Waterloo Regional P25 System

gary123

Figuring out which TG is for which area will take a bit of foot work. You wil need to see a unit at a call then watch for him to use the radio and try and match what TG became active. This is a lot harder now because of heavy MPS use. Another helper will be capturing the RIDs with a good enough library you might be able to match a RID during a patched call.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I did some monitoring of this system today and 3001, 3002, 3003 are clearly the 1/2/3 division dispatch channels. No clue which is which though. In the span of an hour or so I logged maybe a dozen PD talkgroups, give or take. And saw at least 7 different AES keys in use (they sure went nuts with the encryption!). Only heard a few fire calls but IMO it sounded really really good. I believe everything I saw was Phase 2.

gary123

LOL I bet all 8 slots are filled. Unless they decided to load up the MACE. AES I assume.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes, all AES as expected. Originally I thought the spec called for the entire system to be enc... glad to see fire is at least in the clear. Hopefully stays that way.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Even if Transit Enforcement stays in the clear, we will still get a good idea of what's going on. Would if be safe to say that:
3001 - 1 Division
3002 - 2 Division
3003 - 3 Division

gary123

A question. Not that I particularly care but it might be of interest. Does the RR rules allow the listing of KID to TG?.

mciupa

I would think it is a simulcast of this:

154.01000 BMTownshipPgrsTownship Fire Pagers FMN Fire Dispatch

CDTbolt10033

Premium Subscriber
When I listen on Township Paging DEC: 1079, nothing comes over. I only hear Township activity over Regional Fire Dispatch DEC: 1000.
Do they have a digital paging setup on their old Frequency 154.010?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You're likely in the best position to figure that out... I don't think many others in this thread are in the immediate area.

gary123

Same as any other P25 compatible scanner. Scan scans whatever you programmed, Search searches any active TG

mciupa

They may have converted to P25. Did they do a page out to an incident?

If so, then we can update the database.

CDTbolt10033

Premium Subscriber
I don't think they are using two-tone paging anymore, but haven't heard anything on that channel for page-outs or two-tone. I mainly hear them using Regional Fire Dispatch DEC:1000 for Township Fire.

When they were still using the old system back in the summer, Elmira did a pager test like they usually do every Saturday around noon or shortly after noon. When they requested a pager test for the last time with the old analog system (154.010) after the regular pager test they said "Elmira firefighters standby for a test of the G5 pagers" I heard tones go out for that.

I don't hear any two-tone paging now with this P25 system still trying to find the paging channel/frequency but I think they may be using Unication digital address paging when they call a dept on DEC:1000 there is another ID underneath the main ID. It is different for every dept.

Like today, I watched Elmira's pager test and for Elmira, for fire it showed ID: 1705 under DEC:1000 and for Elmira Medical it showed ID: 1706 under DEC:1000.