Yaesu: New Yaesu FT-60R owner and I have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

Greetings all,

I just bought a Yaesu FT-60R HT and I would like to know if I can plug a set of stereo headphones with a microphone using a standard 1/8" / 3.5mm four conductor connector into this radio in which to listen as well as talk on with this HT? The radio did not come with a earphone of any kind and it would be nice to know if my headphones would work before I purchase something else. Thanks.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A Yaesu CT-44 may do what you need, but you may need an additional adapter in order to get the mono output to both ears. A SSM-57A offers a PTT mic and only one earplug. As to whether your specific headset will work, only testing will answer that question.

graywoulf

A Yaesu CT-44 may do what you need, but you may need an additional adapter in order to get the mono output to both ears. A SSM-57A offers a PTT mic and only one earplug. As to whether your specific headset will work, only testing will answer that question.
I do believe that you are right about the CT-44 adapter. It's amazing how much they cost though. Thanks for the suggestion.

On another note, I cannot manually or with the software enter the frequency 151.4975 which is the local/county EMS frequency. Can you or someone explain that to me?

wrath

Thanks for that suggestion but that did not work either. When I enter the number 7 (151.4975), it shows up as a 5 each time instead. I tried other settings as well and got the same thing.
Some rigs are quirky about FPP, but will accept it, if you do it in the programming software entering the frequency directly ,if you have the software try that,you may be able to do it that way.i have a few radios that behave that way.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

k6cpo

I tried entering that frequency into my FT-60 and encountered the same problem you did. I then went into the RT Systems programming software for the FT-60 and it gave me this message when I tried to enter the frequency:

"The radio does not allow frequencies on 2KHz steps. Frequencies must be evenly divisible by 5000 or 125000. Example: 151.4975/5000 = 30299.500000."

My conclusion is that you can't do that.

W5GX

Greetings all,

I just bought a Yaesu FT-60R HT and I would like to know if I can plug a set of stereo headphones with a microphone using a standard 1/8" / 3.5mm four conductor connector into this radio in which to listen as well as talk on with this HT? The radio did not come with a earphone of any kind and it would be nice to know if my headphones would work before I purchase something else. Thanks.

There are two different formats for the four conductor plug - TRRS.

Understanding TRRS and Audio Jacks - Cable Chick Blog

I know from experience that the FT-60R uses the OMTP standard, but you may want to figure out if your headphone of choice follows - but I find that most personal devices use CTIA.

The speaker and mic impedances may not be a big issue, so you could try a OMTP-CTIA adapter.

graywoulf

There are two different formats for the four conductor plug - TRRS. Understanding TRRS and Audio Jacks - Cable Chick Blog I know from experience that the FT-60R uses the OMTP standard, but you may want to figure out if your headphone of choice follows - but I find that most personal devices use CTIA. The speaker and mic impedances may not be a big issue, so you could try a OMTP-CTIA adapter.
Thank you for the lesson on connector types and the link. This old dog learned something new today. I will look for one of those adapters. I would also like to be able to just use an external speaker once in a while also.

W5GX

I think that would work. I have some breakout plugs - I may build my own adapter just for kicks.

graywoulf

Bf
I think that would work. I have some breakout plugs - I may build my own adapter just for kicks.
Breakout plugs and breakout boards I have only heard of. I would be interested in learning more about them though. I also like to tinker with electronic projects. So you think that adapter on ebay would work?

graywoulf

Thank you very much for the links. I have to do some research on the connector type on my headphones but I like the second one for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.