Yaesu: new Yaesu FT-60R still made in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighanded

asking after the fact..so I may be disapointed here..but just bought a new FT-60r..it will arrive first of the week...I was planning on being proud of owning a top quality/top recommended HT...I know some of the newer radio models are assembled in China now...hoping I haven't messed up and paid too much $ for yet another cheap chinese crap radio......please make me feel better, or break my heart...thanks... Ed

FKimble

I bought one back in Jan. It was made in Japan. Don't confuse the battery "made in China" label with the radio label under the battery. Even if it is made in China, it is made to Yaesu specs, nor CCR specs. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. My old Yaesu FT250's are still running just as well as when new, over 10 years ago. They just have a few visual imperfections!

Frank

bighanded

thanks Frank...yeah I had heard that the battery was chinese.. I'm expecting to see that..but sure hoping to still get a japan made radio product itself....

btw:... recommend a good second battery for this unit..and yes, I'll get the AA box for it as well...I like the extended that I have for my Baofeng...gives me more to hang onto..and as my handle suggests.. I've got big ol monkey paws...so everything seems that much smaller to me.

k6cpo

asking after the fact..so I may be disapointed here..but just bought a new FT-60r..it will arrive first of the week...I was planning on being proud of owning a top quality/top recommended HT...I know some of the newer radio models are assembled in China now...hoping I haven't messed up and paid too much $ for yet another cheap chinese crap radio......please make me feel better, or break my heart...thanks... Ed

I have an FT-60R from six or seven years ago that carries the label "Made in China." It is absolutely identical to the ones made in Japan and has held up just as well.

Just because a product is labeled "Made in China" doesn't automatically make it junk. Own an iPhone or a pair of Beats headphones? Guess where they're made. I think there are some deeper seated prejudices at work here.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a Yaesu FT-4XR which is a brand-new model, made in China. I have no issues with it and it's transmitted signal meets the spurious emissions standards in 97.307.

bighanded

I have an FT-60R from six or seven years ago that carries the label "Made in China." It is absolutely identical to the ones made in Japan and has held up just as well.

Just because a product is labeled "Made in China" doesn't automatically make it junk. Own an iPhone or a pair of Beats headphones? Guess where they're made. I think there are some deeper seated prejudices at work here.

thanks for the input K6CPO...and yeah, I see arguments on both sides on all sorts of forums around the topic of CCRs. and as mentioned.. I do own the Baofeng F8Hp..and thus far it has appeared to be doing what it is built to do...my only question has been around reception...and I'm seeing enough conversation around the front end of these radios that I had talked myself into spending the money on a better quality HT. I own a small biz that serves the music concert industry so we deal with a ton of electronic gear..15 years of it now has taught me to be wary and expect to have my feelings hurt by China/Malaysian/Mexican build, when I've needed a piece of gear to be reliable. In fact, when we've had to purchase guitar amps for example..even though they might say "fender" on the logo, but are assembled south of the border...I don't let those rigs go on stage before they get placed on our bench and checked for spec, handsolder the usual crack points, etc (thin wave solder pool stuff).... so if there's a bias at my end..yeah.. I'll accept guilty as charged....but who knows.. I may find the Yaesu, wherever it is made, doesn't perform any better than my Baofeng..if not..ok..fine.. I've got 2 HTs that talk to each other and a local HAM world that is just out of range most of the time anyway....
but I do really really appreciate your and everone's feedback on this forum...just a great place to learn and grow.

bighanded

ok..my japanese made FT-60 arrived...nice to see it...solid feeling radio and looks to be what most forum guys brag about...save for one honorable mention...programming!!! I'm sure I'll get it memorized soon enough, but those who say these are easier to program than some of the CCRs...ummm...I guess just different.

I do like that I can at least assign alpha naming without having to plug into the laptop but I still have to refer to my cheat sheet just to remember the sequence..and I'm gonna need better reading glass before I'm done (grin)
anyway...new things to learn...always good to learn.

will have the next couple days of plenty of hurricane chatter in my area to provide a good test of the Yaesu side by side to the baofeng...and I realize that my local can make a difference..but hey, it's all about me anyway right (smile) so we'll see if one radio performs better around these parts...regardless of durability...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The programming on the FT series has been the same since my first FT-470 (1990).. Even the same brands of the CCR don't have any consistency from model to model. Yaesu is even the same on the mobile FT 90 radios, and one reason I still use them. I have a collection of over 50 radios and have yet to find a CCR that is better than a Yaesu or Icom.

bighanded

no doubt..it's just on me to get used to it...I imagine the lil FW key is gonna wear the lable off at some point (grin) but yeah..looks to be a solid radio..glad to have made the extra spend.

i got my FT60R over 10 years ago VERY VERY happy to own it also got the FT90R for the car 10 or more years ago LOVE both of them.

KE0GXN

A question was posed on a FB group I belong to and per the USA Yaesu sales representative that monitors said group...

"Some radios might be assembled in China but ALL come back through Japan for quality control and inspection prior to being sent out."

"Just to clarify not all of our radios are assembled through our China factory and parts are from Japan."

k6cpo

thanks for the input K6CPO...and yeah, I see arguments on both sides on all sorts of forums around the topic of CCRs. and as mentioned.. I do own the Baofeng F8Hp..and thus far it has appeared to be doing what it is built to do...my only question has been around reception...and I'm seeing enough conversation around the front end of these radios that I had talked myself into spending the money on a better quality HT. I own a small biz that serves the music concert industry so we deal with a ton of electronic gear..15 years of it now has taught me to be wary and expect to have my feelings hurt by China/Malaysian/Mexican build, when I've needed a piece of gear to be reliable. In fact, when we've had to purchase guitar amps for example..even though they might say "fender" on the logo, but are assembled south of the border...I don't let those rigs go on stage before they get placed on our bench and checked for spec, handsolder the usual crack points, etc (thin wave solder pool stuff).... so if there's a bias at my end..yeah.. I'll accept guilty as charged....but who knows.. I may find the Yaesu, wherever it is made, doesn't perform any better than my Baofeng..if not..ok..fine.. I've got 2 HTs that talk to each other and a local HAM world that is just out of range most of the time anyway....
but I do really really appreciate your and everone's feedback on this forum...just a great place to learn and grow.

My FT-60 is probably more durable than the single Baofeng UV-5RE I own. I was using it as a scanner on board an Amtrak train and I bashed it against something, cracking the window over the LCD screen. The radio still functions perfectly and I haven't bothered replacing the window. I'm not sure the UV-5RE would have survived the blow.

Hans13

and I bashed it against something, cracking the window over the LCD screen. The radio still functions perfectly and I haven't bothered replacing the window. I'm not sure the UV-5RE would have survived the blow.

The mighty Bull Frog's window wouldn't have broken to begin with. :p

Hans13

In my opinion it boils down to the company's quality control and consumer support not where the radio is manufactured.

Pretty much.

For example... I believe that Anytone's quality has been positively affected through their endeavors, at whatever level that might be, with Alinco. Likewise, I don't think Alinco's quality has suffered. However, Alinco's pricing on those models is really good; sometimes lower than Anytone's pricing.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Save your fingers and the radio keyboard by getting FT-60 Commander or Chirp. Both work well and are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.