New with the Grundig Satellit-750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there!

I am new to this site and relatively new to shortwave. I used to listen on an old handheld my dad had, but recently upgraded to a Grundig Satellit-750. I've tried using it before but have had a hard time picking up frequencies on SW, LW, and SSB (FM and AM are no problem at all). I am living in Utah Valley and am wondering if maybe it is a location thing. Anyone have problems there? I'm also thinking it might be interference issues. I have it sitting on my window sill, using the outlet right next to it. Any thoughts, tips or tid bits of information I should be aware of given my circumstance would be appreciated. So excited to start listening!

M

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hi, welcome to RadioReference. The 750 is a nice radio, what kind of antenna are you using right now? Maybe you need a better antenna? One that is outdoors.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hello there!

I am new to this site and relatively new to shortwave. I used to listen on an old handheld my dad had, but recently upgraded to a Grundig Satellit-750. I've tried using it before but have had a hard time picking up frequencies on SW, LW, and SSB (FM and AM are no problem at all). I am living in Utah Valley and am wondering if maybe it is a location thing. Anyone have problems there? I'm also thinking it might be interference issues. I have it sitting on my window sill, using the outlet right next to it. Any thoughts, tips or tid bits of information I should be aware of given my circumstance would be appreciated. So excited to start listening!

M

Most everything I've read about this radio here on RR suggests is to not use the adapter. But to run on batteries alone. Cuts out on the noise. You'll need some kind of external antenna to receive SW, LW, and sideband. Do a search here on RR for more answers.
HTH,
Larry

nanZor

I have it sitting on my window sill, using the outlet right next to it. Any thoughts, tips or tid bits of information I should be aware of given my circumstance would be appreciated. So excited to start listening!

Some right out of box tips:
1) Make sure you have it switched to the INT internal antenna if using the supplied whip.

2) Check to see that attenuation is off by pressing ANT ATT button a few times to cycle through the levels of attenuation.

3) Make sure that the SQUELCH knob is fully counterclockwise.

4) When listening to USB or LSB signals, the BFO knob should stay near the 11 to 1 oclock position, otherwise retune with the vfo.

Not in the manual - to turn off the beep, press and hold the 0 ZERO key to toggle the beep on and off. Quite handy when sweeping past the pre-designated bandspreads and the beep gets annoying.

There is no accounting for the quality of the power-supply, many of which are switch-mode these days and can be noisy. The 750 runs great on just batteries.

If it is safe to do so, even with just the whip, you may want to run at least a small 8 foot or so "radial" wire down the wall to the baseboards connected to the black side of the "500 ohm" antenna jack, even though you don't have to actually switch to external to make use of this radial / counterpoise.

The 750 has quite a following and I think you'll be pleased. Note that this receiver may need quite a bit of attenuation to handle medium to strong ssb signals, so don't be surprised if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! So informative, thanks guys! I do wonder though, I live in an apartment building and will be moving around, I'm currently using the internal antenna but can acquire an external one..But since I will be moving around (and am on the 3rd floor!) is there an antenna that is pretty easy to take down and put up quickly and at this height?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I never noticed any noise increment when using the wall wart myself. Much more important was getting the antenna outside the noisy RF environment of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.