• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Wouxun KG-UV8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Update: Received the replacement radio today and it had 2.5KHz frequency steps but only went to 480MHz and not 520. Downloaded some free software from Wouxun and now the radio operates from 400 to 520MHz continuous with good specs across the entire band.

The cross band repeat also works very well in this radio where the previous unit would desense the receive freq when the transmitter lit up and the replacement radio does not seem to have the problem, or at least not to the same annoying extent.

After playing with the KG-UV8D for a few hours, I can say this is a really, I mean really nice radio. The receive audio is very good and gets really loud without distorting. The transmit audio is also very good. Its easy to program from the front panel, unlike some of its predecessors and the display is better than most.

I had a lot of Motorola, Yaesu, Icom, Harris, Racal/Thales and other handhelds and this one is a winner so far with its features and performance. An extra 2600mah battery was only $27 shipped, so its not an expensive radio to keep running. I'm happy happy.
prcguy

I bought a KG-UV8D, supposedly a 520MHz 2.5KHz unit and a 480MHz 5Khz unit showed up. I had to return the radio but in the short time I had it I found it to have excellent transmit and receive audio, it was very sensitive and the Wouxun programming software loaded quickly and worked perfectly.

I was a little disappointing with the cross band repeat, which is my main reason for buying. The repeated audio is very good but it appears the internal diplexer may not have enough isolation or the transmitter is a bit too noisy. On weaker signals where you can hear just fine in normal mode, the same signal in repeat mode causes the repeat function to cycle over and over due to the transmitter interfering with the weak received signal. On stronger signals it works really well.

Can't wait for its 520MHz 2.5KHz replacement to arrive next week.
prcguy

ScottKarlins

Interested to know if you are having the squelch issue with over modulated reception getting clipped, like some others are with v1.02 and v1.03

Thanks!

prcguy

I've been using the crap out of it on 2m/440 amateur and some commercial freqs with no problems. Some local amateurs are probably a bit wide on their transmit deviation and I have not had any distortion or squelch problems.

Using it as an extender in repeat mode in the amateur bands works very well with excellent repeat audio. If the reception is a bit weak while in the repeat mode it will defense slightly but nowhere near the older version I sent back and not enough to bother me. I'm really liking this radio.
prcguy

Interested to know if you are having the squelch issue with over modulated reception getting clipped, like some others are with v1.02 and v1.03

Thanks!

kovjanos

new fw and sw

Mine is v1.05 (20140816). It has 2.5k step feature, black AB & Exit keys but a slightly different menu.

There is a new KG-UV8D software released on the wouxun site: KG-UV8D B2.V1.03(140808)

R, KJ.

liability

Premium Subscriber
I bought one this week, from an eBay seller here in Australia.

It has version 1.05 firmware and the production date is 11 August 2014. Out of the box it had full TX/RX 134-174 and 400-519.

Interestingly it does not have the 2.5khz spacing, but it does have the green buttons.

I assume that they must make different versions for sale in different parts of the world? Other users have posted that the later versions, from 1.02 I think, have 2.5khz spacing, however mine with the 1.05 firmware doesn't.

rumbol

I got mine 2 days ago from UK eBay. V1.05, green buttons no 2.5kHz step. I did easy check. as I had 3 bars of signal while pressing monitor key. I disconnected antenna and chcecked the signal... there were still 3 bars without any signal being received. Could you check yours and advice if it is normal for those TRXs?
Thanks

liability

Premium Subscriber
I got mine 2 days ago from UK eBay. V1.05, green buttons no 2.5kHz step. I did easy check. as I had 3 bars of signal while pressing monitor key. I disconnected antenna and chcecked the signal... there were still 3 bars without any signal being received. Could you check yours and advice if it is normal for those TRXs?
Thanks

Just checked mine, V1.05, and it does the same. A lot of radios will do something similar.

It is nothing to be worried about.

kg4edy

Programming the KG-UV8D

Just purchased a brand new Wouxun KG-UV8D from Amazon. Chirp had trouble reading memory slots and kept inserting ERROR in about a dozen slots, despite manually entering the correct data.

Finally found KG-UV8D Commander and susscessfully used that to load 238 memory channels on Friday. Started to enter additional frequencies today (2m and 70cm amateur) and saved the file several times while entering approximately 100 more memories. Uploaded to radio and noticed the new stuff wasn't there. Opened the file and discovered all the new data I keyed in wasn't there. Tried several more times to enter the new data and save - the file doesn't update. Even tried overwriting old file and saving as a new name. No joy either way.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not since I used RT software. Prior, all the software would jumble up the frequencies. Gave up and downloaded RT and no problems since. Have had that problem with all the previous Wouxuns and will not go that route again. For $25 for RT is well worth it. The rest are much too aggravating. Period.

kcallis

It would seem that I actually have version 1.01. Am I able to upgrade (and if so, where can I find the latest firmware) or am I out of luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.