New WinXX versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

First I want to dump out all the objects I have in my Win500 program. I want to erase everything in the program and start from new.

File; New Template

(In other words, press the File menu item and then in the File menu, press the New Template menu item).

You will be prompted to select which scanner you have so select the "RadioShack PRO-106 / PRO-197" option and press OK (not really that important, but will populate the Welcome Text entries to reflect your scanner's default values. As that dialog box states "Since you're probably going to customize that text anyway, it really doesn't matter what you select here." so don't fret the entry too much.

This will give you a new tab on your WIN-500 program loaded with the default values. This tab will have the default name of "(new template)" as a reminder for you to give it a better name sometime soon (not required but will make it much easier to keep track of what tab is what).

Next I want to upload all my objects in my Pro 106 scanner to the Win 500 program.

Make sure you're on the new tab you created above (initially named "(new template)" but may be different if you've already renamed it.

Scanner; Download from Scanner

This will have that new tab reflect the programming from your Pro-106 scanner. As I indicated in my earlier post, I strongly recommend that you then save that information in a file. Name it something that will let you know that it's how your Pro-106 was programmed at that time (key there is some informative text followed by the date or date & time you saved the file).

File; Save As ...

You will be prompted for a file name so this is where you will enter that informative text and hopefully also the date or date & time as I recommended. Make sure that the file is saved somewhere where you'll be able to find it later and someplace where you have permission to write file(s) [most later versions of Windows restrict where a user can write files].

Once the file has been written, your tab's name will change to reflect the new file's name.

To make sure that you don't accidently modify that initial load file's contents, save the file again under a different name (reflecting the state of the programming after you do your modifications!).

File; Save As ...

You will again be prompted for a file name. Again, something informative along with the date or date & time would be appropriate. Perhaps something like "MyFirstPro106ProgrammingYYYYMMDD" (making the appropriate entries for YYYY - Year, MM - two-digit month, DD - two-digit day). I understand that most folks would default to MMDDYYYY, but having the year first makes it much easier to find the earliest or latest entry due to how Windows sorts the filenames.

From what I have read so far I need to look at my screen in my scanner to do some of the work. Is this correct? I thought there would be a step by step manual in the Win 500 program but I didn't see one.

A "Help" file is listed as a Planned Feature that still doesn't appear to be available. While the program is generally fairly easy to follow, some knowledge of how the related scanners work is important to understanding the program. Sorry, but that's the nature of the beast. There's hope though.

A good instructional manual or extended help document is here --> WIN500 - UtahRadio

That manual (part of his "easier to read" series) may very well be the reason that Don never released his version of the "Help" file. It makes things quite clear for those that know the scanner and program very well along with those that are very new to both.

Good luck and enjoy your scanner and software!

Oh, I failed to mention something very important. When you register the software (to allow you to use it beyond the 30 day free trial period), be sure that you save the e-mail with your registration information in a couple of places (especially in at least one place that you'll be able to get to when your computer has crashed and all contents are irretrievably gone). Don's policy is to send one and only one e-mail with that information. You can ask for him to resend it when your computer has crashed but you'll probably end up just like the many others that never got a reply.

If you don't save your registration information you'll probably need to pay the normal full-price to get a new registration e-mail. This policy is clearly spelled out when you register, but most folks never read the text and simply click through. I may not like that policy, I may not even agree with that policy, but that's his policy so it's something we all just have to live with. I do, however, understand that policy. He has had issues with folks asking for "replacement" registration information and demanding a new one to "replace" one that was never paid for in the first place.

Michelle0H

This may be a silly question, but I'm an Apple girl...will Win97 work with all versions of Windows?

1979lee

I cant get my win97 program working
im getting back into scanning, i got out my win97 and tried to install it on my pc(windows 7 64bit) but i get appcrash everytime. i have my licence from starsoft, but i cant even get this to load:mad:

im gonna try it on a old windows 7 laptop later. but i
have to find it!

ok found it. and it installs,........ Guess win97 hate 64bit systems
=====================================
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Win97.exe
Application Version: 0.1.3.7
Application Timestamp: 545a8aea
Fault Module Name: StackHash_c9dd
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 003a340e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c9dd
Additional Information 2: c9ddfaa9b401b892f7b79fad5b433bbb
Additional Information 3: 7978
Additional Information 4: 79783fa40bc4812a835c9751a2c4ec8d

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:

microx

Hmm.. I have a Win7 64-bit machine here at work and both Win97 and Win500 install and operate fine. Not sure what the difference is.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
question about win500 is there a way to delete all the duplicate frequencies ? thank you

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN97

I cant get my win97 program working
im getting back into scanning, i got out my win97 and tried to install it on my pc(windows 7 64bit) but i get appcrash everytime. i have my licence from starsoft, but i cant even get this to load:mad:

im gonna try it on a old windows 7 laptop later. but i
have to find it!

ok found it. and it installs,........ Guess win97 hate 64bit systems
=====================================
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Win97.exe
Application Version: 0.1.3.7
Application Timestamp: 545a8aea
Fault Module Name: StackHash_c9dd
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 003a340e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c9dd
Additional Information 2: c9ddfaa9b401b892f7b79fad5b433bbb
Additional Information 3: 7978
Additional Information 4: 79783fa40bc4812a835c9751a2c4ec8d
Make sure you have the correct driver loaded for your cable. I'd go into Device Manager and make sure the cable is recognized with a COM port and that it shows it is working properly.

I also had an issue with the "data" under Windows 7 which someone here provided settings to solve. But as I recall the error was different than yours.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to attach 2 different colors to the LED on my scanner during transmissions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.