WS1065: New WS 1065 need help with programing.

Melody16

Hello, I recently got a Whistler WS 1065 for Christmas. I am having trouble programming the scanner. I am located in Indiana I would tune to Montgomery county, Boone county and Tippecanoe county. I would like to tune into Fire EMS and police. I am now a premium member of radio reference. I have downloaded the program radio shack usb drive that the website recommended, Went to install RDS 197 which included the 1065 software. It said this was a "timed Demo program." Do I need to purchase the program to be able to install to scanner or does the free trial suffice. I am confused on how to down the the frequency to the scanner from the program. I am using the provided cable that came with the machine. (USB scanner programming Cable) I put the frequency I wanted in the software and uploaded to scanner and nothing happened. The software is kind of confusing. I went in and manually put in a frequency under convectional for testing purpose, how would I know that I did it correctly. Thank you for your help It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
It looks like Boone and Montgomery county are both on the Hoosier SAFE-T system, and Tippecanoe county utilizes its own P25 trunk system. The only problem is that both Boone county and Tippecanoe county are on P25 simulcast, which your WS1065 will have difficulty receiving. You might be able to get better decoding with attenuation if you're far enough away from the system, or really close to a tower. As far as encryption goes, everybody seems to be mostly unencrypted with the occasional secure channel but that won't get in the way of everything else.

As for programming software, Win500 has given me a pretty easy time. I'm not sure of RDS197 but Win500 offers a full feature free trial for 30 days. Give it a try once, it helped me with my WS1040.

Melody16

It looks like Boone and Montgomery county are both on the Hoosier SAFE-T system, and Tippecanoe county utilizes its own P25 trunk system. The only problem is that both Boone county and Tippecanoe county are on P25 simulcast, which your WS1065 will have difficulty receiving. You might be able to get better decoding with attenuation if you're far enough away from the system, or really close to a tower. As far as encryption goes, everybody seems to be mostly unencrypted with the occasional secure channel but that won't get in the way of everything else.

As for programming software, Win500 has given me a pretty easy time. I'm not sure of RDS197 but Win500 offers a full feature free trial for 30 days. Give it a try once, it helped me with my WS1040.

Do you have any advice on programming? I haven't been able to find any helpful resources.

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
Hello, I recently got a Whistler WS 1065 for Christmas. I am having trouble programming the scanner. I am located in Indiana I would tune to Montgomery county, Boone county and Tippecanoe county. I would like to tune into Fire EMS and police. I am now a premium member of radio reference. I have downloaded the program radio shack usb drive that the website recommended, Went to install RDS 197 which included the 1065 software. It said this was a "timed Demo program." Do I need to purchase the program to be able to install to scanner or does the free trial suffice. I am confused on how to down the the frequency to the scanner from the program. I am using the provided cable that came with the machine. (USB scanner programming Cable) I put the frequency I wanted in the software and uploaded to scanner and nothing happened. The software is kind of confusing. I went in and manually put in a frequency under convectional for testing purpose, how would I know that I did it correctly. Thank you for your help It is greatly appreciated.
Psredit500 is what you wanna use with that scanner, easy to use!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is an ARC500 file for Boone, Montgomery, and Tippecanoe Counties. I use Butel ARC500 Basic to do my programming. Like PSREdit500, ARC500 also has a free trial period. If you go to the Import tab in PSREdit500, you can convert and use the ARC500 file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. You will see a file with a .gr5 extension. Open the extracted file with ARC500 or Import the extracted file wth PSREdit500. In ARC500, go to the Scanner tab and Upload to Scanner or in PSREdit500, go to the Radio tab and Upload to Radio. Scan lists as follows:
1. Boone Co
2. Montgomery Co
3. Tippecanoe Co

Attachments

• Boone_Mont_Tipp GR5.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 4

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
Here is an ARC500 file for Boone, Montgomery, and Tippecanoe Counties. I use Butel ARC500 Basic to do my programming. Like PSREdit500, ARC500 also has a free trial period. If you go to the Import tab in PSREdit500, you can convert and use the ARC500 file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. You will see a file with a .gr5 extension. Open the extracted file with ARC500 or Import the extracted file wth PSREdit500. In ARC500, go to the Scanner tab and Upload to Scanner or in PSREdit500, go to the Radio tab and Upload to Radio. Scan lists as follows:
1. Boone Co
2. Montgomery Co
3. Tippecanoe Co
His 1065 will not run on Simulcast, mine wouldnt run for crap on simulcast!

tvengr

Well Known Member
So I’m guessing that simulcast means they are transmitting on viper and also secondary on vhf highband
Simulcast means that a site actually consists of a number of subsites all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. That results in missed transmissions, dropouts, and garbled audio. Whether or not your scanner works will depend upon your location in relation to the towers. If you are close to one tower, the signal can override the interference from the out of phase signals from the other towers. You can try to minimize simulcast distortion by reducing the number of towers received. Sometimes moving the scanner around the room can make a difference. You can also try varying the length and orientation of the antenna and turning on the attenuator. When dealing with simulcast, less signal is better. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile.

fredva

Feed Provider
So I’m guessing that simulcast means they are transmitting on viper and also secondary on vhf highband
Well, that situation is also referred to as simulcast. But the simulcast that is being discussed here involves multiple transmitters on the same system, and actually using the same frequency, that cause many scanners to have problems with decoding the digital transmission.