New with old equip need help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SplitPhoton

Hi all, been visiting this site for some time. I recently came across a few radios at a local auction here in Toronto. I have been playing around with them, searched all the info I could find and have a few questions still unanswered due to lack of resources.

My main issue is with a radio called the YAESU FTH-7005. Im assuming because its a Canadian radio is part of the reason I can find only limited info. After some extensive searching I found posts on the model FTH-2006 which looks identical, the .pdf was helpful in that I was able to find the hidden keys on this radio and have been scanning the range from 220.mhz - 550mhz

http://www.mods.dk/mod/yaesu/FTH-2006_programming.pdf

My question is as follows, my radio seems to scan in .025 so certain freq's are skipped that I can dial in on my AR-2002.

According to the .pdf the FTH-2006 can be internally modified to scan with 12.5 steps via jumper pads. I located the pads, but would like to get some advice before proceeding. I can upload pics etc if need be, and would greatly appreciate any help on making the changes.

Thanks in advance,

-SP

PACNWDude

My manuals do not show the FTH-7005 or the 2006.

I looked in an old radio modification book and it showed a couple of models similar to yours.

The first one is the FT-73R. It shows the pot adjustments for this radio as: "TC101 HIGH POWER ADJUST, TC401 as FREQ. ADJ, VR501 LOW POWER ADJUST, VR104 MOD. ADJ., VR103 S-meter Adjustment".

The next one is FT-23R, this one shows solder pads that might help. Pad #3&4 Step selection 20 or 25 kHz 3&4 un-soldered= 10 kHz step.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is your exact question? It looks like the directions lay it out pretty well.

As for the soldering, you need to be really careful. You will need to have a very fine tip on your iron, and it helps if it is a low wattage soldering iron. Too much heat can start lifting the traces off the circuit board, and this will ruin the radio.
Use low heat for short periods.
Be very sparing with the solder. You only need a little. Too much will make a mess and can be hard to clean up.
It's a good idea to practice this a few times before you do it on the actual radio. Find an old circuit board and work on your technique.
Go into this knowing there are risk when you open up a radio and take a soldering iron to it. Down side is you could damage something. Upside is that if it works, you'll have satisfaction of knowing you made it work.

SplitPhoton

My goal is to get 12.5khz steps, mine is set to .025. I would like to add a small toggle to go from the .25 over to 12.5.

The soldering I can handle, my concern is that I cannot find info on my specific model. In the PDF I linked that radio looks the same except my fth-7005 has 4 exposed buttons on the front, but with the small cover off has the exact same keys and functions. It cites that pad #4 is responsible for switching the step freq...

"In fact, programming this rig is exactly like the well-known FT-23R except for some functions
Some other adjustments are inside the box (solder pads) (Do it at your own risks!)
Default setup is:
Solder pads
1 open
2 shorted
3 open
4 shorted
5 shorted
6 open
7 open
8 open
9 open
10 shorted
Frequency step is solder pad #4: open = 5 KHz step, shorted = 12.5 KHz step.
(May needs replacing some components)

Again, looking at the FTH-2006 it looks and seems to be the same with a few differences, but this could be completely off lol. I found the service manual for the fTH-2006 if this helps any,

http://www.foxtango.kc9foz.com/Commercial/FTH-2006 Service.pdf

I guess the big question is, is there any risk to the radio by removing or adding a 0ohm jumper on pad #4? Or is there a safer approach to avoid burning something up?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I doubt you'd burn anything up by soldering across a jumper, that's why they are there. If it were me, I'd give it a try and see what happens.

One thing you can do, sometimes, is look for ID numbers on the circuit boards. Sometimes you can match those to the schematics in the service manual. Could be, as you suspect, that the same circuit board is used in different models.

SplitPhoton

Appreciate it... The reason I worried is because I read somewhere that diodes are used to bridge the jumpers but cant remember if the article was related to YAESU or just a forum post lol I went through so many forum posts just to find a few snippets as it is.

I will have to work up the nerve and try it. I will keep an eye on this thread in the meantime in hops another member has this same radio and has already tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.