Waterloo Regional P25 System

ve3ypn

Has anyone found the new P25 system they now have up and running in Waterloo Region yet ? I have heard them testing it and they have begun to change and seriously reduce the talk groups on the current system.

As of the end of Aug they will slowly migrate over to the new system so it's up and running, but no one seems to have found it yet !!

ve3ypn

Thank you Forts, but unfortunately I don't live close enough to search for it, I work in Waterloo Region but live too far away to pick up their system even on my outdoor antennae so if anyone in that area could keep searching I would appreciate it, I am pretty sure most of the ProVoice digital side of the current system (encrypted police and radio techs) are on the new system already !

Muxlow

Super Secret
I was in the area today. Scanned the 7/800 MHz band and found no control channels other then the current EDACS one.
Even manually searched each LCN on the EDACS system to make sure I didn't overlook anything.

mciupa

Someone had submitted these below on August 19th:
  • 773.51875 770.18125 770.55625 770.68125 770.85625 771.00625 772.41875 771.25625 771.35625 771.58125 771.10625 772.66875 773.16875 773.26875 773.41875 769.93125
I was in Waterloo on August 24th and had no activity on any of these. Meanwhile, the EDACS system was busy with Transit, Fire and Police.

Just looking at some of those frequencies, I see a lot that are used by Toronto. If anyone is in the KW area, let me know the System ID for this trunked system to validate their legitimacy.

ve3ypn

Thanks for the great response so far. I do know the system is up but no one seems to be able to find it. I work for the region and we have a pile of new radio's waiting to be installed in our vehicles.

We have to wait for Police and Fire to go online first and they seem to be slow at doing this for some reason. Yes, they are having quite a problem with the EDACS system right now as they have almost no replacement parts for it and it needs them.

Yes, there is also a bird nest causing a problem as well....lol...but lives are at risk because of the poor communications they are having and have had to double up in cruisers because they can't rely on radio for backup.

I know the police are pushing to get this rolling ASAP. We have been told that this should happen in the next few weeks to a month or so. But I can't find anyone so far that knows anything of the new system except that it is definitely P25...I expect phase 2 but not certain !

mciupa

Not only did I check the 768 to 775 range, I also searched through 860 to 869 and only found EDACS an no P25 whatsoever. There are regular submitters of info who live in the area. They have not come forward with the new frequencies or System ID.

ve3ypn

I have even listened to the techs testing it while linked into it on EDACS...lol... but can't find the system....so strange....

Unless it is still on the bench and not actually installed to the site yet, that's a possibility but keep listening we should find it soon !

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
I find it funny that our government hides this info in the TAFL but we enthusiasts find it within seconds of it coming up on the air. I stalked the 800mhz band years ago when the then-new Peel P25 came alive, and submitted it here as soon as my scanner locked on the control channel and I confirmed patching to the old system.

This system will be no different.

2Dis

If I wanted to search for this, how would I go about doing so?

Uniden BCD325P2.

Muxlow

Super Secret
When I was passing by a few months ago, I got a hit off of 868.3250 that was showing to have 11 frequencies, P25 and had some TEST channel markers via unitrunker and did see some active talkgroups. I didn't make a note of the system or any other details as I figured this was Guelph's system or whoevers. Perhaps that system was live for testing for a day or or for KW?

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
I live in Kitchener and have been searching from about 700Mhz to 900Mhz and of course get all the functional channels fro the Waterloo Region system.

However there is 1 frequency that sounds odd. Different intervals of carrier all day long, some short, some long, but no voice.

Perhaps take a listen on 866.725Mhz. Not as strong as ususal but still a pretty good strength.

Should we be able to hear voice on these new channels or will we hear carrier only because it is scrambled?

Ralph VE3EUK

Last edited:

gary123

if its encrypted you will either see ENC or you will hear garbage. it depends on what your using as a reciever.