Yaesu: New Yaesu FT-3DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

I also notice HRO has started to collect sales tax on orders even though you're ordering from a state, i.e. MD, where HRO doesn't have a presence.

prcguy

The VX-8 series uses a threaded 1/8" plug, which is fairly sturdy but doesn't come in a right angle version. I have an aftermarket speaker/mic on my FT2D and so far its ok with its right angle plug. It swivels when it needs to and it hasn't popped out yet.

Yup been that way since the VX-6(?) since they went away from the threaded 1/8” plug.

Very underwhelming. Too bad they did not do something like the VX231(and others) and used screws to retain the plug. It’s why I never ever bought a FT-60. Stupid speaker/mic plug design.

Problem is Yaesu doesn’t listen very well. Their APRS implementation in previous radios sucked.

Finally. More than 6 characters!!!

It still is an underwhelming radio from looking at the flyer on the Yaesu site.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yup been that way since the VX-6(?) since they went away from the threaded 1/8” plug.
Yaesu(Vertex) has been using the single-pin 4-conductor speaker/mic connector at least since the FT-10/FT-50(VX-10). The FT-50 was released in 1996. A common issue with these radios was that the plating on the jack terminals would wear through because the single-pin plug is constantly rotating slightly in the side-mounted jack as the user walks or moves. The result would be scratchy audio that could only be fixed by replacing the jack.

Problem is Yaesu doesn’t listen very well. Their APRS implementation in previous radios sucked.
I have a distinct memory of me standing in the Kenwood booth at the Dayton Hamvention about a year before Yaesu released their first APRS radio. I observed a Yaesu representative come up to Bob Bruninga WB4APR on the periphery of the Kenwood booth. The two of them walked away as they talked. I was hopeful then that Yaesu would listen to "Mr. APRS" and develop a real competitor to Kenwood's APRS radios. It's not that Yaesu's APRS implementation sucks. It just lacks the flexibility to use their radios with external APRS user interfaces that Kenwoods have.

It still is an underwhelming radio from looking at the flyer on the Yaesu site.
The FT-3 strikes me as an FT-2 with a color display in an even smaller form factor with reportedly lousy audio from the internal speaker. Have you seen the online comments from folks who say that flipping open the rubber jack cover on the side of the radio improves the audio? Now, that's a good design. Folks online keep asking for a firmware update to improve the audio. Uh, folks, you can't fix a poor hardware design with software.

The VX-8 series uses a threaded 1/8" plug...
Maybe the original VX-8 and the VX-8D, but the VX-8G, which is a completely different radio, does not use the threaded plug.

prcguy

I had a VX7 that was sealed and fairly water tight and when the radio heated up the internal speaker would be pushed outward touching the speaker frame and distort the audio. You had to burp the radio by pulling open a rubber jack to equalize air pressure every once and awhile.

Maybe the FT3 has the same problem? I would rather have a sealed water proof radio and burping it to release pressure is not a big deal for me.

The FT-3 strikes me as an FT-2 with a color display in an even smaller form factor with reportedly lousy audio from the internal speaker. Have you seen the online comments from folks who say that flipping open the rubber jack cover on the side of the radio improves the audio? Now, that's a good design. Folks online keep asking for a firmware update to improve the audio. Uh, folks, you can't fix a poor hardware design with software.

/QUOTE]

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I guess if I had a problem with the microphone plug staying connected or wearing out, I would just slip on a rubber band to hold the mic cable to the radio. Actually, I have some Velcro strips so I could probably use that. As an amateur, I can do stuff like that. Of course, one could use the new Bluetooth option with that radio to handle the microphone and speaker audio. Using the BT speaker mic with my Moto 7000xe is definitely better than the screw on mic.

As for the audio from the speaker, I have read one review from one person about that.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don’t understand why hams accept the low quality audio accessories that Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu insist on offering with their ham gear.

The few exceptions that can be made:

The speaker/mic plug on:

-VX-170 and other radios that utilize this plug, the speakermics still sucked though. Never used the water proof one. Cable was typical this low quality ham stuff.

-VX-8DR the plug and cable were of decent quality. Audio was not terrible either.

-IC-92AD audio output was typical Icom garbage, but the speaker/mic’s were LMR quality.

-Kenwood. At least you can use Kenwood LMR 2 pin speakermics. Would be be nice to be able to use the Kenwood multipin LMR mic’s though. Much higher quality.

The crappy single 1/8” plug Yaesu insists on using on their ham gear is bubble pack quality way to attach audio accessories to expensive radios. It’s ultimately why I went from a VX150 to a VX170 and eventually onto LMR gear.

prcguy

It all boils down to how much $$ are you willing to spend. Even with the new Yaesu FT3DRs fairly high price, its cheap compared to main line LMR gear. I buy a lot of hamster radios and for the most part you get a lot of stuff for your money, with varying degrees of performance of course. Maybe ham radios not the absolute best stuff but in the case of my Yaesu Fusion repeater, where else can you buy a dual band repeater with keyboard frequency entry plus analog FM and a digital mode for $700 new? Not in the LMR world.

I would love to gear up with some newer multiband Motorola P25 hand helds for my Quantar repeater, but the cost of the used radios plus the software hassles and cost just puts me off. I did that in the past with Sabers and Spectras, but its a whole lifestyle thing you have to sign up for with secret software friends and model/version experts and such, just to play with modern Motorola radios.

For now I'll probably get an FT3DR to play with and maybe this Friday if they are in stock at my local HRO. Not sure what to do with my newish FT2DR and it might joint all the other radios rotting in a drawer here.

I don’t understand why hams accept the low quality audio accessories that Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu insist on offering with their ham gear.

The few exceptions that can be made:

The speaker/mic plug on:

-VX-170 and other radios that utilize this plug, the speakermics still sucked though. Never used the water proof one. Cable was typical this low quality ham stuff.

-VX-8DR the plug and cable were of decent quality. Audio was not terrible either.

-IC-92AD audio output was typical Icom garbage, but the speaker/mic’s were LMR quality.

-Kenwood. At least you can use Kenwood LMR 2 pin speakermics. Would be be nice to be able to use the Kenwood multipin LMR mic’s though. Much higher quality.

The crappy single 1/8” plug Yaesu insists on using on their ham gear is bubble pack quality way to attach audio accessories to expensive radios. It’s ultimately why I went from a VX150 to a VX170 and eventually onto LMR gear.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It all boils down to how much $$ are you willing to spend.
Indeed, compromise and or preference are interesting things...vive la différence.

Not sure what to do with my newish FT2DR and it might joint all the other radios rotting in a drawer here.
Just use it as a node at another QTH or while traveling and keep your FT3DR in hand. Think of it as better than a BT speaker mic solution. I was going to sell my FT1XDR, but for me it works better as that kind of solution. Even using it at home, my FTM-400 can remain on handling/scanning local RF instead of tying it up with Wires-X traffic whether a node or direct.

Come on man...you know you need more noise pollution in your ear. ;)

prcguy

I need to do some research on Internet connections to the DR-2X repeater and also upgrade the FT2DR with the new node stuff. It would be interesting to be able to connect to the repeater when out of town with the FT2DR or FT3DR in node mode.

Indeed, compromise and or preference are interesting things...vive la différence.

Just use it as a node at another QTH or while traveling and keep your FT3DR in hand. Think of it as better than a BT speaker mic solution. I was going to sell my FT1XDR, but for me it works better as that kind of solution. Even using it at home, my FTM-400 can remain on handling/scanning local RF instead of tying it up with Wires-X traffic whether a node or direct.

Come on man...you know you need more noise pollution in your ear. ;)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It is worth it. You will enjoy those radios and repeater even more whether direct or node mode, or even other Wires-X repeaters/rooms.

I setup a hotspot in my vehicle and use a tablet PC to handle the Wires-X software. A USB cable then makes the connection to either my mobile or handheld, depend on the testing. With say the mobile connected via the Internet/Wires-X, I was able to test my handheld coverage without the usual RF desense as the radio was in direct mode.

Back on topic...Anyways, I hope those dealers remain out of stock on the FT3DR or I may not be able to wait until the year end coupon. Still, I would probably have to mail it in, so forget that.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Anyways, I hope those dealers remain out of stock on the FT3DR or I may not be able to wait until the year end coupon. Still, I would probably have to mail it in, so forget that.
Black Friday, After Christmas, Orlando Hamcation, Dayton Hamvention. There will be plenty of opportunities in the next 2-9 months to get one at something less than the "early adopter" price.

bautista55

Looks pretty cool. I have the FT2DR and the screen is really bad...much like Icom radios I've had such as the ID-51A Plus 2 that I sold to buy the Kenwood TH-D74A. TFT screens are great and low contrast, greyish, washed out white-ish displays are so 2005.
Between the FT-2DR and the Kenwood TH-D74A, which radio do you prefer. There is also the new FT-3DR. I'm studying for my license and about to buy my first radio. I want to do it right first time.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I thought I was weird to have both the TH-74A and FT-2DR until I met another ham carrying both. It was basically to cover both D-Star and YSF.

The Yaesu HTs tend to have better receive sensitivity. I like the display on the TH-74A better, plus the Kenwood has 12KHz Audio out and a program to remote tune. I actually hooked the Kenwood up to a HF loop antenna and decoded DRM using the 12 KHz Audio out.

The radio I use depends on what I am going to do. If you want to use D-Star then get the Kenwood. If you want to use YSF then get the Yaesu.

73 Eric

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Between the FT-2DR and the Kenwood TH-D74A, which radio do you prefer. There is also the new FT-3DR. I'm studying for my license and about to buy my first radio. I want to do it right first time.
I have an FT2DR and Kenwood D74A. I like them booth and I plan to purchase a FT3DR. By my needs are different from yours of course, so...

1. Do you have any fusion repeaters near you? Even if you do not, you could still use the radio and a computer to get onto Wires-X or use a hotspot and get into other rooms where people are using DMR, P25 or whatever.

2. My problem with the FT2DR is not the screen, but the lack of alpha numeric information when displaying both sides. I would purchase the FT3DR at full price all day long over the FT2DR because of that and the additional features the FT3DR has such as Bluetooth, recording, etc.

3. I really like the tri-band D74A, but again, do you have any repeaters near you that are 220 MHz? I use that radio mostly for satellite work as it can record directly to a microSD card. I have a D72A and still use the D74A over it. (I also like that it can handle SSB for listening.)

4. Do you have any D-Star repeaters near you? The D74A handles that fine.

Ultimately, a bit of research on what repeaters are available in your area and how and where you plan to use the radio is something for you to consider. In fact, based on your needs, do you need any of these radios or a less expensive one? My first handheld was a Baofeng, but I quickly outgrew it and it was junk. Still, for the low cost it allowed me to communicate on the local repeaters and see how active, or inactive they were.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
FT3DR purchased - It should be here Tuesday, due to the holiday. I'll post a note after some testing.

Hello, RT Systems...it's me again.

Hit_Factor

I have both the TH-D74 and FT3DR. If I had to choose the Kenwood stays, lots of DStar in my area no Fusion.

If APRS was important to me the Kenwood wins again.

If audio quality was important to me the Kenwood absolutely wins.

We travel alot, so I run into Fusion on my travels. That's why I have it.

Had a FT2DR for a few months years ago. Horrible screen and kludges.

bautista55

Thank you for the input. There are around 31 D-star repeaters some were near me and 75 fusion based repeaters the same. So I guess is pretty much a matter of choice. Have a great holiday. I just think from what I read that the Kenwood can do so much more and as I grow in the Hobby, it will grow with me. Thoughts ?? Also, is the Kenwood a full duplex ? How about the FT-3 Yaesu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.