New Year's Eve monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Just a reminder that December 31 is a great time to listen to international/regional shortwave broadcasters. It starts at Midnight in the western Pacific at the dateline, and you can follow each hour west across the continents. Don't forget about the few countries that offset time by 30 minutes. One source might be Kim Andrew Elliott reporting on International Broadcasting, another the #swl IRC channel. If you don't have a radio/antenna that makes the grade in the 49-120m range, look for audio streams on the 'net (a good source for domains and schedules is the World Radio TV Handbook).

It's a lot of fun. At sunrise on the east coast I've heard the Midnight celebrations in Kiribati, the studio parties on South African broadcasters and much celebrating in Thailand. In the rollover of 1999 to 2000 (actually not the turn of the century, but celebrated as such), I watched the clock and events on KBS TV. Seoul put on quite a show; in my opinion it was much better than the highly touted Paris and New York events.

If you want to give this around the world celebration a try, do your homework ahead of time. See what regional broadcasters you can hear (or find) and make up a crib sheet.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And don't forget the pirates - they tend to be quite numerous on New Year's eve...to paraphrase a friend that both Tom and I know - if one were to know such things...best regards...Mike

SCPD

QRT
Thank you both for the heads up. Santa got me a Satellit 750. It's my first HF capable receiver :)

I ask for such things and received a Sangean ATS-505p. Its a lot better than coal.

I will Log frequencies I listen to on new years. Maybe we all can start a thread on it post-event?

w2xq

Mentor
And don't forget the pirates - they tend to be quite numerous on New Year's eve...to paraphrase a friend that both Tom and I know - if one were to know such things...best regards...Mike

Quite true Mike, but I don't do pirates. Didn't even cross my mind. <grin> Cheers...

SCPD

QRT

6925am was quite active last night with some groovy disco music - unusually strong into Seattle at +10db over S9.

Should bring some flashbacks for you old timers. :D

WAScanMan

I ask for such things and received a Sangean ATS-505p. Its a lot better than coal.

I will Log frequencies I listen to on new years. Maybe we all can start a thread on it post-event?

I will do some logging and would be more than happy to contribute to a post-New Years thread.

Welcome to HF, WAScanMan. :)

Thank you! :D I've gotta say it's both awesome and amazing at the same time.

tomhrrs69

just listened to Australia bring in the New Year on 9580khz....pretty awesome, they were broadcasting from the roof of the studio in Sydney, I could hear the fireworks going off in the backrgound while they were describing what was going on in the Sydney Harbor..

w2xq

Mentor
Over the years I gravitated to the regional broadcasters in the 60m. On the east coast, signals from Africa start appearing two or three hours before sunset; grayline at the skip reflection and the minimum daylight hours (minimum D-layer ionization during the day) here combine for interesting listening.

For future reference, Christmas Eve can offer opportunities to hear especially Latin American regional stations that stay on much later than normally scheduled. You'll hear Midnight church services as Christmas Day first comes to South America.

Status
Not open for further replies.