and a warranted radio. you can peak/tune a bit not much, check cbradio magazine, they sound good on ssb also.
DOCTOR/795

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input! Not many people use those extra channels anyway, or so it seems around here...

flhays

Premium Subscriber
I have an old CB. I've had it for 15+ years. Does any one recommend a new one with SSB? I only use the CB when travelling long distances and not as much chatter on the CB like there used to be or has every one migrated to SSB?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have an old CB. I've had it for 15+ years. Does any one recommend a new one with SSB? I only use the CB when travelling long distances and not as much chatter on the CB like there used to be or has every one migrated to SSB?

SSB users are, for the most part, DX chasers on the top four channels.

CB is still used by truckers. The 4x4 community uses them during trail rides.

Sent via Tapatalk

TheSpaceMann

I'd definitely go with an SSB radio. In many areas, SSB has become quite active! It also seems to me that the people on SSB are more like the CBers of old, and I have generally found found fewer "characters" using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.