New wireless camera system online in bloomington, IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC-7

Camera Project paid for with part of a $142,000 State Farm Insurance Cos. grant.

Hmm, Paid for by an insurance company... Who wants to bet that they will be providing video to State Farm whenever asked?. Another example of companies owning local government by gifts. If it was just the PD using it for safety and evidence, that would be fine, but letting companies monitor you easier, is totally "Big Brother" style.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
True. State farm has their fingers in just about everything in this area. I have no use for them though.

n9zas

990adv

This question comes out of the blue, totally unrelated to this thread.

What happens if a powerful laser is aimed into a video camera?

gewecke

Banned
This question comes out of the blue, totally unrelated to this thread.

What happens if a powerful laser is aimed into a video camera?

Hmmm... and you're asking this WHY? :twisted:
You might damage the camera yes, but probably not before it records your image and location. Being caught wouldn't be worth the risk.
Personally I think the cams are a good idea.

n9zas

seeham

I watched an old episode of CSI last night where there was a camera and Katheryn pointed a laser at it and it did destroy the functionality of the camera. So it must be true, as seen on TV. LOL

gewecke

Banned
I watched an old episode of CSI last night where there was a camera and Katheryn pointed a laser at it and it did destroy the functionality of the camera. So it must be true, as seen on TV. LOL

That's funny! was it a drug dealer's cam or law enforcement, not that it matters. :lol:
good to see someone from my area on RR!

n9zas

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
So a large company donates money for a special project to the the government of the city their home office is in? Happens all the time everywhere. What's the big deal? Are you guys always so skeptical about every civic improvement project that was funded by donations from a private corporation that gives back to their company?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

gewecke

Banned
So a large company donates money for a special project to the the government of the city their home office is in? Happens all the time everywhere. What's the big deal? Are you guys always so skeptical about every civic improvement project that was funded by donations from a private corporation that gives back to their company?

Nope but if you knew anything about state farm then you would know that they don't flip the bill for anything or anyone unless there's something in it for them. I don't mind the cameras at all. skeptical no, just not so quick to trust in big conglomerates like SF.

n9zas

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Nope but if you knew anything about state farm then you would know that they don't flip the bill for anything or anyone unless there's something in it for them. I don't mind the cameras at all. skeptical no, just not so quick to trust in big conglomerates like SF.

n9zas

I actually know quite a bit about State Farm, particularly professionally. What do you think they are getting out of it?

There are lots of insurance companies that sponsor events, charities, sporting teams and venues, high school driver's education, and the list goes on and on and on.

State Farm is a national company that obviously has an overwhelming majority of their interests outside of Bloomington. I don't think donating funds for a municipal camera system in a Midwestern town has any fringe benefits for them other than good PR image.

The donation for a municipal camera system is relatively insignificant for a company the size of State Farm.

kb2vxa

Banned
“I can put my own camera system in,” Schertz said, noting that a shoplifter who stole a guitar from his shop in broad daylight about six weeks ago was caught but never prosecuted."

That tosses a spanner in the gearbox.

gewecke

Banned
I actually know quite a bit about State Farm, particularly professionally. What do you think they are getting out of it?

There are lots of insurance companies that sponsor events, charities, sporting teams and venues, high school driver's education, and the list goes on and on and on.

State Farm is a national company that obviously has an overwhelming majority of their interests outside of Bloomington. I don't think donating funds for a municipal camera system in a Midwestern town has any fringe benefits for them other than good PR image.

The donation for a municipal camera system is relatively insignificant for a company the size of State Farm.

Too big for their shorts.....
anyhoo, back on topic.

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Camera's are easily disabled by laser pointers, in fact it is used by the police in covert operations. They have a device that finds the camera's and then disables them with a laser.

Yeah, it's interesting that some leo's might attempt this, even though it's technically criminal damage to property.... especially if the property ends up being owned by a lawful citizen? :(

n9zas

cifn2

Feed Provider
They would probably be looking for the person who was in possession of that laser illegally.

gewecke

Banned
They would probably be looking for the person who was in possession of that laser illegally.

as far as I know, lasers are legal to own. I have laying right here that I play with my cats with.
What you do with them on the other hand.....

n9zas

cifn2

Feed Provider
as far as I know, lasers are legal to own. I have laying right here that I play with my cats with.
What you do with them on the other hand.....

n9zas

Believe certain ones are restricted to law enforcement/military etc.

gewecke

Banned
Believe certain ones are restricted to law enforcement/military etc.

Well there are some online that are 30mw that the general public can order which can be seen at 35,000 ft so I'm not sure what illegal or not.
As with anything, a certain amount of common sense is required here.

n9zas

EC-7

Im not saying that all companies have their hands in the govt's pockets when they donate, but it seems kinda like SF might.

If you wan to donate to a town, do it in other traditional ways, like donating to the school, sports team, local clubs, etc and get a banner or billboard out of the deal for advertising.

If if was "Joes Welding Shop" or "Harry's Meat Market" that donated money for the cameras, it would be much less suspicious.
If "Paul's Pawn" donated to the PD's new radio system, they might be wanting something in return, like their own radio to monitor LEO activities.

A lot of communities go after "corporate giving" for various community-based projects they can't or don't want to spend taxpayer money for (it's usually the latter), and the bigger corporations have programs to do exactly that. It's the responsible thing for a "corporate citizen" to do, now that the Supreme Court says they're people, too. Anyway, the article says these are a passive enforcement tool, and they are not actively monitored for ready enforcement, like they do in the U.K., where these things are everywhere.

Wait until the divorce and accident/DWI lawyers start subpeonaing the archives. Either they'll make tons of money off charging for the reproduction services, or they'll spread their staffing so thin they'll wish they weren't there. Probably both.

One thing that's usually a factor in these initiatives - the recurring cost of maintenance. For many communities (and I have no knowledge of Bloomington) they'll work until they break and then the powers that be figure out it will cost un-budgeted money to fix. Hopefully they've budgeted to maintain them. For the second part of the grant, many other places use GIS as a predictive analysis tool to identify trends and allocate their resources. Sometimes statistical analysis presented in a graphic manner helps overall situational awareness. That's not a bad thing.

I see no direct practical use for State Farm in getting this kind of data. Maybe if it were connected to ALPRS or some form of facial recognition, but that's way, way above $142K.

I'd rather see community policing by putting more beat cops out on the street, but that might be too proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.