New Watchung Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
R60 posted about this already but there's a new tower up at Watchung Chemical Engine firehouse on Bonnie Burn Road. I can't find any of the licenses listing this new location yet. It's just a cabinet at the base. There's no shanty. So seems like its probably all conventional for the locals.

Photos care of little brother @RadioNerd90.

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_153240154.jpg
    IMG_20200912_153240154.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200912_153252622.jpg
    IMG_20200912_153252622.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 124

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Better than lazy 21, don’t you think?😂

AvidHiker

I've been watching them build that. The way Weldon seems to be expanding right to the limits of their property, I was wondering if maybe they were trying to relocate the old tower behind the fence there.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I've been watching them build that. The way Weldon seems to be expanding right to the limits of their property, I was wondering if maybe they were trying to relocate the old tower behind the fence there.

Seems that way. Lord knows Weldon didn't wait very long after Colorado Cafe was gone to push everything off the property there. My understanding in Weldon is slowly coming to the limitations of the quarry in the next decade or so.

AvidHiker

I could have sworn I read an article about decommissioning the quarry a little over a decade ago and, at the time, it sounded like local authorities expected that to happen within 5 years or so. Since then, Weldon has grabbed every piece of property on their perimeter (Colarado Cafe and several homes). Seems they've been negotiating with Watchung to quarry closer to Bonnie Burn, reducing the limit from 300 to 150 feet, based on what was done at Millington quarry. But, yeah, there can't be much left to squeeze out of it.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know,the antenna at the very top looks like a normal uhf but the 2 to the right look like the fat TRS antennas, maybe county is gonna use that as another site for their trucked system for better coverage up there
(1) Comscope 450-470 exposed dipole (2) Telewave 6db UHF wide-band fiberglass antennas.

County TRS.....not at this time. They have bigger fish to fry.😂

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What apparatus do they keep at the Bonnie Burn station?
It seems that all of the post you've made so far are about fire departments or fire apparatus, not radio. You might be better off asking these questions on a forum that focuses on discussions of the fire service across NJ, rather than a forum that caters to discussion of radio and scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.