New Wouxon KG-UV6D Antenna Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogan

Got the new 6D It has the Male SMA on it was looking for better reception and transmit has any body expiremented with new replacement ant like Comet and Diamond. and should I get an adapter and to go with an antenna of a different mount like BNC so I can remove the ant. And switch to an external mag mount eaisly.
Thanks for your help.

grogan

Has anyone tried any replacement antennas on the wouxon radios with great results? I think the radio would be much better with a improved reception

LtDoc

The 'best' improvement you can make on the Wouxun's 'duck' antenna is adding a 'tail' to it, something like 19 inches of wire as the 'counterpoise'. That's probably the easiest 'cheap-n-dirty' improvement. From there it's a matter of antenna length, more of it, and naturally more inconvenient for a carry around radio. Almost anything is going to be an improvement on the typical 'rubberduck' antenna. As long as it's a 'rubberduck', it doesn't really matter who makes it, it's not ever going to be the 'best' of anything except convenient. If you can connect to an external antenna, fixed or mobile (not walking around) then there will definitely be a noticeable difference! Until you can use a for real 'full sized' antenna, don't expect any great improvement over the supplied antenna. Wish it weren't so, but if wishes were fishes...
- 'Doc

LtDoc

I just noticed that the antenna on the 'UV6D' is different than the ones on the earlier HTs. No idea if it's just a cosmetic difference or if there's something on the 'inside' that's different. Also, there's something like a 1/4 inch difference in length (the '6' is very slightly larger over all too). Cosmetic? No idea. I can say that the "6" seems to do slightly better than the "2" that I have. I'm sure part of that is that the '6' is new, the '2' isn't. Probably something to do with the battery charge too.
Oh well...
- 'Doc

N5TWB

I bought a Comet 19" SMA for my UV-2D and found it does help, especially at home due to living in a valley with a limited line of sight to many repeaters.

grogan

What type of conector is on my antenna. Here is a pic of the inside of the stock antenna for my Woxun KG-UV6D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,138

Toad_77

I'm a strong believer in the Comet HT-224. It is a great 2M/440 antenna as well as a wide band receive antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.