New York State DOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber

ak716

Premium Subscriber
In Erie County, surprisingly enough, I've seen them on some FRS/Walmart Clarence rack radios. Yes, DOT, not contractors

Dan_M

Premium Subscriber

k2hz

Database Admin
NYS DOT Is most active in the winter, they do all the road work in WNY on all state roads simplex low 47Mhz band radios. I pick them up on RT5 Rt.20 and so on. DOT Thruway is on UHF and does all Thruway and ramps.

NYSDOT does not maintain the Thruway. The NY State Thruway Authority is a separate entity. In response to the OP's question, NYSDOT has several UHF frequencies that are used for flagger's portable radios. Since these are simplex portables you will only be able to hear activity very close to the job site.

On the Low Band system DOT uses split frequency simplex for truck to dispatcher and simplex for truck to truck like the NYSP VHF system.

k2hz

Database Admin
In Erie County, surprisingly enough, I've seen them on some FRS/Walmart Clarence rack radios. Yes, DOT, not contractors
While the DOT has licensed UHF portable frequencies and radios, I am not surprised that crews may have found it more convenient to get their own FRS radios. The DOT UHF frequencies are not in the RRDB since there is no way to verify use unless you happen to be at a job site.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
In the Capital Region (Albany area) simplex on their low band frequencies is prevalent. However, I’ve also hear activity on their UHF frequencies. Don’t have it in front of me now. But I can look at logged activity later.

k2hz

Database Admin
In the Capital Region (Albany area) simplex on their low band frequencies is prevalent. However, I’ve also hear activity on their UHF frequencies. Don’t have it in front of me now. But I can look at logged activity later.
Many years ago, they did some trials with UHF links for Low Band base remote control. It did not seem to last, at least in my area. Then use of the UHF frequencies for portables turned up. I have not had any direct involvement with DOT for a long time so I have no idea what they are doing now on UHF. The Low Band system seems to be the same as always.

k2hz

Database Admin
So they would use mobile to mobile on traffic detail while on road jobs
Generally no since only in truck radios. Mobile to mobile mostly used coordinating things like plowing or to talk to truck en-route to job but never heard any flaggers or actual job site crew activity on there. AFAIK they do not have Low Band portables.

KC2zZe

Here in my corner of Region 8-4, I've heard the Department of Transportation use 47.3200 (123.0) portable-to-portable. Mobile-to-mobile is on 47.2200 (123.0).

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
Here in my corner of Region 8-4, I've heard the Department of Transportation use 47.3200 (123.0) portable-to-portable. Mobile-to-mobile is on 47.2200 (123.0).
What radios are they using? Low Band portables are rare these days.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
What radios are they using? Low Band portables are rare these days.
Im wondering too, It was probably a Kenwood TK-190, or either it was an old Motorola MT1000, HT750/HT1250, Vertex Standard VX-510 or some Midland portable. Im unaware of other major two way companies in the last 2 decades that made lowband portables marketed in the US

k2hz

Database Admin
DOT certainly could have purchased some TK-190 radios based on their system maintenance contracts. The UHF portables I was aware of probably go back almost 20 years which I was I am not surprised to hear they may be using FRS radios in some areas.

BITT211

just texted dot supervisor , elm/ oak station , buffalo - low band -47.22 , radios are junk , years outdated - flagman -they have vertex portables , uhf , low power , no repeaters , short tx range, thats what using in buffalo shop. years ago the
dot was suppose to install , statewide ma-com system , think that was name of system , spent millions$$$$ , installed /removed the brand new radios , never used , trashed somewhere. im glad i retired from dot 2005

BITT211

YUP , that was it , nysdot installed these radios in all equipment , sat there for years , never used , removed , where did all that cost go! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
In the Capital District (just outside of Albany) I hear them on the following frequencies:
47.04 (PL 141.3)
47.40 (PL 123.0)
47.02 (PL 151.4)
47.06 (PL 136.5)
47.18 (PL 118.8)
47.22 (PL 123.0)
47.24 (PL 103.5)
47.28 (PL 179.9)
47.32 (PL 173.8)
47.36 (PL 141.3)
453.1375 (PL 186.2)
453.6125 (PL 110.9)

i would have to go and look at the software for the frequencies that are the most active. If I get the chance to do so I will update that information soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.