Waterloo Regional P25 System

rkillins

Thanks,

My P25 Data File is similar but it has :

Site 1.1 NAC = 971

Channel 0-0: 851.00625 Voice
Channel 0-2555 866.975 scc
etc ...

Should I get rid of the "Channel 0-0" line?

ATCTech

Thanks,

My P25 Data File is similar but it has :

Site 1.1 NAC = 971

Channel 0-0: 851.00625 Voice
Channel 0-2555 866.975 scc
etc ...

Should I get rid of the "Channel 0-0" line?

You can, or delete the entire section of the DSDP25 file for the Waterloo system. DSD+ will automatically regenerate it if you manually tune FMP(x) to the 868.325 MHz control channel and let it sit there for a couple of minutes.

rkillins

Friday January 3rd, 2020 - Is anyone able to confirm the active control channel. I am getting very weak reception on 868.3250 with DSD+ (v2.228), which is out of the ordinary. DSD+ reports finding the CC but decoding is so poor that even the system information is barely decoded. I have not had this poor of reception last week.

ATCTech

I'm receiving the CC on 868.325 at my usual "ok but not great" level down here near Milton. The system ID etc. is decoding properly. SDR# using an Airspy is showing about 22dB (S+N)/N so pretty decent quality.

Bob

rkillins

Thanks Bob. A bit weird weird. I don't know enough about the technology to try and explain the difference between last week and this week.

ATCTech

Once I start snooping around between about 867.50 and 868.9875 I encounter enough spillover (RF overloading actually) from very nearby PCS towers that in some cases the additional gain offered by my 800 MHz yagi actually becomes a hindrance over the relatively "deaf" discone in that band. A delicate balance of software-controlled RF gain/bandwidth setting is the only band-aid at my disposal and the Airspy does much better than a RTL dongle in those conditions. I suspect an actual scanner could be even worse.

Square

"Waterloo Region's multi-million dollar voice radio revamp is gearing up to be rolled out this Summer, with an added price tag being approved last week by the Police Services Board. "

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
An interesting read. Sounds like its going to be a fast transition, compared to the usual year or two it takes to switch over. But, out with old and in with the new and no mention of the big E. WRPS for sure! As for everyone else, lets cross our fingers!

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
I loved to listen to WRPS. The only municipal police service that isn't encrypted still that comes to mind is Barrie PS. :(

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I loved to listen to WRPS. The only municipal police service that isn't encrypted still that comes to mind is Barrie PS. :(

Chatham-Kent is still ProVoice. But aside from them, it's only smaller services and those are few & far between these days.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Barrie PS, OPP, CKPS, and WRPS (for now) still remain in the clear. As for the other 50+ police services in the rest of the province, they are all using some sort of encryption.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Going off-topic here but Barrie PS does have encryption. Thankfully they only use it on their OPS 2 channel for sensitive ops.

bwjmackie

Please forgive my "newbie"-esque question/ignorance...

I have a BCD996XT and use FreeScan. Is there any kind soul here who might be willing to help me with setting up this system so I can listen to it please? To avoid polluting this thread too much, perhaps send me a PM. Thank you! (PS: I know PD will be encrypted - I'm just interested in FD).

Muxlow

Super Secret
The many times I've passed by, Haven't seen or heard a damn thing off the system yet either. Guess just setting it up still and doing all their testing.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'd have to look up the actual talkgroup in use but there was some activity on the system that last time I was down that way.