New York County is Manhattan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
To the Admins,

I've been meaning to mention for awhile, that for the New York City db, you have had New York County listed as a catch-all for New York City.
The fact is that New York County is Manhattan, one and the same.
There are five counties that make up New York City: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens and Richmond (Staten Island).
Being a New Yorker, I would love to see you change the DB to reflect that reality.

Thanks,
James R.
Queens NYC

michaelmikesj

I'm a New Yorker too and I have always known the to be called Buroughs. There are 5 Buroughs of New York. Brooklyn, Queens, Manhatten, Bronx and staten Island.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I promise you, we are all fully aware of the layout of the city as it relates to the boroughs/counties. Manhattan (New York County) is used as a catch-all because many of the frequencies are used citywide. It's much easier to manage a single county than it is to break everything down into its own borough. Otherwise you'd have duplicate listings in each of the five boroughs, which is contrary to RR policy.

That being said, I have proposed a change to NYC that Lindsay and Eric are currently reviewing. I won't go into detail publicly because if they aren't able to do it, or don't think it's a good idea, there's no reason to get everyone's hopes up. I'll leave it up to them if they wish to post about it here.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply.

To the poster that mentioned boroughs, yes indeed there are the five boroughs that make up the City of New York. As far as the state gov't is concerned (and RR, for that matter!), boroughs are irrelevant, they deal only with the county system (such as in the New York State Unified Court System).

Regards,
Jim R.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And the flip side of that is also true, no one in NYC cares about counties. I bet a good number of NY'ers think Richmond County is "somewhere upstate" lol! :twisted:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Totally true about the fact that most NY'ers are only familiar with the borough system, but again, certain entities that we deal with are oblivious to the borough system, such as the courts, NYS Unemployment, our voting system (state & federal) and most importantly of all; Radio Reference! ;)

Best,
Jim

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
And the flip side of that is also true, no one in NYC cares about counties. I bet a good number of NY'ers think Richmond County is "somewhere upstate" lol! :twisted:

On a side note, cops from Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx refer to the Staten Island cops as the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.. :lol:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Still on the side note: Why do they still ride horses? Staten Island has always been called the forgotten borough, they even tried recently to secede from New York City proper, but couldn't come up with the bucks to pay for all the infrastructure NYC as a whole put into the borough.

ibagli

It's actually in New York, in New York County. The water surrounding it is in New Jersey, but the natural parts of Liberty Island and Ellis Island (which includes all of Liberty Island, since it's never been expanded) are in New York.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
and not only that....the Statue of Liberty is in Jersey City so why isnt in RR data base to reflect that...

It's actually in New York, in New York County. The water surrounding it is in New Jersey, but the natural parts of Liberty Island and Ellis Island (which includes all of Liberty Island, since it's never been expanded) are in New York.

Indeed, Liberty Island is under the jurisdiction of NYC, as is the original portion of Ellis Island.

The inclusion of Liberty and Ellis islands in the NYC Federal section is correct...not that it really has anything to do with the topic of this thread anyway. :roll:

n2nov

Still on the side note: Why do they still ride horses? Staten Island has always been called the forgotten borough, they even tried recently to secede from New York City proper, but couldn't come up with the bucks to pay for all the infrastructure NYC as a whole put into the borough.

Actually not true. As one who voted twice for breaking away, the net money flows of taxes collected vs city services paid for, show that we would survive with a surplus. As the "cash cow" for NYC, it was the inactions of Assembly head Silver that did not allow it to come to an Assembly vote even after the State Senate and then Gov. Mario Cuomo allowed it to go through.

ampulman

I'm a New Yorker too and I have always known the to be called Buroughs. There are 5 Buroughs of New York. Brooklyn, Queens, Manhatten, Bronx and staten Island.

Right. When I was a kid (many, many years ago), I used to visit relatives in Flatbush (Bklyn). I seem to recall NYC (in total) referred to as Kings County.

Amp

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I seem to recall NYC (in total) referred to as Kings County.

Highly unlikely, unless you were hearing it from people who were historically or geographically challenged.

Kings, Queens, New York, Richmond and Westchester counties were all created in 1683 as part of the original 12 counties of New York Colony. Kings, New York and Richmond counties remain today as they were then...the boroughs of Brooklyn, Manhattan and Staten Island, respectively.

Of course Brooklyn was an independent city prior to annexation into NYC in 1898. That fact alone makes it highly unlikely that anyone would ever refer to the entirety of NYC as "Kings County".

In 1899 Nassau County was created from the remaining portion of Queens that did not become part of NYC, and in 1914 Bronx County was created from the portion of Westchester County that did not become part of NYC.

And that ends today's history lesson. :D

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Silver pulled the "Home Rule" crap on us, we pay more taxes to the city than we get back in services.

Actually not true. As one who voted twice for breaking away, the net money flows of taxes collected vs city services paid for, show that we would survive with a surplus. As the "cash cow" for NYC, it was the inactions of Assembly head Silver that did not allow it to come to an Assembly vote even after the State Senate and then Gov. Mario Cuomo allowed it to go through.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
UPDATE:

Per Lindsay, he will be implementing the idea I proposed:

- New York County (Manhattan) will be changed to New York City

- All data and live feeds currently assigned to the four outer boroughs will be migrated to the New York City page

- The four outer boroughs will all point to the New York City page

In effect, this will eliminate Bronx County, Kings County, Queens County and Richmond County. It's not really that big of a change, considering 99% of the data already resides in New York County. It merely consolidates everything into a single New York City entity.

Last edited:

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I like that change. It is especially good for "out-of-towners" that aren't familiar with the county system here or, for that matter, with the borough system.

This is in spite of my original post that started this discussion. Go figure.

Funny thing, when you stated that this was being approved by Lindsey, I immediately thought of Mayor Lindsey, not Lindsey Blanton! I guess all of the discussion about NYC history here had me thinking about the past..,

Best,
Jim in Queens

W2NJS

You mean John V. Lindsay, or, as he called himself in one campaign for Congress before he became mayor, "The District's pride, the Nation's hope"? None of us who lived there when he was mayor want to revisit those days! Well, maybe some do, but I sure don't.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
This is the database forum... Lets keep to the topic of the database and leave the politics out.

Status
Not open for further replies.