WS1095: New with WS-1095 to Whistler - Firmware, etc. TRX-2 much better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

First Whistler in years...
Sorry been with the other brand with their latest SDS. But always liked Whistler / GRE / Radio Shack stuff too.

Got a deal on here on a used WS-1095 I expect to use in my car.
I am on Simulcast P25 Phase 1 and expect issues with this unit from reading. (understand won't be clear like my SDS units) - ok with that.
The WS-1095/98 and TRX-2 just mount better in cars with limited mounting.

QUESTIONS:
====================
1. Is there a list of the firmware (past) and current and the updates or fixes or features added with each somewhere (a listing)?
2. Jumping to TRX-2 if I like the WS-1095 what will that get me? Keyboard / NXDN anything else? Is it much better of a unit? Better on Simulcast?
3. Going from Sentinel to EZ-Scan may be a challenge...any suggested youtubes or programming of say a P25 system?

Thanks All...excited to play with this radio and can see myself upgrading to TRX-2 if it makes sense.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
1. Did you look here? Doesn't address firmware but maybe the links will help. WS1095 - The RadioReference Wiki

2. It is an upgrade and continues to have newer firmware and updates.

3. Simple explanation on using EZ Scan for importing trunked systems I put together. Obviously, you'll substitute the State/County/System you want instead of what is in the PDF but it is done the same way. Though a different program the TRX version of EZ Scan is very similar to your EZ Scan and this will work for both.

Attachments

• USING EZ SCAN TO IMPORT TRUNKED SYSTEMS.pdf
    731.9 KB · Views: 20

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I prefer the GRE-made models first, then the models Whistler merely changed the model numbers of (such as WS1095). There are limits of course, such as NXDN and/or P25 Phase II. But if my choices are TRX-1/TRX-2 and some other model; I would avoid the TRX and EZ Scan. There are a lot of issues and limitations.

A few months ago I posted a review where I compared a TRX-1 to PSR-500 & BCD996P2. Since then Whistler has updated EZ Scan with many of the things I complained about, but it still lacks. EZ Scan was originally designed to import the RR DB and use that. I have a lot of radios and I have a specific way I like them to be programmed (such as sorting TGs in order by agency/function not TG ID value). EZ Scan and the TRX radios restrict that.

Where possible I use Don Starr's WINxxx programs to program the radios, but some people are having trouble buying keys now. They don't restrict cut & paste (from Windows clipboard) or from a file. EZ Scan does. What will really get you depends on the exact systems/channels you want to monitor.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
STAY AWAY from the TRX series for LSM systems, they have a known issue where they are slightly off frequency and cannot properly receive LSM. I own one of these useless TRX2's, that cannot, under any ciircumstances, receive 700 or 800 LSM trunking without being completely garbled. All my old WS series receive these ssystems 100% loud and clear. Now, not every TRX will have this issue, but it is an issue you would not have to even worrry about with a WS. If you buy a TRX and it misbehaves, just make sure whoever you buy it from would be willin gto accept returns if the unit doesnt receive properly, because it sounds like it can be sent back to Whistler to be "retuned" and aligned at cost to the owner.

The issue.

Me comparing my TRX with "the issue" vs my old WS1098

Status
Not open for further replies.