New Whistler WS 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

adobekid1

Premium Subscriber
It has been 30 years since I bought a new scanner. Our local police changed from analog to digital (I think) and I could not receive them anymore. So I bought new Whistler 1040 thinking I could receive the police now but for some reason I can't. The scanner is working but on search I don't get anything more than I got (and still get) with my analog scanner. Before I return this unit I just wanted to ask if maybe the police here in Lenoir, N.C. 28645 have changed to a signal I just can't get period. I used the frequency as found here on this site and it has not changed. Seems like long ago I heard the name "Viper" when they changed but not sure about that. Thanks in advance for helping or trying to help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It has been 30 years since I bought a new scanner. Our local police changed from analog to digital (I think) and I could not receive them anymore. So I bought new Whistler 1040 thinking I could receive the police now but for some reason I can't. The scanner is working but on search I don't get anything more than I got (and still get) with my analog scanner. Before I return this unit I just wanted to ask if maybe the police here in Lenoir, N.C. 28645 have changed to a signal I just can't get period. I used the frequency as found here on this site and it has not changed. Seems like long ago I heard the name "Viper" when they changed but not sure about that. Thanks in advance for helping or trying to help.
Hi adobe
Welcome to RadioReference

Looking at your county's database page, it's showing Lenoir PD on a couple of analog conventional frequencies, and no changes.

However, I also see that Lenoir, and other Caldwell County users, also has several talkgroups on the statewide VIPER system. That's a P25 Phase I trunked system, but it's one your WS1040 can handle. If they have changed to that system (it's not noted on the county database change, but maybe no one submitted the update), then you would need to program the site (or sites, I see two in your county) closest to you, and add those talkgroups to hear Lenoir.

The easiest way to do that is with a Premium membership, and use software to download the needed information. However, it can be done manually through the scanner's keyboard.

See this Wiki page to get started. Explore the linkls on that page for additional information and tips: Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Bear in mind that though the title of the page reflects Radio Shack & GRE scanners, Whistler now produces these radios as GRE no longer exists. Any software or programming information listed as for the PSR-500, Pro-106, or Pro-651, also applies to your Whistler WS1040. The Easier to Read manual has step by step programming instructions, as does this Wiki page.

You may want to check on the correct system to use in your state's regional forum. If so, do not create a new thread.
Instead, click on the red-outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post to 'report' the thread. In the memo box that is generated, request that your thread be moved to the North Carolina regional forum. A moderator will see that and move it for you. Once the thread is moveed to your state forum, other members in that state, who may be familiar with your area, are more likely to see it and give you a reply.

adobekid1

Premium Subscriber
Steve, you have been of great help. So..... not knowing much, I would guess that I would have to use the "talkgroup" to receive the Lenoir PD now because the only thing I am able to get right now is fire. I'll save all this with screenshots and continue. Yes, I did write down the frequencies on your posted list and I think they are still the same from 25 years ago. You have steered me in the right direction and I appreciate it!

adobekid1

Premium Subscriber
Whistler ws 1040

I did subscribe as a premium member and hope the download to my scanner goes well. It's not that this old man, 74, can't figure it out with your information, it's just that it will save so much time! Again, thanks for your help and you can always find me at Lenoir and Caldwell County History, Facebook. That's NC and I am on our local Board of Directors, Caldwell Heritage Museum.

adobekid1

Premium Subscriber
As a premium member,I do need to now how to download the programming software from this web site. I do have the usb cable and I have the Starrsoft information that came with the scanner. Is this easily explained in steps?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As a premium member,I do need to now how to download the programming software from this web site. I do have the usb cable and I have the Starrsoft information that came with the scanner. Is this easily explained in steps?
There are three programs that you can use for your WS1040. Win500, PSREdit500, and ARC500. All can be downloaded, and have a thirty day free trial. After 30 days, you will either need to purchase a license for the program you choose, or quit using it. Download links are here for all three: Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki
Other information is also on that page.

For Win500, see if this helps: WIN500 - UtahRadio

The User Guide for ARC500 is hosted in the Wiki on RadioReference.

Load the software of your choice.
Start the software and use the Import Option.
On Win500, that's under File->Web Import->RadioReference.com then choose either Conventional or Trunked systems. For Viper, use Trunked.
On PSREdit500, use the drop down Import menu om the top line.

You then sign in with your RadioReference ID & password. Then choose your state, and county, then select the system.

I use Win500, but also have PSREdit500. Depending on who you ask, you'll get varying comments on which program is best. All three will do the job, just in slightly different ways. You may find that one of them seems more comfortable to use, or maybe has some features similar to other software you are familiar with.

I've attached aa quick file I created for your county and the VIPER talkgroups specific to your county. The file is zipped to comply with Forum rules for attachments. Use a file utility such as WinZip or the free 7-Zip to extract the Caldwell.p500 file, then open that with Win500.

You can always edit the text descriptions to make them more relevant for you. You can also assign colors for the LED alerts. Choose your own scheme. I use Red for Fire related, the Cyan (light blue) for local and county law enforcement agencies, the Dark Blue for state agencies, and Yellow for EMS. But you can use whatever appeals to you.

Note that, in Win500, on the General Settings tab, you'll see a box labeled as "Welcome Text", and there are four lines. You can use them however you want, and they will display on the display when you turn the scanner on. I use my name, email address, phone #, and a 'reward if found'. Some emmbers prefer to use a label for the file, such as what area it covers, and the date of the last update. The choice is yours.

Try to create your own file first, then look at the one I attached. You can always add much more than just your county. Just remember that if you download a programming file to the scanner, it replaces whatever was in there. So, if yuo want to add additional agencies, such as state police or neighboring counties, add them to your working file. If you put then in a new file, then upload that, that will overwrite tour county information.

Attachments

• Caldwell.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 16

adobekid1

Premium Subscriber
Ws 1040 Whistler

Thanks Steve! I was able to program my scanner just with information from this forum and from Youtube videos. I don't really see the need now to download to program. Glad I joined this site anyway because I could not have programmed without your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve! I was able to program my scanner just with information from this forum and from Youtube videos. I don't really see the need now to download to program. Glad I joined this site anyway because I could not have programmed without your help.
Glad you got it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.