New York 800MHZ Statewide Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'm interested in this network that I saw a glimpse of the net somewhere. Anyone know anything about it? I suppose its like a statewide repeater network

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Check out WWW.NF2g.com
He has a explaination about the Statewide Wireless Network.
It has been discussed on various forums here. General consensus is that it is a waste of money! and most departments do not want to be part of it.

Happy reading

Dave

CqDx

Also check out the official NYS page, it also has some pretty good information there:

http://www.oft.state.ny.us/oft/swnindex.htm

Basiclly, metropolitan areas will be covered by Opensky system, while the rural areas (ie. Catskills, Adirondacks) will be covered via P25 in VHF. It shall be interesting to see how they will all play out.

D

DaveNF2G

There are interesting statements on the OFT website, but I wouldn't trust it as "good information." It seems many of the people who were responsible for getting the SWN bid out and contracted to M/A-Com have jumped ship and are now employed elsewhere.

Spec

One might be inclined to call it "Blind Justice" if in fact it is true. Amazing what happens in the puzzle palace.

D

DaveNF2G

More likely they are getting out of the way before the boom falls. People have short memories and will blame whoever is present in Albany at the time when something goes wrong, rather than those who set the wheels in motion.

fireresq2825

After reading the article from Tyco in that previous link, they sure have a funny way of defining a successfull coverage test. Perhaps they mean successfully providing coverage that pushed most agencies in the county to abandon it and continue on their own way?

unleashedff248

Massachusetts DBA
Database Admin
fireresq2825 said:
Perhaps they mean successfully providing coverage that pushed most agencies in the county to abandon it and continue on their own way?

Hahahaha...I love the letter that "assures" interoperability with current non-M/A COM trunking systems. Last time I checked, M/A Com radios couldn't do Smartnet and Smartzone trunking protocols. But oh well, maybe they mean setting up some goofy cross patch system that will cost even more money. And the radios being compatible with current conventional systems? Did they forget that the SWN is 800MHz and most of the state is NOT 800 MHz?

I'll never understand why they didn't go with Motorola. Their systems have been proven across the country, and not to mention most of the trunked systems in NY are Motorola or LTR (both supported by Motorola radios). I just look at the success of the Smartzone system in Massachusetts. It can be done.

All I know is that down in Westchester County, we jumped ship and built our own Motorola Smartzone system. And it's a darn good thing we did. I don't see how it's interop. if half the state can't talk on it with their current radios. :confused:

800crazy1

massachusetts , ...hahaha ...ask any state trooper in troop B about the coverage here ... (troop B) western ma. theyve had there own problems with coverage . then again , western ma is a different state from the rest of the state ... if we were Boston , the coverage problem wouldve been thrown a lot of money to get the problems fixed !

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
i have a strong feeling that this system is going to be a big GOOSE EGG!!!

im sure a few people got pretty rich building this humongo piece of crap system that most wont use.

SCANdal

Silent Key

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
if you read the RFP available on the OFT website, you'll see that the State structured the contract so that the State doesn't pay anything until the regions are accepted. So it's basically at M/A-Com's risk to meet the specs.

gcr33

Would that be like Penn. way over due and way over cost?

Ma-Comm Critical Communications, Tyco GE = Cant perform at any price or any time.

BTW what over subscriber units will work? Answer NONE.

For some reason NYS has always been a GE customer. The Thruway system was not.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
The NYS Thruway is in fact a M/A-Com customer and has a contract with M/A-Com. Almost all radios in the field for the NYSTA are now Orion UHF mobiles. Before that they were using GE MLS mobiles. I know there were some Motorola mobiles and portables in use in the field, but the entire system infrastructure is MastrIII repeaters.

On a personal note, I don't think people should look negatively on a company just because of a single product. M/A-Com does offer good equipment that isn't involved in OpenSky.

I guess what I'm saying is "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

Enough of my rant.

Kevin

gcr33

On one product. It's the flagship of their brand.

It's doesn't work and that is proven by PA. Tyco is looking to dump that division. They don't make money.

Nothing like standing on old technology as working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.