New Windows 10 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
So last month I bought an Intel NUC to use for radio purposes including a dozen or so instances of ProScan, ARC-xx, Pro96Com, AirNav Radarbox etc.

I reused a 1TB 2.5 inch SSD from my old computer, just plugged it in and Windows 10 found the hardware and everything worked. That SSD had started life with Windows 7 Pro, and I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was offered. From there there were 2 different upgrades to the most recent v1703. The mechanical hard drive that this SSD replaced had started with Vista, later updated to Windows 7.

Last week I found a series of disk errors so I figured it was time to reformat and restore. I figured it might be better however to do a fresh install, so I can get rid of legacy crap from Vista and Windows 7.

I got a Windows 10 USB flash drive complete with the latest version (1703 "Creator"). I also bought a new M.2 SSD from Crucial (1TB $289 at Amazon) since my NUC has both an M.2 and 2.5 slots. I removed the 2.5 SSD and installed the M.2.

I then booted the NUC with the flash drive and the Windows installed prompted me thru the install process.

Now this is where I diverge. If you know me then you know I am a true Apple fanboy, 2 iMacs, a MBA, iPhones, iPads etc.). I not only drink the Apple kool-aid, I bathe in it. With this said, I have never had an easier OS installation than I did last night.

In less than 5 minutes Windows was installed, restarted and ready to go. All I had to do was type in the Product Key, confirm that I was in the USA and agree to the legalese.

Next is to install the hardware, that will be tonight's job. I have about 15 serial ports, a dozen sound cards and the BT mouse/KB. The last time I did this it was simple and easy so I don't expect any problems.

I am getting more and more happy with Windows 10, it is approaching the Mac in simplicity.

N2AL

Wow! I am also a drinker of the Apple Kool-Aid and I am shocked! Usually I curse Windows 10 because it does not function like I wish it would. Ha it doesn't work similar to a Mac I suppose.

Thanks for the information and I look forward to any advice you can give us Mac users. 73!

Rred

Rich-
I was under the impression that you needed an Enterprise Edition (i.e. corporate) of Win10 in order to install it on a flash drive, and that even then, that's not the same as "installation media" so you couldn't install a new Win10 installation from it.
Exactly what did you use? Someone downloaded an ISO image of the Win10 installation disk to the flash drive?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich-
I was under the impression that you needed an Enterprise Edition (i.e. corporate) of Win10 in order to install it on a flash drive, and that even then, that's not the same as "installation media" so you couldn't install a new Win10 installation from it.
Exactly what did you use? Someone downloaded an ISO image of the Win10 installation disk to the flash drive?

Yes, I got the flash drive with the ISO on it and used my Product key.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Status
Not open for further replies.