New XTL5000 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

uman18

XTL5000

Nice set up! I'm a big fan of the commercial radios, they are not for everyone.

I've had a handful of glass mount antennas, they worked great for receiving but they always fell off the window from the outside.

fdscan

Wow... I'm very impressed! Amazing job.

I have a question... The switch panel above the Syntor control head, can that be bought as a stand-alone switchbox?

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes it can. it runs from left to right, offroad lights,emergency jump start, map light,compressor,radios,truck starting and a pump for my camping hot water tank mounted it the bed of the truck.

Wow... I'm very impressed! Amazing job.

I have a question... The switch panel above the Syntor control head, can that be bought as a stand-alone switchbox?

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Wow, looks great!

On a side note, the neighbors must really be scratching their heads when they look outside. :D

fdscan

Yes it can. it runs from left to right, offroad lights,emergency jump start, map light,compressor,radios,truck starting and a pump for my camping hot water tank mounted it the bed of the truck.

That's awesome... How is the wiring on it? I looked them up on eBay and it looks like a standalone switchbox, but the back has a plug for what looks like the radio chassis, nothing else...

uman18

Wildcard

Its correct name is Auxiliary switch box aka. Wildcard box, not DEK box. It will handle switching loads up to 1 amp. You wire it up to relays, and the relays to your lights, etc.

I think there is a few different part numbers for it, one being HLN1196.

fdscan

So basically you have to buy some sort of DB25 plug and then solder in individual wires?

OP, do you have a pic of the back of the wildcard box, maybe how you wired it?

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm learning little by little!!!

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes I do solder all my wires, less chance of stuff coming loose and not working. Pictures may take a while I will have to take the plug off the wildcard and open up the connector.

fdscan

Don't worry about pics if it's a pain to do.

If I understand correctly, you just need to find that DB25 plug and either solder or use pins or something on really thin gauge wire (CAT5?) accordingly with the pinout and run those back to relays?

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I used Belden 8444 cable I think it had 8 wires in the wire bundle. I would not use cat 5 unless maybe it is stranded, 18g would be fine going to the relays.

fdscan

Cool!

Thanks for the help, I was clueless at first but this all makes sense now.

I have another question regarding your actual setup - It was mentioned that these switchboxes had certain switches that were momentary, for the horns or manual siren or whatever. Did you bypass that on your box somehow? I just ask because there isn't anything labeled on your box that seems like it could be on a momentary.

parkerbs

Premium Subscriber
Stripped truck

Nice install!
It is so refreshing to see someone completely strip the interior to install equipment. I know we have all done it but 10,000 miles of power, head unit, and coax wire running around everything with the potential of being pinched is no good. currently my truck is in the process of a complete rewire for my radios and FD warning Equipment.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
That is correct, I did some switch replacement from another wild card I had. All my switches are latched either off or on. for my requirements. Nothing is momentary on that wild card.
Cool!

Thanks for the help, I was clueless at first but this all makes sense now.

I have another question regarding your actual setup - It was mentioned that these switchboxes had certain switches that were momentary, for the horns or manual siren or whatever. Did you bypass that on your box somehow? I just ask because there isn't anything labeled on your box that seems like it could be on a momentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.