NEW: Yaesu VX-8R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowthief

Vx-8r

Hello.

I am looking at this with excitement.
Bluetooth and APRS, as well as GPS?, all in a water resistant package!?
I am not sure about the extended frequency range, the VX-7R already does 100 kHz to 999.99+ mHz on receive, and, can do FM broadcast and Amateur at the same time, so, what is there to add?
Will I get one? what do you think?
I just hope that the AM/FM side is not like the VX-3R, an FM side that does nothing more, and does that poorly.
And, yes, a VX-9R, with P-25, sounds good to me.

trixwagen

Cowthief said:
Hello.

I just hope that the AM/FM side is not like the VX-3R, an FM side that does nothing more, and does that poorly.
I didn't think the VX-3R was that bad, considering the size, stock antenna, and whatnot.

va3css

trixwagen said:
I thought the Icom IC-92AD was the new king of the HT hill.
I'd rather my older IC-T81A than the 92AD. Quad bands, (6M - 2M - 70cm, all at 5W, and 1.2Ghz at 1W) right from the factory, and with a single, simple mod, FIVE bands (adds 222Mhz at 1W).

Who else makes a five band HT?

That said, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my VX-7R. Even got the optional (at the time) Barometer chip in it. Now I see the 8R includes that, plus Bluetooth.

Got an 8R in my future... ;)

woodardg

what gps will work

Cowthief said:
Hello.

I am looking at this with excitement.
Bluetooth and APRS, as well as GPS?, all in a water resistant package!?
I am not sure about the extended frequency range, the VX-7R already does 100 kHz to 999.99+ mHz on receive, and, can do FM broadcast and Amateur at the same time, so, what is there to add?
Will I get one? what do you think?
And, yes, a VX-9R, with P-25, sounds good to me.

what gps's will work with vx-8r???

XTS3000

The GPS will work via bluetooth. I overheard the Yaesu guy mention this to another hammy.

I just do not believe the VX-8R is a huge jump from the VX-7R, and wish the 8R had a color screeen.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im not impressed!

"Dump the Bluetoof and give me full power on 220, then I might be impressed... AEMTKieran"

Im with you on this one! They went through the trouble of creating a whole separate cirquitry for am/fm broadcast like anybody really cares, but can't make 220, 5 watts like the other bands! Go figure!

Manny

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Popping the battery out and back in to fix the audio problems was not a function of overheating. It was the fact that the thing was sealed so tight that the pressure would limit the deflection of the waterproof membrane that covered the mic and speaker. The vent was under the battery so removing it relieved the pressure.

Not to say that the all-metal case of the VX-7r didn't get hot after a lot of use. I didn't notice it as much though with the soft case on mine.

I just sold my VX-7r yesterday at the Breezeshooters hamfest near Butler, PA. I figured I better dump it now before the new model is released and the value drops any more. Now I need to keep myself from spending the money while waiting for the VX-8r to be released.

The APRS and bluetooth capability excites me. Increased power on 222MHz is nice, but there isn't really any activity around here for me to worry about it. I hope the expanded receive coverage will let us listen to the 902MHz band now, there was a gap in the VX-7r coverage where the 25MHz split machines had their outputs.

scanernutt said:
Getting back to the OP!
This new VX8R looks like its built for war like a tank! It certainly looks and sounds interesting enough. I am a bit concerned however with it being submersible. This means that they sealed it up tight like the VX7R. This may be a problem because the the VX7 had an overheating issue. Because no air could get in, none could get out as in heat. This tended to distort the audio after a little bit of use. I had 2 of them and both did that. I had friends who also experienced this in both older and newer versions. The fix was simple,pop out the battery and then pop it back in. But who wants to keep doing that? That ususaly did it! It was just a pain in the rear. Its suppossed to be thinner than the VX7R? HMMM! I cant wait to see one!

Manny

stickair

Scanernutt, I read ur post about the Yaesu VX-8R, 'n also 'ur comment about the D-STAR. 'U're very wrong. coz this comment, I think 'u don't know nothing about D-STAR 'n digital systems, it's not?

D-STAR's a digital system (universal protocol) started by Icom. This brand have a lot of features in his amateur equipment coz Icom's not created to make HAM radio equipment, so to make militar 'n professional radio equipment.
Yaesu's more of amateur 'n not as much of professional. I think the function that's left on Yaesu amateur equipment's Wires. Yaesu may take D-STAR.
But the D-STAR's not a ****. We have a lot of **** without keepin' the squelch, by the analogic system. Usin' digital modulation all that ****'s ignored coz the atmosferic sounds are analog. If the station doesn't copy sinus forms, it doesn't copy the left sound.

If 'u don't understand me, don't warry, I have a link that explains all of this.
Please, if 'u have some troubles to understand my english, say't to me.

Thanks 'n see 'u.

Last edited by a moderator:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Stickair!
I dont know what your point is/was regarding the Dstar comment I made but here is the bottom line. I dont need it. Icom made the new IC92 without any choice of wether you want Dstar or not. I dont know about you, but $579.99 for a portable radio is ridiculous. With the IC-91A you pay $299 for the radio and $399 for adding Dstar if you want it. Thats fair. Choice. I am willing to bet that the IC91 will soon disappear and all you will have left is the 92 with that outrageous price.

Manny

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
stickair said:
Scanernutt, I read ur post about the Yaesu VX-8R, 'n also 'ur comment about the D-STAR. 'U're very wrong. coz this comment, I think 'u don't know nothing about D-STAR 'n digital systems, it's not?

D-STAR's a digital system (universal protocol) started by Icom. This brand have a lot of features in his amateur equipment coz Icom's not created to make HAM radio equipment, so to make militar 'n professional radio equipment.
Yaesu's more of amateur 'n not as much of professional. I think the function that's left on Yaesu amateur equipment's Wires. Yaesu may take D-STAR.
But the D-STAR's not a ****. We have a lot of **** without keepin' the squelch, by the analogic system. Usin' digital modulation all that ****'s ignored coz the atmosferic sounds are analog. If the station doesn't copy sinus forms, it doesn't copy the left sound.

If 'u don't understand me, don't warry, I have a link that explains all of this.
Please, if 'u have some troubles to understand my english, say't to me.

Thanks 'n see 'u.
As you can see I edited your language. I realize that English is not your native language; however, why is it you think that adding vulgar language helps your point.

In regard to your actual information, it is wrong on many points. First, ICOM did not develop D-STAR, the Japan Amateur Radio League (JARL) did. ICOM is the (as far as I know) the only manufacturer to make D-STAR equipment. ICOM is much more of a amateur radio manufacturer than Yaesu. Yaesu, under its Vertex brand is all professional radio equipment. As for the D-STAR protocol, it has many benefits; however, it (as implemented by ICOM) has a major drawback, repeaters cannot operate in analog mode. So there can be no mixed mode communication on a repeater using D-STAR (unlike P25 repeaters); this problem alone is a reason why the entire protocol should be avoided IMHO.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
loumaag said:
ICOM is the (as far as I know) the only manufacturer to make D-STAR equipment.
This may be OT, but since we're talking about Yaesu and D-STAR:

I attended the Yaesu open house earlier this year at AES Cleveland. I asked a Yaesu VP there about D-STAR, and he made it very clear that Yaesu will NOT enter the D-STAR market. FWIW.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
eorange said:
This may be OT, but since we're talking about Yaesu and D-STAR:

I attended the Yaesu open house earlier this year at AES Cleveland. I asked a Yaesu VP there about D-STAR, and he made it very clear that Yaesu will NOT enter the D-STAR market. FWIW.
Good for them! Now if we could just convince the ham community in the US to quit buying it, it would go away here.

stickair

scanernutt said:
Stickair!
I dont know what your point is/was regarding the Dstar comment I made but here is the bottom line. I dont need it. Icom made the new IC92 without any choice of wether you want Dstar or not. I dont know about you, but $579.99 for a portable radio is ridiculous. With the IC-91A you pay $299 for the radio and $399 for adding Dstar if you want it. Thats fair. Choice. I am willing to bet that the IC91 will soon disappear and all you will have left is the 92 with that outrageous price.

Manny
Scannernutt, 'u say 'u don't need it. But, 'u know how much km, or mi would 'u lenghtend with the digital.

I wirte u then.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Loumagg!
Thanks for bringing up that point. I forgot that you cannot mix analog/digital with Dstar. I wonder what is going to happen when nobody else but Icom makes radios for Dstar. Good for Yaesu. The other thing, isnt the same true for Dstar as it is for APCO25 digital in the sense of range limitations? IE...Your useable range/distance is limited because its a digital format?

Manny

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scanernutt said:
...The other thing, isnt the same true for Dstar as it is for APCO25 digital in the sense of range limitations? IE...Your useable range/distance is limited because its a digital format?
Digital is digital. Usable range/distance would be the same based on same location, power, ERP, etc.

The reason D-STAR is popular elsewhere (like where stickair is (yes I know where he is)) is that APCO-25 is only widely used here in the Americas; hence, surplus equipment is more available here then elsewhere. P25 is a viable (I think superior) alternative to the protocol of D-STAR.

stickair

scannernutt, loumagg has the reason, D-STAR can't mix digital 'n analog. But I don't wanna mean this. I wanna say that the Icom IC-E92 HAVE mixed digital 'n analog, but it doesn't mean that 'u can transmit by analog 'n digital together, at the same time. It means that if 'u want, 'u can transmit by analog, 'n if 'u want, 'u can switch to digital, the D-STAR.
I think that P-25 (I don't know a lot bout P25), but I think that it has to be for professional, 'n D-STAR for amateur. I'm not seein' the P25 to say this, but I know some things about D-STAR, coz I know Antonio - EA3CNO, that he works with d-star 'n digital systems. I know the protocols the Dstar uses 'n how does it do to communicate by the digital way.

Also, EA3CNO, loumagg, put an Icom UT-118 (Dstar unit) in a Yaesu FT-897 'n some other Yaesu 'n Kenwood equipment 'n it really goes!! We have a repeater that uses Dstar mounted on El Montseny, a mountain very high, 'n though anybody uses it, this repeater's there to do make tests with UHF over Dstar system.
Loumagg, now 'u can't say the Dstar's only for Icom. I thought it, but I was thinkin' with the possibility to integer the UT-118 into a Yaesu.
I'll buy a Yaesu VX-8R, 'n I'll put it in the Icom UT-118.

The new digital age's here!

Greetings,
Stickair.

Status
Not open for further replies.